SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manual coffee grinder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual coffee grinder Login/Join 
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted
Down this rabbit hole we go. Just had a buddy bring back some whole Kona beans I requested and now I'm looking to pick up a good manual grinder with the sales this weekend. I was looking at the Epare grinder but not sure if there's better in that price range.

What say the worldly folks of SF?

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You might check Lehmans.com for a manual. LINK

Not to derail your request, but check SeattleCoffeeGear dot com for Black Friday sales. I'll highly recommend a Baratza Virtuoso electric grinder, it's a lot of bang for the buck. LINK

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll highly recommend a Baratza Virtuoso electric grinder, it's a lot of bang for the buck.
+1 on the Virtuoso. I bought both mine and my Dad's at Roastmasters so it's another spot to check for Black Friday deals.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Unless you've done it before, you may be surprised how much work hand grinding can be.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Unless you've done it before, you may be surprised how much work hand grinding can be.

That's why I have teenage sons. They've got to be good for something.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, new to trying grinding my own coffee. Really that much work? I didn't think much of it.

Anyone have a reasonably priced electric grinder to start with? A $200+ grinder is a bit steep to jump into right away.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
You might check Lehmans.com for a manual. LINK

Not to derail your request, but check SeattleCoffeeGear dot com for Black Friday sales. I'll highly recommend a Baratza Virtuoso electric grinder, it's a lot of bang for the buck. LINK

Good luck to you.

How does the Encore compare to the Virtuoso?

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Baratza.

Yes, they are a bit pricey, but they definitely fall into the category of "buy once, cry once".

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6365 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should also say I'll be looking for more of a drip grind to use in a reusable K-cup thing.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:

IIRC, the Virtuoso is the one to go with if you are grinding beans for espresso. I bought a used Virtuoso and had it for years. When I needed a new one, I went with the Encore and it is outstanding.

NOTE: If you check the Baratza website, they occasionally have refurbished grinders at significant savings.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6365 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I have the hario skerton ceramic grinder. I use it every 2-3 days. It takes a little elbow grease but I don't think it's that bad. I've been using it for 4 years now, it's held up well and makes consistently sized grounds. I use this with a chimex pour over pot. All of this actually helps limit my coffee intake so that I can drink water through out the day too.

Hario Skerton Ceramic

Edited to add that it screws directly onto a mason jar, so that's kind of handy too.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Never ground my own, but a bean fell in the sink at my place in Can-eh-duh and stopped the Badger garbage disposal so I had to hand crank that. I had no interest in hand grinding coffee before and have even less after.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:

IIRC, the Virtuoso is the one to go with if you are grinding beans for espresso. I bought a used Virtuoso and had it for years. When I needed a new one, I went with the Encore and it is outstanding.

NOTE: If you check the Baratza website, they occasionally have refurbished grinders at significant savings.

So looks they have a refurb Encore for $100. My other leading option would be the manual Hario pro for $50ish.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A new one is $140. IMO, you can't go wrong getting a mfr refurb'd grinder for $100.

posted Hide Post
I have a few dozen of coffee grinders dateing back to the mid 1700’s that all are manual

Buy a good quality modern electric Burr grinder

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have a manual Turkish coffee grinder, but it's pretty much relegated to power out backup and road trips.
The rest of the time my ancient Braun ceramic cone grinder still works like a champ.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You can buy a used Braun burr grinder on eBay, like I did to replace an older one.

You want f:1" target="_blank">this model , not the blender blade type.
[Sorry about the screwy looking link, but it works.]

Posts: 18011 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Encore can do espresso but the Virtuoso is better at it. The virtuoso is also faster than the Encore. I have an Encore and I like it a lot. It does an extremely even grind...if it goes tits up on me I’ll buy another Encore. No question about it.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Capresso Conical Burr. The best I have ever used. Metal body $150, plastic body $80 on Amazon.

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grinders.html

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4249 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I've got a $24 JavaPresse conical burr grinder from Amazon that seems to work well. But then again, I'm new to the whole French press/whole bean thing. I'm not expert enough to be talking about hickory undernotes and hints of whatever, but it's a LOT better than Folgers. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post