SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm trying to get my newly built computer running smoother
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm trying to get my newly built computer running smoother Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to see what my CPU is doing, but I was unaware it works with AMD CPUs.

Oh yeah. I'm a dummy. Forgot Mark is running AMD.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
... Are you getting stuttering on playback of a *finished* file? That is a problem.
Sometimes. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's choppy and then other times it just freezes on finished file playback.

quote:
Are you getting stuttering on playback of an *unfinished* file? This, for a non-linear video editor (I've never used Camtasia, but I use Adobe Premiere) is normal. When you assemble video in an editor, the video isn't made until you let the software render the whole video and export it as one cohesive clip. Until then, when you hit "play" on the editing screen, your computer has to rummage around all your clips and assemble the video on the fly. Stuttering here is normal. Faster computers speeds up this "preview" playback, but nobody expects it to be smooth.

From what I see on you screen right now, I see that your CPU is pegging 100% while you have a the video preview and storyboard up. This looks like you are right in the middle of editing, and trying to watch the video as you make it. Stuttering and slow downs here are perfectly normal.
Sometimes it plays in a choppy manner, sometimes it just hangs like above. It never plays nicely while editing.

Yeeeah. I think it's about managing expectations now.

Camtasia is an editor. It's not really meant for playback. When you open a clip in Camtasia to look at, Camtasia should be doing a bunch of things in the background with that clip to prepare it for use in a new project. This sucks up a ton of CPU power and RAM, but is rather normal.

If you are just trying to watch a video that you've made, you should be using a media player like VLC. If you are just navigating preview files in your media bin, expect lag as every time you open a file from your media bin, Camtasia is likely making a copy of it in a cache file and getting ready for the clip to be edited.

For me, on Adobe Premiere, the first time I scrub through a clip in my media browser, I don't often get smooth playback. After I've trimmed up some clips together on the timeline, the preview playback is smooth unless I've modified the clip in any way--for instance, if I applied any color effects, the computer will slow down as it gets to that part in the preview video. When it gets there, the computer pegs the CPU as it tries to colorize every individual frame for me in real time, and ends up stuttering or slowing down. In the end, after I've completely rendered the video, playback in VLC is smooth.

Ok, I see what you mean. I'm not going to get smooth playback with the editor especially with transitions and cuts and callouts. However, the randomness is making me think there's something else going on. I would like it to move without rebooting though (which only works sometimes).

I'm thinking maybe because I'm using the audio interface to listen with headphones instead of the computers audio out may be messing with it. Maybe I've got my latency settings unnecessarily low or maybe the computer is unmounting the drives for some reason.

Edit - I've just read about Exclusive Mode in Windows audio settings. That sounds like it may be the issue. I'll try it in the morning.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I think disabling Exclusive Mode in Sound Settings actually worked.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Adding extra memory, from 16GB to 32GB, seems to have smoothed things out as well. This thing is smoking fast. I'm glad that I went Team Red. Smile

posted Hide Post
Do you have XMP enabled for your memory in your BIOS settings? I believe that from factory XMP is not enabled in the BIOS and you are leaving a lot of memory performance on the table if you don't enable it

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Pepper:
Do you have XMP enabled for your memory in your BIOS settings? I believe that from factory XMP is not enabled in the BIOS and you are leaving a lot of memory performance on the table if you don't enable it
It's set to auto.