SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found A Pic Of My Grandfather Breaking The Law And Taking A Selfie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found A Pic Of My Grandfather Breaking The Law And Taking A Selfie Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
My grampa was a true bad ass. Fought in WWI, made trench art, based in the swamps of Florida after the Great War, moonshiner, made stills at the air base with the help of German POW's in WWII, built M1 Garands out of stolen parts before they could be bought as surplus.

I have an album of these pictures I am going to restore that my older brother sent me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Sounds like 'Merica!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. My sister sent me some old photos last weekend. Fond memories.
Remember, some laws were meant to be broken.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Working the still in a tie. That's a stylish gentleman.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12769 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He's in uniform.... Wink

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, then that was perfectly legal for the government to make alternative fuels for the effort. Yeah, that's it, making fuel...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my grandfather was a rum runner from Bermuda to Nova Scotia back in the old days

he had some great stores before he passed

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Badass!

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
And a little proof for the pudding.

Like 180 proof.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
I had a great-uncle who was rumored to have been, at various times during Prohibition, a Federal Liquor Inspector and a tail-gunner on a beer truck.

While he was a Liquor Inspector it's said that he once visited a Doctor who had impeccable books. Telling some fellow inspectors about it, they informed him that he had just audited the books of Al Capone's personal physician.

I don't know if either story is true, but they sure-as-hell should be! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
And when the judge only wants the best hooch there is and doesn't want to lose his supply....

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Art of the Deal! Big Grin

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Those that have come to our shoots have to to shoot his 1911.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What part of Florida was he in??? my family (mom's side) is from Lafayette County Fla...My Pop-Pop married Leon Sherrod-sister of Robert Sherrod of WWII fame (author) who was a Georgia Peach Smile

ETA that the Sherrods were from Thomas County GA.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He moved to Miami until his death in 1966.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Miami. I found his death records.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here he is not long before he died.

I have this Garand.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Cool story, and pictures!
Not a snowflake around in that time and country!!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Sounds like 'Merica!

CORRECTION:
Sounds like South Florida!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post