SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arterial blood gas test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arterial blood gas test Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Now I am going to be sent for an arterial blood gas test. I think one was done a few years back.

I read what and how these are done, no problem.

What is done once the results are in? What if you are low?

I’m already on supplemental O2 24/7 6 lpm.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Probably just checking the adequacy of your O2 therapy. The test looks at things like O2 levels, pH, CO2 levels, kidney function to a degree and metabolic state. Many numbers are reported and so there is not really one high or low result.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We look not only at oxygenation level (which is done pretty well with a finger oximeter), but also CO2 level. The result, simplified, shows partial pressure of oxygen (PAO2), partial pressure of CO2) (PCO2) and pH (acid-base balance).
If you are hyperventilating to get to an adequate PO2 level, the PCO2 level is low, and you would probably show acidosis (pH <7). If your PCO2 level is normal but PO2 (oxygen) level is low, then you are not getting enough oxygen.
That might explain some of your posts. J/K.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing a pulse oximeter for more than 5 years, for frequent readings. When I am sitting here on my bed innocently posting on the Forum, my O2 is in the high 90’s. When I get up to walk to my mobility scooter ~20’ from here, it might to down to 80’s. I just got out of the shower and after drying off, I was in the high 60’s. At that point you sit down or lay down and do nothing but breathe, and it goes up within a minute or so bsck to the 90s.

It is definitely proportional to effort.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That's a test often done in the pulmonology office--have the patient walk a defined amount of time and measure the fall in O2 saturation.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
That's a test often done in the pulmonology office--have the patient walk a defined amount of time and measure the fall in O2 saturation.

Ahh, the “6 minute walk!” If the O2 level falls below 90, you get put on supplemental O2.

I’m a grizzled veteran of those. I think I still hold the course record at Coronado Hospital back when I could cover some ground.

They don’t even bother with those with me anymore.

What is the ramification of CO2 levels in the blood? What do they do if it is out of limit?

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Jstill: Isn't that backwards? Low PCO2 = respiratory alkalosis sec to hyperventilation? Been a long time since I worried about blood gases or acid/base issues.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Low PCO2 = respiratory alkalosis sec to hyperventilation? Been a long time since I worried about blood gases or acid/base issues.

I think it's been even longer since I did. You're right. I was thinking as I wrote it--"Is that right??" Thanks for correction.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
my O2 is in the high 90’s

That must feel amazing, mine usually hovers around 82%. I got it down to about 67% a few years back.

ETA: I once had two blood gases done at the same time. The skill of the vampire makes a huge difference.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
my O2 is in the high 90’s

That must feel amazing, mine usually hovers around 82%. I got it down to about 67% a few years back.

Jeepers!

Right this moment, sitting here on my bed watching Tour de France, I have 98%. A moment ago, when I walked out to the kitchen to start the oven, and back, maybe 10 yards each way, I was 72% and out of breath. The lowest I have seen on my oximenter is 63%, and it wasn't any fun. Low 70’s isn’t either, truth to tell.

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jallen. I always read you posts.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Personal question:
Are lungs transplantable? Are you a candidate?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Personal question:
Are lungs transplantable? Are you a candidate?

Yes.

No. Too old now.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
JA—Did your Dr explain why he wanted test?
I’m assuming they’ll leave you on your O2, but maybe they’ll do it on room air. Either way it should tell them what they already know. And I wouldn’t suspect in a new house you have a CO problem.
If your Liquid or Concentrator goes to 10, I’d crank it up for exertion, then back down once you get it together. But it’s a lot of up and down, and the equipment isn’t usually right next to you. We used to have to exercise IPF pts on higher flows, it’s not usual, but doable. Check with Dr first.
They can bleed 2 Liquid systems together to get higher flow. Has your Dr suggested this?
You do wear your O2 in the shower right? And sit?
It’s all about taking your time and not rushing.
Maybe throw a thick Terry Cloth robe on and sit for awhile when you exit shower and let it do most of your drying for you.
How accurate is your POx? Have you ever checked against ones at the Drs office?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
JA—Did your Dr explain why he wanted test?
I’m assuming they’ll leave you on your O2, but maybe they’ll do it on room air. Either way it should tell them what they already know. And I wouldn’t suspect in a new house you have a CO problem.
If your Liquid or Concentrator goes to 10, I’d crank it up for exertion, then back down once you get it together. But it’s a lot of up and down, and the equipment isn’t usually right next to you. We used to have to exercise IPF pts on higher flows, it’s not usual, but doable. Check with Dr first.
They can bleed 2 Liquid systems together to get higher flow. Has your Dr suggested this?
You do wear your O2 in the shower right? And sit?
It’s all about taking your time and not rushing.
Maybe throw a thick Terry Cloth robe on and sit for awhile when you exit shower and let it do most of your drying for you.
How accurate is your POx? Have you ever checked against ones at the Drs office?

My oximeter is always within a click of the doctors, has been for years, various doctors.

I’ve been using O2 in the shower for a long time. I’m starting to shower and dry like that, no choice.

The concentrator is in another room, for noise reasons. 6-7 is ok until I start using muscles. Ome problem is my nose runs when I get around our water. It is hard to breathe through my nose when it is running like crazy. I also have bloody nose periodically, so need to manage the humidifier in the unit a bit better.

I’m not sure higher flows would help, since I am breathing as hard as I can. The lungs just don’t work any better any more.

What I am trying to figure out is what might be suggested if this test turns out one way or the other.

posted Hide Post
quote:
What I am trying to figure out is what might be suggested if this test turns out one way or the other.

My physicians often fail to explain unless I ask. I typically ask why before agreeing to a test. Sometimes it is just for documentation.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post