SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do I need to do to connect my propane grill to the propane line on my deck? Update page 2, done.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to do to connect my propane grill to the propane line on my deck? Update page 2, done. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I had my builder add a propane line to my deck so that I can have a permanent connection to my grill. I have a 500 gallon propane tank.

It looks like the propane is already regulated for appliances. But I'm not really sure if there's anything I need to know other than finding the right gas line for the grill. The line it has now is to connect to a 20 lb tank.

This is the line coming into the house, and the line at the grill spot...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Dunno about the laws in MA, but I’m going to bet permanent installation of a gas appliance requires a professional.

As much as I don’t like .gov, this one is probably a good rule.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
That would seem a bit much don't you think? I mean, assuming it's not a regulator or something. If it's just a different line it's not a big deal. I connect the 20 lb tank to the grill multiple times a year.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop by your propane supplier and ask for the proper fittings for going from 1/2" black pipe to your grill. They will probably supply you with a quick disconnect.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Generally you only want 2 regulators, one at the tank and one at the appliance. The regulator on the house is there for the home appliances.

I'm assuming your deck line is supplying gas before the regulator on the house? This being the case, you'll want to keep the regulator on your grill.

You'll also want to make it a strict habit to turn the gas on when needed, and off when not in use at the valve. Grills are notorious for getting turned on our leaking, so you don't want anything with that risk maintaining an open connection to your big propane tank.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15711 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Should paint your black pipe.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30382 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I get the propane company to have their trained, licensed, and insured guy do that kind of stuff, even at the ranch, where the chances of a code inspection are nil.

Posts: 26886 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
That would seem a bit much don't you think? I mean, assuming it's not a regulator or something. If it's just a different line it's not a big deal.

Not a bit much, flammable fuel.... no experience... not something for the untrained.
But that's not what you want to hear.

Posts: 10051 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Well, first you'll need a 1-7/8" Spangler Wrench..., then..., I just call a really good friend of mine who's also my HVAC guy. He does anything we need that involves a licensed electrician, or anything involving natural gas.
He installed the line for our natural gas Weber grill (different stuff needed vs. the propane version). He also installed our gas logs.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Call the gas company. Here they will usually move the gas line, or extend it for you just so some idiot doens't do something unsafe.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
First, you will love the fact of not having to change out the stupid 20 lbers. I used to go thru up to 20/yr. (yes I grill all year round even in snow storms!) Secondly, get your gas company to do it. Simply leave it to the professionals. Gas line sizing/ shut offs and codes. Pay the money, be safe and enjoy the (near) endless supply of gas grilling with out swapping out tanks mid-grill. Best of luck!!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Regulations vary by state, many are now governed by the IRC.

A flexible line will be OK, the builder should be willing to help you out, we would.

Line pressure is a thing, and depending on the needed supply, yes a grill connection needs some professional love.

If the builder won't help you with this, may his rectum itch.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I hooked mine up years ago.
Easy to do.
They make quick disconnects for your grill, similar to air hose quick disconnects. You can get them at a grill store. Install the female end to your valve sticking up out of the deck. Use pipe dope rated for LP gas. DO NOT USE WHITE THRED TAPE.
Make sure you turn off your valve when grill is not un use. DO NOT rely on your knobs for your burners.
The hose you get will be able to hook up to your grill.
Any good grill shop should be able to get you set up.
The regulator on the house in the pix you show is indeed to regulate pressure for your indoor appliances. As long as the pipe on the deck is hooked in AFTER that regulator you will not need another at the grill. You also have a regulator at the big tank.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1112 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a customer of my propane dealer for 10 years. When I added a whole house propane generator he came out and trenched the line, supplied materials and labor at no cost to me and it was a 35 foot run. I would think any charge to you would not be much but I would try to negotiate it with your supplier.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Get with the company that made your grill and see if they have accessories to do it.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I converted mine using something similar to this. Note this does NOT come with new jets, which you will need (larger opening for nat gas). If you get a kit, make sure it comes with a regulator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ki...t-710-0003/204268072

Posts: 5752 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I converted mine using something similar to this. Note this does NOT come with new jets, which you will need (larger opening for nat gas). If you get a kit, make sure it comes with a regulator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ki...t-710-0003/204268072

The OP still has propane, not NG.

Posts: 33734 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Okay so I'll just have the propane company that owns our propane tank do the work. I just figured it's nothing more than having a gas line to the grill since the propane line is already on the deck. I'm sure that's probably all it is but I guess better safe than sorry. I just hate overpaying others to do simple stuff.

These go to eleven.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Posts 4 and 5 hold your answer. Assuming you have 1/2" pipe, you are converting from male iron pipe thread to quick disconnect. You can get a quick disconnect hose. Your propane supplier should have what you need. Close shutoff valve fully. Remove cap from end of pipe. Get a teflon tape rated for propane. Wrap end. Screw on adapter. Insert quick connect hose. Screw other end into grill fitting.

You're not the first to do this. Soap your joints to check for leaks. Use shutoff on pipe when done. Let grill burn off propane in line from valve to grill, then turn off grill.

Don't be skeerd. Just show the propane guy whay you have and tell him what you're doing.

Should take less than 30 minutes and cost less than $50 (I am going high to allow for different hose lengths ).

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Posts 4 and 5 hold your answer. Assuming you have 1/2" pipe, you are converting from male iron pipe thread to quick disconnect. You can get a quick disconnect hose. Your propane supplier should have what you need. Close shutoff valve fully. Remove cap from end of pipe. Get a teflon tape rated for propane. Wrap end. Screw on adapter. Insert quick connect hose. Screw other end into grill fitting.

You're not the first to do this. Soap your joints to check for leaks. Use shutoff on pipe when done. Let grill burn off propane in line from valve to grill, then turn off grill.

Don't be skeerd. Just show the propane guy whay you have and tell him what you're doing.

Should take less than 30 minutes and cost less than $50 (I am going high to allow for different hose lengths ).

This was sort of the answer I expected. I was surprised with all the folks telling me to hire a pro.

What I can say is the propane is already regulated, at least into the house. The line to the deck is the same line going to our range and wall oven. So it is downstream of the house regulator. So the question, I guess, is do ovens have regulators or are they just set up for house pressures? Does my grill require the same pressure as my range? If the answer is yes then I just need the line and fittings. I'm not afraid of checking for leaks and being sure it's all good.

ETA: Weber offers the option to buy "Bulk LP Kit". They are $50-$80. Probably more than I need to spend, but if it's the right thing then it seems like a no brainer. I'll call them tomorrow.

These go to eleven.