SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manual coffee grinder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual coffee grinder Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Capresso Conical Burr. The best I have ever used. Metal body $150, plastic body $80 on Amazon.

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grinders.html

This is what we got at the same time as the MochaMaster.

Help me understand the advantages to manual, other than the nostalgia. Not discounting that, our ice cream freezer is an older hand-crank White Mountain!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
There might not be. I dunno. Since it's just usually myself who drinks a cup I wasn't sure if an electric would be the way to go.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have the manual Hario Skerton and the Baratza Virtuoso. The Skerton works well but I wish I would have just bought the Baratza from the beginning. Even though I don't drink much coffee myself anymore, it's nice to be able to quickly grind some up for family or friends visiting. I bought both on sale from Seattle Coffee Gear.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If you absolutely must have a manual and don't want to mortgage your house for it, you might look at the Hero Manual Coffee Grinder-Conical Ceramic Burr Mill, Adjustable Hand Precision Brewing, Black at Amazon for $29.50 (prime).

I've been using a Chefmate electric grinder for so many years I can't even find it online anymore. I make one-two cups at a time, so I don't need to grind big batches.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Capresso Conical Burr. The best I have ever used. Metal body $150, plastic body $80 on Amazon.

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grinders.html

Have the same one - love it.
I broke the turn knob from using it so much and called the company and got one right way for $5.
Use it every day and it is adjustable for different grinds.
Paid around $90 as I recall and worth every penny.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Hario Skerton Pro. I can attach a drill to it to speed up the process.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I have the Hario Skerton hand grinder and an electric KitchenAid coffee/spice grinder. I cannot tell the difference between hand or electric ground coffee.

Posts: 9003 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I’ve had this Bodum electric grinder for 5 or 6 years. I use it daily. Adjustable from course for French Press to fine for espresso. Never a problem with it. Comes in several colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-G...ts=p_89%3ABodum&th=1

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well down the hole I went today. Ordered the Baratza Encore grinder from Seattle Coffee Works at 10% off and then a Bonavita Connoisseur off Ebay for a little over a $100 new.

Thanks all for the help and recommendations.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you’re all set. Congrats on the purchases. Looks like a nice coffee maker. I’m cursed to be the only coffee drinker in the house so I just do a pour over when I don’t make espresso.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I've tried to make two pots of coffee with the new Bonavita Connoisseur and two fails so far. I used the Costa Rican stuff I've been using in my reusable K cup thing. All ready ground for a drip brewer. The first pot I used the Goldtone filter that is supposed to be for this maker. There was definitely some room left in the brewing basket once I put the filter in. It ended up overflowing and some grounds made there way into the pot during the brewing. Coffee came out weak and bitter. I used 12 Tablespoons with 6 cups of water. So I chalked this up to an incorrect filter. Returning the Goldtone back to Amazon.

Tried again today with the supplied paper filters. Once again I did 12 tablespoons with and filled to the 6 cup line. The paper filter fit appropriately and there was no overflow. The spent grounds looked good in the basket. Still come out weak and bitter.

Haven't used the grinder yet with my new bag of Kona beans. Trying to get this dialed in with the stuff I have first so I don't waste the Kona.

posted Hide Post
I do a pour over but I do it by weight. I’d start with a 15-1 ratio of water to grounds and adjust from there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
I do a pour over but I do it by weight. I’d start with a 15-1 ratio of water to grounds and adjust from there.

If it came out weak, the ground could also be too corse. Hard to tell but that’s one potential cause.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My wife being German we hand ground coffee beans for decades. I am sure the grinder is around here somewhere, but it would be an "antique" since it is at least 60 years old. Was still working when she decided to get one of those new-fangled electric ones.

Since moved away from that and just buy Kirkland premium coffee in 3 lb cans.

There is some enhanced flavor to freshly ground beans, but I guess she decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

After 6 years of drinking coffee made in a number 10 can, over a camp fire, and 11 years of army coffee (more than half of which was out in the field) I have not been real choosy when it comes to coffee.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have one from my great grandfathers general store that dispenses into a mason jar that screws into the bottom. It looks like a lot of work

In the from of the store he had one of these, every bit of 5' tall

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW rinse the paper filter under cold running water first. Wash the paper dust and stuff out.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post