SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finding Studs Behind Knotty Pine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding Studs Behind Knotty Pine Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
I'd like to hang a 42" plasma TV on a knotty pine paneled wall. The plasma is pretty heavy for a 42", so I need to find the studs, but am having a difficult time. My electronic studfinder doesn't work and there are no electrical boxes on the wall. Crawl space reveals nothing, and there's no room above this one and no access to the space above the ceiling. The paneling is tongue-in-roove and is vertical. Using a magnet I can find rows of nails every 6-8" in the panel joint that are horizontal, but the horizontal rows are 20" apart. Is that some sort of furring strip to mount the panneling to or it is possible the studs are horizontal?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I highly doubt that they are horizontal studs. Most likely they put in blocking between the studs since the paneling is vertical.

The studs will be 16in on center. Try measuring 16.5" from the corner and that should be the center of the first stud. The center of every other stud should be 16" from there.

Good luck!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A 1/16" drill bit would work. Stagger the holes so they are not in an obvious line. Drilling through a bit of blue painters tape will help you find the holes later. A smear of wet potting soil will fill the holes, creating that coveted antique look.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I recently had the same problem on the wall the garage shares with the house. If memory serves: I have that problem with that wall on both sides.

I've two stud finders. Neither of them is even remotely dependable. I wonder if there's one that actually works--at least most of the time?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
You may have my problem. I can't use stud finders because they all go off if I get within 10' of them.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I used a strong magnet to find drywall screws in the wall.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that the knotty pine wall is plenty strong and will hold the TV without finding the studs. You may be guilty of over-engineering.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I am guessing that the knotty pine wall is plenty strong and will hold the TV without finding the studs. You may be guilty of over-engineering.

He called it paneling though. If individual planks, I would throw some screws through it into the furring strips behind where the TV would be mounted and mount the TV directly to the wall. I wouldn't use an arm type mount that lets you pull the TV away from the wall thos way. For one of those I'd find the studs. I have two 42" plasmas and they are heavy.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two ideas

1) If it is paneling, find a spot and gently pull the paneling off. Take a look and then nail it back in. I used to do that at my grandpa's house, a storage area was behind it.

2) Ditch the plasma and get a newer much much lighter TV

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's probably on 1" furring strips and that is why it appears to be horizontal.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If you can remove the baseboard you may be able to find the studs

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

The studs will be 16in on center. Try measuring 16.5" from the corner and that should be the center of the first stud. The center of every other stud should be 16" from there.

Good luck!

I wouldn't trust that at all. What if the wall is not a length that would have exact spacing for studs? I have seen walls where a stud might only be a few inches in on one end.
And when was it built? If old enough the studs maybe as much as 24" apart.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots methods to find the studs, as mentioned. Something else to consider is what's behind the pine wall? It may very well be on thin furring strips with a block wall behind it. The TV's that I've hung use about a 3" bolt, you may be punching through the concrete block if that is what's behind the pine.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
More importantly, what are you plugging in to.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9689 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
My wife and I use three methods.

1. The stud finder.

2. Start at the corner and mark off every 16" and then confirm with the stud finder.

3. Use the smallest diameter nail you can find and poke it through the wall until you find the stud. This works well with drywall, might not be so good with panel.

Good luck.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have something similar to this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zi...nder-68240/300072345

I've used it a bunch of times and it has worked well.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you are going to hang the TV, are you going to have the power and cable connections behind the TV?
as in the TV will cover them?

if so,

mark the spot for the TV on the wall, and pick the spot for the cable/power to come thru (likely best to have them separate to shield on from the other, if that matters anymore)

then once you have the hole(s) for the box(es) us a feeler to find the studs on either side

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

This^^^^
Assuming this is what you have is the circa 1950 - 60's, 3/4 inch thick tongue and groves planks. The horizontal bits should be blocking between the studs.

Is this what you have?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Good luck!

I wouldn't trust that at all. What if the wall is not a length that would have exact spacing for studs? I have seen walls where a stud might only be a few inches in on one end.
And when was it built? If old enough the studs maybe as much as 24" apart.

I had a house where the distance between the studs was variable. I am not kidding.

I can usually find studs by tapping. Is the paneling too thick for that?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I agree with pulling the baseboard if you have one, as well as maybe drilling or nailing tiny test holes way down by the floor where no one will notice after the fact.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post