SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Four-Post Garage Car Lift - Advice/Insight/Recommendation(s)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Four-Post Garage Car Lift - Advice/Insight/Recommendation(s) Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Make sure whatever lift you buy is ALI certified. American Lift Institute also has lots of info on their website. BendPak would be my choice. Another good idea is to plumb some conduit in the floor pour so you can have an outlet or two right at the lift.
 
Posts: 703 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a four post lift. It’s probably 15+ years old. I believe it is made of USA materials.

Go for 220v. I have 110v and didn’t know any better. It lifts faster. Go hydraulic.

If you’re going to bolt them into the concrete, why do need the dolly system? Mine is in a single car garage and I can’t/don’t ever move it. My dolly gather dust and rust.

My garage floors are 5-6”. I don’t think it’s an issue. I used 1/2 or 3/4” anchors. It’s not going anywhere.

Bendpak is out of Santa Paula, CA. But I believe they’ve moved production to China. It’s still a great product. When I was looking around, there were only a couple USA made brands. Pricey too.

A four post lift is great for storage. If you’re going to work on brakes and suspension stuff, you’ll need the sliding jack bridge. I did all my suspension bits on an old 911 on my four post lift. Nice.

I think you’re in EDH. I’m in Roseville. I’d be happy to show you my set up. There’s an outfit in West Sacramento that does installs and maintenance.


P229
 
Posts: 4153 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
I've had a Bendpak HD-9XW for about 13 years now. I ordered it from ASEDeals.com.

I had to rent a forklift to remove it from the truck that delivered it.

Mine requires compressed air to release the locks. I ran a drop off of my compressed air system to it.

It uses 240V so I put an outlet in the ceiling above the pump. It has a decently quick lift time, probably less than a minute to full height with a 4000 pound car on it. Definitely faster than my father-in-law's 120V (different brand lift) but as a matter of convenience if you already have a 120V close it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

The assembly took me and my dad about 5 hours to do. Beyond the basic tools, 2 hydraulic floor jacks with a 20 inch rise and a furniture dolly were helpful.











You do not need a 2 post to do brake work. It is only slightly inconvenient to raise the car and drop it onto stands. For as frequently as I have the wheels off it's no big deal for me. I'll eventually get the bridge jack.




Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

 
Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Can't add much to what flesheating virus has said. I'm another vote for bendpac. I've had mine, 2 post asymmetric for about 15 years. It's used more for overhead storage of vehicles than working on them,but when I do I thank goodness I made this choice.

I worked in a service station for 9 years before vet school so I've spent a little time under vehicles and would and do trust this one with my life. Lots more safety features than the old ones.

Tommy
 
Posts: 183 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you want to steer clear of Advantage right now - bankrupt as of 8/2026. Here's a synopsis of the situation.

My brother from another mother has a 2 post and a 4 post in his car barn. Started with the 4 post which includes the two center trolley lifts. After a couple of years, he added a two post, because (as mentioned earlier) the runways do get in the way all the time, unless all you're doing is oil changes.

Both of his are Bendpack, and he swears by them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: motor59,




suaviter in modo, fortiter in re
 
Posts: 3253 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Pretty sure you want to steer clear of Advantage right now - bankrupt as of 8/2026. Here's a synopsis of the situation.
Yikes!

I saw a thread at garage journal that the owner owed the Chinese $10M and they refused to make more components for them to assemble. They still took orders for 7 months to the tune of $22M but only delivered a handful of units.

I'm deleting my original post as I don't want to support crooks.



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
 
Posts: 25822 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Pretty sure you want to steer clear of Advantage right now - bankrupt as of 8/2026. Here's a synopsis of the situation.
Yikes!

I saw a thread at garage journal that the owner owed the Chinese $10M and they refused to make more components for them to assemble. They still took orders for 7 months to the tune of $22M but only delivered a handful of units.

I'm deleting my original post as I don't want to support crooks.


Todd-

I removed the quote from my post, so I think you can nuke your initial post entirely now, if you want.




suaviter in modo, fortiter in re
 
Posts: 3253 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Four-Post Garage Car Lift - Advice/Insight/Recommendation(s)

© SIGforum 2026