Manual coffee grinder

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6470058944

November 21, 2018, 07:52 AM
Georgeair
Manual coffee grinder
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Capresso Conical Burr. The best I have ever used. Metal body $150, plastic body $80 on Amazon.

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grinders.html

This is what we got at the same time as the MochaMaster.

Help me understand the advantages to manual, other than the nostalgia. Not discounting that, our ice cream freezer is an older hand-crank White Mountain!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

November 21, 2018, 08:04 AM
steelcityfishanddive
There might not be. I dunno. Since it's just usually myself who drinks a cup I wasn't sure if an electric would be the way to go.
November 21, 2018, 08:36 AM
bobandmikako
I have the manual Hario Skerton and the Baratza Virtuoso. The Skerton works well but I wish I would have just bought the Baratza from the beginning. Even though I don't drink much coffee myself anymore, it's nice to be able to quickly grind some up for family or friends visiting. I bought both on sale from Seattle Coffee Gear.

十人十色
November 21, 2018, 08:38 AM
fpuhan
If you absolutely must have a manual and don't want to mortgage your house for it, you might look at the Hero Manual Coffee Grinder-Conical Ceramic Burr Mill, Adjustable Hand Precision Brewing, Black at Amazon for $29.50 (prime).

I've been using a Chefmate electric grinder for so many years I can't even find it online anymore. I make one-two cups at a time, so I don't need to grind big batches.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
November 21, 2018, 09:28 AM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Capresso Conical Burr. The best I have ever used. Metal body $150, plastic body $80 on Amazon.

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grinders.html

Have the same one - love it.
I broke the turn knob from using it so much and called the company and got one right way for $5.
Use it every day and it is adjustable for different grinds.
Paid around $90 as I recall and worth every penny.
November 21, 2018, 01:47 PM
SigSentry
Hario Skerton Pro. I can attach a drill to it to speed up the process.
November 21, 2018, 02:13 PM
229DAK
I have the Hario Skerton hand grinder and an electric KitchenAid coffee/spice grinder. I cannot tell the difference between hand or electric ground coffee.

November 21, 2018, 02:29 PM
parabellum
https://p1.liveauctioneers.com...auto=webp&quality=50
November 22, 2018, 12:03 AM
wingspar
I’ve had this Bodum electric grinder for 5 or 6 years. I use it daily. Adjustable from course for French Press to fine for espresso. Never a problem with it. Comes in several colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-G...ts=p_89%3ABodum&th=1

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
November 23, 2018, 09:14 PM
steelcityfishanddive
Well down the hole I went today. Ordered the Baratza Encore grinder from Seattle Coffee Works at 10% off and then a Bonavita Connoisseur off Ebay for a little over a $100 new.

Thanks all for the help and recommendations.
November 23, 2018, 10:47 PM
Sig Sauer Kraut
Sounds like you’re all set. Congrats on the purchases. Looks like a nice coffee maker. I’m cursed to be the only coffee drinker in the house so I just do a pour over when I don’t make espresso.
December 07, 2018, 10:40 AM
steelcityfishanddive
Well I've tried to make two pots of coffee with the new Bonavita Connoisseur and two fails so far. I used the Costa Rican stuff I've been using in my reusable K cup thing. All ready ground for a drip brewer. The first pot I used the Goldtone filter that is supposed to be for this maker. There was definitely some room left in the brewing basket once I put the filter in. It ended up overflowing and some grounds made there way into the pot during the brewing. Coffee came out weak and bitter. I used 12 Tablespoons with 6 cups of water. So I chalked this up to an incorrect filter. Returning the Goldtone back to Amazon.

Tried again today with the supplied paper filters. Once again I did 12 tablespoons with and filled to the 6 cup line. The paper filter fit appropriately and there was no overflow. The spent grounds looked good in the basket. Still come out weak and bitter.

Haven't used the grinder yet with my new bag of Kona beans. Trying to get this dialed in with the stuff I have first so I don't waste the Kona.
December 07, 2018, 10:48 AM
Sig Sauer Kraut
I do a pour over but I do it by weight. I’d start with a 15-1 ratio of water to grounds and adjust from there.
December 07, 2018, 10:50 AM
Sig Sauer Kraut
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
I do a pour over but I do it by weight. I’d start with a 15-1 ratio of water to grounds and adjust from there.

If it came out weak, the ground could also be too corse. Hard to tell but that’s one potential cause.
December 07, 2018, 12:14 PM
Elk Hunter
My wife being German we hand ground coffee beans for decades. I am sure the grinder is around here somewhere, but it would be an "antique" since it is at least 60 years old. Was still working when she decided to get one of those new-fangled electric ones.

Since moved away from that and just buy Kirkland premium coffee in 3 lb cans.

There is some enhanced flavor to freshly ground beans, but I guess she decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

After 6 years of drinking coffee made in a number 10 can, over a camp fire, and 11 years of army coffee (more than half of which was out in the field) I have not been real choosy when it comes to coffee.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
December 07, 2018, 04:01 PM
Rightwire
I have one from my great grandfathers general store that dispenses into a mason jar that screws into the bottom. It looks like a lot of work

In the from of the store he had one of these, every bit of 5' tall

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
December 07, 2018, 07:06 PM
OKCGene
BTW rinse the paper filter under cold running water first. Wash the paper dust and stuff out.