SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Bird Made This Nest?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bird Made This Nest? Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
A very good friend found this nest in a hedge row at his home and he is curious what type of bird did it belong to?

He lives in Godfrey IL, which is near St. Louis MO, if that helps. He added the nest is about the size of a small tennis ball.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oriole?

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Cornell Ornithology app on the phone might help. Merlin is its name, I think. You can take pictures and it thinks about them for you.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am going to guess this:

Red-eyed vireo, Vireo olivaceus : Red-eyed vireos build their nests at any height, but always in a deciduous tree. Their nests can be found in both forest and edge habitat. The nest is always a hanging cup suspended along its edges from a thin, horizontal, forked branch. It is a neat, tidy, compact structure that will have bits of birch bark, and usually also wasp paper, decorating the outside. The inside cup diameter of a vireo nest is 2 inches.

https://northernwoodlands.org/...-bird-made-that-nest

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The “where the hell did my nest go.” bird? Big Grin

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Be careful bringing old birds nests into the house. Back when I was in middle school (small international school in Prague, Czech Republic. About 40 kids...we met in a house) we found an old abandoned bird's nest while playing in the woods during lunch break. We brought it back to show our science teacher, and set it on the window sill above the radiator. About halfway through Czech class (last class of the day), somebody noticed a tiny spider skittering across the table. Next thing you know, they start appearing everywhere. Then somebody looked over at the nest and there were literally thousands of spiders swarming out of it...dropping down from the window sill on tiny strands of silk like soldiers fast-roping out of a Blackhawk...and swarming all over the floor! Eek

Apparently the spiders had decided that an abandoned bird's nest would be a good place to lay their eggs, and when we brought it inside and warmed it up they all started to hatch. It was like something out of a horror movie...but we did get out of school early that day! Big Grin

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thread drift….

Reminds me I need to order a new Martin house after the last condos got blown away during Ida

Thanks for the thread. I’d forgotten

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6222 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Bird mites. You don't want to touch nests. You will go crazy with the itching, and you won't see them.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post