SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Despise Wind Farms, And I’m Far From Alone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Despise Wind Farms, And I’m Far From Alone Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seeing some idle as others were going, made me wonder why they don't engineer these to be able to turn into the wing for optimal power generation?

I’m pretty sure they are able to.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
They are trying to build a wind farm off the coast here in VA. I can't help but think what a cat 4 hurricane, Fiona, like the one between here and Bermuda would do to them.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
They are trying to build a wind farm off the coast here in VA. I can't help but think what a cat 4 hurricane, Fiona, like the one between here and Bermuda would do to them.

Well... They would make lots of electricity right up till the end. Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t think they’re such an eyesore, but I see how others may not like them. I feel a large PV installation to be way uglier. However, I hate that wind is being touted as 100% green, for all the reasons already illustrated in this thread. Bird kills, blade waste, etc seems to be a real problem, and would be crippling if wind is rolled out in the quantity required by the greenies.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Like sigcrazy, I don't think they look that offensive....at least where I've seen them, but that they tout they're so green is bullshit. Like he said as has been said in this thread, it's proven they aren't green at all. I don't know how true this is, but I once read it takes more energy to build a wind generator than it is ever capable of generating in it's lifespan. How f'd up is that?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38580 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Wind has been used for 100's of years on farms to pump well water and was very useful for that application. In the end, energy in, can't result in more energy out. Physics you know. Just like wind sails can't propel a fully loaded container ship no matter how many sails are employed. Well maybe if the wind was right, and the ship was going in the ideal heading and you don't mind 6+ months for a trip that powered ships would do in 2 weeks. The left just doesn't get this. To them it's free power and why wouldn't we want that? They don't want to hear the down and dirty details. It hurts their heads to think about it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The native Americans said the exact same stuff about Conestoga wagons.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54485 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The native Americans said the exact same stuff about Conestoga wagons.

That makes no sense whatsoever

Posts: 13156 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The word did not get this way by sitting around in our hands.

The Europeans did not decide to relocate here because native Americans had all the answers .

We moved here to change every aspect.

Americans have proven time and time again how great we are at learning..

Its judgment that we can not grasp.
We have all the answers , but using the knowledge is where we fall very short.

Posts: 54485 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Driving through West Texas a few years ago we drove by several fields with both windmills and pump jacks in them. Were the windmills providing the electricity for the pump jacks? I'd just love the irony.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3429 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This woman is the Secretary of Interior…somehow

I found this interesting.
quote:
She earned her Juris Doctor in Indian law from the University of New Mexico School of Law in 2006, but is not a member of the New Mexico State Bar.
- Wiki

Posts: 13156 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, clean energy.

Don't tell the greenies that there is a big ol' diesel engine in the hub of every one of them.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
From an engineering perspective I’m a huge fan of the SMR technology.

I hope they’re successful.

Posts: 53073 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I saw somewhere that Iowa is the largest producer of electricity by percentage of a state, something around 50% of our energy. It is still behind Texas in total production. Madison County shut them down hard, they enacted REALLY extensive zoning to stop further production beyond what is already there after public outcry. Alot of Iowa isn't too exciting to look at, especially where these wind farms are, but many people like viewing miles and miles of flat to gently rolling fields of nothingness except for some rare hedgerows or the farm every so often. At night you can see their synchronized flashing red lights for miles though. They don't really bug me, but its a "NIMBY" for me though and I can understand the concern to those living near them. I hear getting rid of the blades when they age out or break down is an ordeal as well.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I think they look like shit. Large monuments to stupidity and corruption. Only thing worse are solar farms and the huge chunks of real estate they lay to waste. A couple counties in southern Minnesota voted to put a green energy solar farm on a year long moratorium. But it will go through after that. It will replace 5000 acres of farm land.

Between burning our food in cars (ethanol) and reassigning farm land to solar and wind farms that grows our food this green energy shit is going to starve us to death.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
they may not be around too much longer...they created a bunch of gazillionaires, mi$$ion accomplished, no reason for continued junk science malingering...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sse,

Posts: 2711 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta wonder what the 450 farmers in Iowa and Illinois are thinking about their decision to allow them in their fields .

All those massive concrete bases smack dab in some very productive farm land.

Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Cha-Ching ! Is what they are thinking when they read their bank statements!

Posts: 782 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Think of the fines and punishments you or I would face if we so much as picked up a single eagle feather.

I have a piece of property in town, not the slightest bit rural, that’s within so many hundreds of feet of a Bald Eagle’s nest. I actually have to pay a professional to make sure the nest isn’t active before I’m allowed to trim my own trees.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post