SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finding Studs Behind Knotty Pine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding Studs Behind Knotty Pine Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
42 inch Toshiba 4K LCD Smart TV, weight 19 lbs.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I came across the same problem at a buddies house. The only thing that worked was a thermal imager. Keep the house cold overnight and leave all the electrical items turned on for 15 min.

The studs will be blue, the wall will be green, and the electrical wiring will be red.

I felt like I was cheating somehow.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I came across the same problem at a buddies house. The only thing that worked was a thermal imager. Keep the house cold overnight and leave all the electrical items turned on for 15 min.

The studs will be blue, the wall will be green, and the electrical wiring will be red.

I felt like I was cheating somehow.

There ya go.

Work smarter.

I need to get one of those.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I have something similar to this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zi...nder-68240/300072345

I've used it a bunch of times and it has worked well.

The two stud finders I have are Zircons. I've found them unreliable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I have something similar to this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zi...nder-68240/300072345

I've used it a bunch of times and it has worked well.

Three two stud finders I have are Zircons. I've found them unreliable.

I rather knock on the wall, way more accurate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I used a strong magnet to find drywall screws in the wall.

That's what I'm using after the 2 electronic stud finders let me down.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I wouldn't use an arm type mount that lets you pull the TV away from the wall thos way. For one of those I'd find the studs. I have two 42" plasmas and they are heavy.

I am trying to mount the extendable adjustable arm type mount. TV and mount weigh 86 lbs.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
2) Ditch the plasma and get a newer much much lighter TV

Not happening. I love my Plasma.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
If you can remove the baseboard you may be able to find the studs

Very involved. It's possible, but a last resort, and it may not reveal anything.

quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I wouldn't trust that at all. What if the wall is not a length that would have exact spacing for studs? I have seen walls where a stud might only be a few inches in on one end.
And when was it built? If old enough the studs maybe as much as 24" apart.

The house was built in '53. This room feels like a slightly later addition. Tried measuring with no success as well as drilling a few exploratory holes.

quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Something else to consider is what's behind the pine wall? It may very well be on thin furring strips with a block wall behind it. The TV's that I've hung use about a 3" bolt, you may be punching through the concrete block if that is what's behind the pine.

Brick outside, other than that I'm not sure what's in the middle. I hung a TV in a different part of the house, through lath and plaster, and that was not easy finding studs either. What I found seemed like studs (vertical spacing made sense) except the 3" lag screws were 1/2" too long, and bottomed out against masonry, block or brick, I'm not sure. 2.5" studs? Whatever it is is very stable.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I am guessing that the knotty pine wall is plenty strong and will hold the TV without finding the studs. You may be guilty of over-engineering.

This^^^^
Assuming this is what you have is the circa 1950 - 60's, 3/4 inch thick tongue and groves planks. The horizontal bits should be blocking between the studs.

Is this what you have?

Exactly what I have, can't verify it's 3/4" though. Given that I'm hanging a Plasma on a fully articulating arm, without experience, I'm not comfortable just relying on the paneling. The TV weighs 64 lbs. The mount weighs 22 lbs, so 86 lbs total.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Three two stud finders I have are Zircons. I've found them unreliable.

I have two electronic stud finders, one is a more expensive Zircon, an upgrade specifically purchased for this project that just doesn't work on the paneling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I highly doubt that they are horizontal studs. Most likely they put in blocking between the studs since the paneling is vertical.

The studs will be 16in on center. Try measuring 16.5" from the corner and that should be the center of the first stud. The center of every other stud should be 16" from there.

Good luck!

actually that would be 15.5 from the finished drywall studs are done on rough framing not finished.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
The house was built in '53. This room feels like a slightly later addition. Tried measuring with no success as well as drilling a few exploratory holes.
Brick outside, other than that I'm not sure what's in the middle. I hung a TV in a different part of the house, through lath and plaster, and that was not easy finding studs either. What I found seemed like studs (vertical spacing made sense) except the 3" lag screws were 1/2" too long, and bottomed out against masonry, block or brick, I'm not sure. 2.5" studs? Whatever it is is very stable.

Given this information, you are very, very likely to have only furring strips under the planking, and that would really make sense with the nails that appear to be horizontal. With horizontal furring strips you can hide the nails under the tongue and grooves.

Here's a strange question. Go look outside at your bricks. If you have every seventh brick turned sideways and the wood is original, then it's very likely only furring strips secured with cut nails. Especially accurate with 50's construction.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Here's a strange question. Go look outside at your bricks. If you have every seventh brick turned sideways and the wood is original, then it's very likely only furring strips secured with cut nails. Especially accurate with 50's construction.

If you mean every 7th brick in a single course is sideways, no.

If you mean every 7th course is all sideways bricks, then yes

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:

If you mean every 7th brick in a single course is sideways, no.

If you mean every 7th course is all sideways bricks, then yes

Like this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Just get some hollow wall anchors,or toggle bolts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gr...Pack-51000/301970027

Supports up to 500 lbs

Or:

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER...id=1546664301&sr=1-9

And:

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER...1-23#customerReviews

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like this.

Yes, except this is every 6th course sideways, mine is every 7th course sideways.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, except this is every 6th course sideways, mine is every 7th course sideways.

First random pic I stole from interwebz, didn't count them. It means the brick is structural. And you have two courses of CMU tied into every seventh course of bricks. Insulation was not common when this building method was used, instead it relied on the air gaps in the CMU for insulation. Therefore they could make larger rooms with out using 2x4s and cut lumber costs.

Try your drilling test method horizontally and see if they actually run horizontal. Also use a bit that is at least 2.5" long. This will cover planking plus furring strip. You will feel a difference when it hits block vs furring strip.

If you do find that it is horizontal furring strips, there is an easy solution. Measure depth of planking + furring strips, then buy correct sized lag bolts for top set of holes on TV mount. Use four shorter lag bolts on top furring strip and use 2-4 #10 or #12 wood screws only in planking for bottom set of holes on the mount. Those screws are not nearly as important as the top holes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

First random pic I stole from interwebz, didn't count them. It means the brick is structural. And you have two courses of CMU tied into every seventh course of bricks. Insulation was not common when this building method was used, instead it relied on the air gaps in the CMU for insulation. Therefore they could make larger rooms with out using 2x4s and cut lumber costs.

Help me understand what you mean by CMU? Inside walls in the basement are block with the sideways header course every 2 courses of block. Is that what it looks like behind my paneling?

quote:
Try your drilling test method horizontally and see if they actually run horizontal. Also use a bit that is at least 2.5" long. This will cover planking plus furring strip. You will feel a difference when it hits block vs furring strip.

Which drilling test method? I think I'm familiar with the feel. When I mounted the TV upstairs, I seemed to go through about an inch of plaster lath, then about 1.5 inches of wood them masonry. Drill bit died a hero.

quote:
If you do find that it is horizontal furring strips, there is an easy solution. Measure depth of planking + furring strips, then buy correct sized lag bolts for top set of holes on TV mount. Use four shorter lag bolts on top furring strip and use 2-4 #10 or #12 wood screws only in planking for bottom set of holes on the mount. Those screws are not nearly as important as the top holes.

Problem is the mount is designed for mounting to horizontal studs. Adjusting mounting height meant moving the bracket up or down along the studs. IN this case, if I'm limited to the furring strip, I have no vertical adjustment. I can move it horizontally along the strip, but I'm stuck with the height of the furring strip unless I attach something like vertical 2x4"s between two courses of furring strips, 20" apart, then attach the TV mount to the 2x4's. Not sure the cosmetics on this approach are ideal.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
CMU = Concrete Masonry Unit, or cinder block.

It is likely on the other side of paneling is just blocks with furring strips to mount the paneling. Very common in 50's.

You should be able to verify the wall depth and direction of furring strips or wood once you find a piece with drilling method. I'd use the magnet type stud finders to find where to drill test holes.

If the height of the two closest furring strips moves it too far away from your desired location then I think the 2x4 on the horizontal strips (if that is what it proves to be) is your only solution. You could stain and finish the 2x4 to match the paneling though and make it look professional.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just be glad you aren't like me. My walls are made of steel and it took three burnt up drill bits just to run speaker, cable, and HDMI wiring. I had to drill holes in a thick steel stud to mount my TV and one half of the TV is only supported by heavy duty drywall anchors - think super large toggle bolt.

Stupid house was an experiment to see if houses could be built with steel instead of lumber. Creates all kinds of weird quarks with doing anything in my house. Kind of cool part is the entire top floor has zero structural walls and the hardwoods are installed under the walls. I could remove every wall if I wanted to.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty awesome. ^

I love large open spaces.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Just go buy a TV Stand/Entertainment Center.....
Problem Solved! Big Grin

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested this is the best studfinder in the world.
Studfinder

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience, but they have a great new wall checker for Android phones. Patiently waiting for an IOS version.

Actively advertised, but I have no clue if they really work. Good luck!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post