SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    King Charles' new portrait, Holy Moly!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

King Charles' new portrait, Holy Moly! Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The king has no clothes.

Posts: 17317 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I was reading through the posts to see if that had been posted yet.

Posts: 11153 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe a British term is appropriate:
Twit.
Which applies equally to Chuck, Cammilla and the artist.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16181 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I like it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30551 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The nicest things I can think of to say are that it's not flattering and that it won't stand the test of time

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2083 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winston Churchill had a portrait done he was not happy with. He took it out in the yard and burned it. I would recommend the King take the same action.

Posts: 17180 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Can't help but wonder exactly what drugs are legal in the UK that the artist was taking?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1875 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Regardless of the actual image (hues of red, whatever), one must wonder about the judgment of the person who approved of this portait. It goes against 100% of all previous royal portraits.

If the monarch approved this, the monarch has poor judgment. If the monarch approved this because he adopted the views of the artist, the need to relate to a different generation, etc. the monarch is without a compass. He is not in charge of his own destiny.

Chuck has always been...different. More concerned with his garden, painting and other acts of creativity. I'm suspecting he went down the rabbit-hole with the artist's ideas, thinking he'd put into his hands a portrait that is esoteric, an unconventional format in order for him to be, distinct from past monarchs. He has no sense of taste.

Posts: 14772 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Satan!

https://twitter.com/PtahElDaou.../1790711975070036265

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6860 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I read the title and thought it would be one of these:

At least this thread needs more puppies...

Posts: 9219 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's hideous, and an affront to tradition. It looks like fan art which should be on some obscure web page.

It looks like shit and it is shit, and everyone involved with the commissioning, creation and approval of that offense to the eye should be jailed for no less than two days.

The Crown would be better served by having a copy of 'Dogs Playing Poker' hung in its stead.

A velvet Elvis, or a bullfighter, perhaps.

All of these are better choices.

MAGNIFICO!!

Here's the real Kang, baby!!

Posts: 108059 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Charles is a huge disappointment and a disgrace to the legacy of his parents.

And having met both his parents on several occasions that’s the nicest thing I can say about him.

Posts: 53349 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23406 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
It goes against 100% of all previous royal portraits.

Not quite 100%...

For example, there is this official portrait of QE2 from three decades ago.

The Daily Mail newspaper's headline the day after it was unveiled was "Silly artist cuts off Queen's head".

Posts: 32636 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wonder if these portraits are commissioned with hip artists of the day to remain in touch with the art scene, and perhaps the subject doesn't see them until the unveiling, and then is compelled to act surprised and excited.

He should have turned to the artist and said What the Fuck! burn it and off with his head, that's what a King should do....

I bet Henry VIII would have done that, pretty much in front of the palace for all to see...

Posts: 23718 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

He should have turned to the artist and said What the Fuck! burn it and off with his head, that's what a King should do....

I bet Henry VIII would have done that, pretty much in front of the palace for all to see...

Well, don't you hate when you have someone killed, and no one takes notice?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10735 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Wonder if these portraits are commissioned with hip artists of the day to remain in touch with the art scene, and perhaps the subject doesn't see them until the unveiling, and then is compelled to act surprised and excited.

Shoudl've just commissioned Damien Hirst or Jeff Koons.

Posts: 14772 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We joked that they must have hired an IRA member to paint the portrait. Big Grin

Though, the vast majority of the world has reasons to dislike the Inbred Class in general, and the English branch in particular.

Posts: 5781 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the portrait, I thought of this:

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16812 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The accompanying cra..., sorry, explanatory text, clearly shows the difference between us ordinary people, and those who have only two colours in their 'painting-by-numbers' set..

'The first official portrait of HM King Charles III as monarch has been unveiled by Their Majesties The King and Queen in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

Commissioned by The Drapers’ Company, it depicts him larger than life and wearing the uniform of the Welsh Guards, of which he was made Colonel in 1975. Jonathan had 4 sittings with the subject between June 2021 and November 2023 at Highgrove and later at Clarence House, working on it in between in his London studio.

The portrait will be on public view from 16th May until 14th June at Philip Mould Gallery, 18-19 Pall Mall, London SW1 (opening hours 9.30am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday) before moving to Drapers’ Hall in The City.

In the portrait, The King's military regalia subtly fades into the background, exemplifying Jonathan's signature painting style where he places greater emphasis on capturing the character and essence of his subjects rather than replicating their literal appearance.

“As a portrait artist, you get this unique opportunity to spend time with and get to know a subject, so I wanted to minimise the visual distractions and allow people to connect with the human being underneath" Jonathan Yeo

The vivid colour of the glazes in the background echo the uniform’s bright red tunic, not only resonating with the royal heritage found in many historical portraits but also injecting a dynamic, contemporary jolt into the genre with its uniformly powerful hue / providing a modern contrast to more traditional depictions. The butterfly approaching King Charles's shoulder in the portrait adds a layer of narrative depth, symbolising both his known advocacy for environmental causes and his personal transformation. The Monarch butterfly is believed to have been named after an English King (William of Orange) due to its distinctive colour and this migratory species is already one of the most affected by climate change because of alterations in spring temperatures.

Jonathan Yeo explains: "Primarily a symbol of the beauty and precariousness of nature, it highlights the environmental causes the King has championed most of his life and certainly long before they became a mainstream conversation, but it also serves a compositional purpose, providing a visual contrast to the military steeliness of the uniform and sword. In the context of art history, a butterfly often the symbol of metamorphosis and rebirth, and thus also parallels the King’s transition from Prince to monarch during the period the portrait was created"

Posts: 11366 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post