SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do I need to do to connect my propane grill to the propane line on my deck? Update page 2, done.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to do to connect my propane grill to the propane line on my deck? Update page 2, done. Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
In your first photo, is the supply side coming up to go into house? If yes, then your deck pipe could be on the "high" side of thr regulator (round device in photo). If that is the case, your grill will continue to use a regulator (likely inline on hose you currently affix to 20# tank).

I don't think you would have any issue even if you have 2 regulators. Issues would be not having 1 regulator and there being too much pressure.

If you have a weber, their kit will be direct fit and probably cost more. It might not have enough hose to place the grill where you want if the stub up isn't close to right location. You are right, you are paying a premium at that price. Even their site says to call in the pros.

Going the propane dealer route might result in an extra fitting (read potential leak point), but it will be cheaper and allow the correct hose length should you need more than about 24".

Now, I am saying what I have based on previously doing something similar. I still have all fingers, toes, and eye brows. There was no loud boom or big fireball. Soaping the connections told me there were no leaks.

As long as you don't get in a hurry, check your work, and then soap your connections under preasure, you can do this. If a fitting is "blowing bubbles," you've got a leak. Disassemble, tape and reassemble. Soap again.

You can buy premade fitting test liquid or make your own. Add a good amount of dishsoap to water and gently mix (don't make a ton of bubbles). You can then take this outside, and pour it over the fittings (use a spray bottle if you want, I am giving you the tightwad's method...).

I can in no way be responsible for any harm you cause yourself, others, or your sweet new house, but if you're gonna fail, fail spectacularly. Give people something to talk about. Earn your moment of fame. Brush yourself off and keep on going down the road.

Show us the fancy meat feast of celebration when completed.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Posts 4 and 5 hold your answer. Assuming you have 1/2" pipe, you are converting from male iron pipe thread to quick disconnect. You can get a quick disconnect hose. Your propane supplier should have what you need. Close shutoff valve fully. Remove cap from end of pipe. Get a teflon tape rated for propane. Wrap end. Screw on adapter. Insert quick connect hose. Screw other end into grill fitting.

You're not the first to do this. Soap your joints to check for leaks. Use shutoff on pipe when done. Let grill burn off propane in line from valve to grill, then turn off grill.

Don't be skeerd. Just show the propane guy whay you have and tell him what you're doing.

Should take less than 30 minutes and cost less than $50 (I am going high to allow for different hose lengths ).

This was sort of the answer I expected. I was surprised with all the folks telling me to hire a pro.

What I can say is the propane is already regulated, at least into the house. The line to the deck is the same line going to our range and wall oven. So it is downstream of the house regulator. So the question, I guess, is do ovens have regulators or are they just set up for house pressures? Does my grill require the same pressure as my range? If the answer is yes then I just need the line and fittings. I'm not afraid of checking for leaks and being sure it's all good.

ETA: Weber offers the option to buy "Bulk LP Kit". They are $50-$80. Probably more than I need to spend, but if it's the right thing then it seems like a no brainer. I'll call them tomorrow.

I think that Weber kit is the ticket. If your not comfortable get your propane company to do it. I can do some money saving things but don’t fiddle around with gas.

A side note we sell gas natural ranges. When we do the conversions to propane we do them in the customer’s home to get it right. If not we recommend the end user get with the propane company.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The first picture is supply from the tank coming from the dirt to the regulator and into the house. This is the front of the house. The line goes into the basement, to the furnace, stove, and out to the deck. Everything is after the regulator.

I’m not concerned at all about making gas connections. Just want to be sure the pressure is correct. My home appliances were converted at the house during installation. I was here when the builder received the appliances and made sure they sent the propane conversion kits.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
So, as expected, I took the answers I wanted and did this myself. I confirmed the pressure was regulated into my house and that it is the same as the Weber specification.

I bought the kit from Weber directly. Only one annoyance was it didn't come with some of the fittings to reduce the connection. I was surprised because the instruction diagram shows the reducer fittings. So anyhow I ordered them at a propane supply house, connected everything and the grill is working great.

I soaped the hell out of it to check for leaks. I just can't see paying someone for such a simple job. I realize it's gas, but it's been my experience that the licensed plumbers that come out aren't doing any magic, they make the connection and check for leaks.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Medium - medium well. Wink

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's a whole lotta real estate sticking up out of the floor .
please consider protecting it all against

a side ways force,
I tend to err on the side of caution.

and what are those blue things for ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
that's a whole lotta real estate sticking up out of the floor .
please consider protecting it all against

a side ways force,
I tend to err on the side of caution.

and what are those blue things for ?

Yeah I think I’ll put something around the pipe to protect it. The blue thing was just to keep the quick connect from getting lost. I guess I should have taken it off. Lol

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
It looks well done. I'd keep the shut off valve, shut off when not using the grill.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It looks well done. I'd keep the shut off valve, shut off when not using the grill.

Absolutely. I've laid down that rule. I said, hey if it's left on and the grill is leaking we will lose $1000 worth of propane, not a $20 tank.

These go to eleven.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you desire to shorten it, get "close" nipples. That would reduce your length out of the shutoff significantly.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job! The only thing that might have been different is a ¾" male x Quick-Disconnect screwed directly into the valve, instead of the ¾" nipple, reducing coupling, and ½" nipple. Reduce the number of fittings. Although I'm not sure that fitting exists.

Then again, if you had called in a 'professional', they would have grabbed whatever was handy in their truck, and it would probably not have looked so spiffy!

There are lots of things a layperson can do instead of hiring a professional. The difference is when something is not right in the material or other condition, which only familiarity or experience can identify.

You want to inspect the threads prior to assembly. Hand tightening fittings together without pipe dope is a great safety tip for the accomplished amateur. They should easily screw together 5-6 threads deep if the threads are clean. In general, gas pipe is not installed Hercules-tight. But tight enough.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Beautiful job! The only thing that might have been different is a ¾" male x Quick-Disconnect screwed directly into the valve, instead of the ¾" nipple, reducing coupling, and ½" nipple. Reduce the number of fittings. Although I'm not sure that fitting exists.

Brass bushing in the valve would have solved the sizing issue nicely.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yes it would have. We're prohibited from using bushings on gas lines, though.

Only the gas utility gets away with bushings on gas lines. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As background I've worked in Risk Management for an insurance company that insures propane (LP) distribution companies for 28 years.
Call your distributor and ask them for guidance.
LP is different than natural gas. It's heavier than air while natural gas is lighter than air.
It's wicked shit not to be taken lightly.
YouTube BLEVE to see some fun videos.
When you see in the news that a house was launched into orbit killing an entire family 95% of the time it's LP. High percentage of those are homeowner's who did their own install of an appliance like a stove or grill.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post