SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finished my 1911 grips!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my 1911 grips! Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
I call her Temptress!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very nice. What kind of wood?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Nice! I’m assuming you made them yourself?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Pretty sweet, SC.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
That's a purdy gun!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10712 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Very nice. What kind of wood?

They're just black hard plastic.
I cut them for the medallion. These are a practice pair for when I do this in black buffalo horn.
Filled the cavity with clear acrylic then cut the filling and polished them.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Here's the medallion.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
How did you cut the hole? Forstner bit?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
She would tempt me!

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
How did you cut the hole? Forstner bit?

Paddle but for a door...

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I don't imagine black buffalo horn will be as forgiving of a paddle bit as plastic.

I think I'd be tempted to build a jig out of some scrap wood and use a router. The resulting inlay opening should benefit from the more refined grind of the router bit as well as the higher speed of the router.

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I'll use a different set up next time for sure.
But I know I can do this now.

I have folks lined up wanting The Temptress grips now!

posted Hide Post
Nicely done.

Posts: 148 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Iam imagining this guy on a side of a rifle stock, somehow.

Don't know if its possible.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Iam imagining this guy on a side of a rifle stock, somehow.

Don't know if its possible.

I have owl coins from Greece!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
I don't imagine black buffalo horn will be as forgiving of a paddle bit as plastic.

I think I'd be tempted to build a jig out of some scrap wood and use a router. The resulting inlay opening should benefit from the more refined grind of the router bit as well as the higher speed of the router.

I'm going to put them on the industrial laser at work next time for both of ours.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34137 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Those would look good on any 1911!

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to put them on the industrial laser at work next time for both of ours.

Excellent! That should give you some serious control.

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post