SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BUN (blood urea nitrogen) test result high, been doing strength training. Happen to anyone else?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BUN (blood urea nitrogen) test result high, been doing strength training. Happen to anyone else? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I got a routine blood test at my oncologist on Tuesday. I get them every 3-4 months. Everything looked good as usual other than my BUN which was 36 with normal range specified as 7-23 and first time it has been outside of range. I read results online and have not gotten a call from my doctor/nurse yet and may not if he doesn't think it is a concern.

Anyhow at age 71 I started strength training 4 months ago and have been doing so three times a week for about 90 minutes each day. After reading various links it shows that strenuous exercising can cause the BUN to increase, along with high protein diet, and dehydration as possible causes that may apply to me.

My creatine number was at the high end of the range up a little from last time and GFR was fine for my age.

https://www.personalabs.com/bl...ying%20on%20dialysis.

Anyhow I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same with high BUN and strength training and if so have you talked to your doctor about it and what they had to say or other helpful information. I did get the blood test shortly after doing cardio level 2 for about an hour which I am thinking might not have been a good idea now. I don't believe I was dehydrated but I will be drinking more water for now on too. As far as high protein diet I have been taking a protein shake about once a day and my protein intake is about 130-150 grams a day which I don't believe is excessive at my age of 71 and weight of 200.

At this point I am not that worried about it and have read where if it gets above 50 is where BUN is a big concern. However I need to get an MRI in December and probably would not be able to take it with my BUN that high because of the contrast they inject. At that time I would probably have to stop exercising for a week to get the BUN number down.

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
BUN to creatinine ratio is helpful. You didn't mention the creatinine.
Dehydration from exercise prior to that blood test is the most likely cause IMO.
Ask your doctor if you should repeat on a day when you are well hydrated.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 3 years your junior and have been ignoring the "numbers" for a couple years now. I sleep like a baby and don't hurt anywhere. That's good enough for me. If my Doc questions any, a retest is usually back in the normal range.

As far as an answer, as suggested, dehydration is a common cause for wacky numbers in otherwise stable seniors (according to my cardiologist anyway)

Posts: 646 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
BUN to creatinine ratio is helpful. You didn't mention the creatinine.
Dehydration from exercise prior to that blood test is the most likely cause IMO.
Ask your doctor if you should repeat on a day when you are well hydrated.

Thanks Doc! The B/C ratio was 25.9 outside of 12-20 range.
Yeah I will see if I can get the test again next month as you suggest.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
I am 3 years your junior and have been ignoring the "numbers" for a couple years now. I sleep like a baby and don't hurt anywhere. That's good enough for me. If my Doc questions any, a retest is usually back in the normal range.

As far as an answer, as suggested, dehydration is a common cause for wacky numbers in otherwise stable seniors (according to my cardiologist anyway)

Hey, good for you!
Yeah dehydration can sneek up on me pretty quickly these days if I am not careful.

posted Hide Post
Another thought is undetected GI blood loss. Is your Hct/Hb below normal?? MCV elevated?? All of these would point to GI blood loss.

If not ... repeat eval with aggressive pre-testing hydration would be a suggestion.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Another thought is undetected GI blood loss. Is your Hct/Hb below normal?? MCV elevated?? All of these would point to GI blood loss.

If not ... repeat eval with aggressive pre-testing hydration would be a suggestion.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

Those numbers were all in range. HCT 43.9, Hgb 14.7, and MCV 92.6.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A high protein diet increases your necessary water intake, otherwise your kidneys start to protest.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
A high protein diet increases your necessary water intake, otherwise your kidneys start to protest.

Good to know! Thanks.