SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's the MidwayUSA "We want to run you off" campaign!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's the MidwayUSA "We want to run you off" campaign!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I do not see anything similar on this site:

https://www.facebook.com/BrownellsInc/

But that reminds me, wasn't Pete Brownell president for just one year? That may be totally unrelated to Wayne's saga, but I just remembered.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how a company like that thrives let alone stay in business. I had one bad experience (the usual order something that’s in stock and receive an out of stock notification) and wrote them off because of all of the others with the same or worse experiences. This little photo op is nothing but grandstanding, not realizing how incredibly obtuse they are.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
What did it say para or anyone else who saw it? It's not showing up for me and if I click the link it isn't working. Just curious. Not much I order from Midway since can usually find it cheaper online from other places. Only big retailer I order from is Brownells usually and that's for cleaning brushes and occasionally random tools.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy a lot from Midway and I think they are one of the best. You can cancel or modify orders after placing them if you forgot something. They are very good about returns if you don't like something, and their return process prints a shipping label at a reasonable cost that is deducted from the refund. If the product is defective you don't have to pay return shipping. Selection is pretty good and the search engine works well. Prices are a bit higher than in the past, but not out of line with most retailers. Yes you can get better deals on some sites.

Midway is a big sponsor of the annual NRA show so I get the relationship. At Indy this year every pass older lanyard had "Midway USA" on it, and lots of other promotions and signage.

I've always avoided the "round-up" thing, I'm a member of the NRA but that's all they get from me until they start doing better and with WLP gone I hope they will.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
What did it say para or anyone else who saw it? It's not showing up for me and if I click the link it isn't working. Just curious. Not much I order from Midway since can usually find it cheaper online from other places. Only big retailer I order from is Brownells usually and that's for cleaning brushes and occasionally random tools.

The post was deleted.

It said
quote:
Brenda and I congratulate Wayne LaPierre on his announced retirement as CEO and Executive Director of The National Rifle Association. Over the past 50 years, no one has accomplished more for the 2nd Amendment as has Wayne.

Larry & Brenda Potterfield
Founders and Owners
MidwayUSA
I saved a screenshot.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I buy a lot from Midway and I think they are one of the best. You can cancel or modify orders after placing them if you forgot something. They are very good about returns if you don't like something, and their return process prints a shipping label at a reasonable cost that is deducted from the refund. If the product is defective you don't have to pay return shipping. Selection is pretty good and the search engine works well. Prices are a bit higher than in the past, but not out of line with most retailers. Yes you can get better deals on some sites.

That has been my experience too. I quit using Brownells because they were always “out of stock” on items I needed while Midway had the same items in stock. What a clueless move by Potterfield.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I was a member of the same gun club as Mr. Potterfield in the late 1980's before he made it big. I won't spend a dime at Midway.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The post has been deleted from Facebook as well.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they got the hint...

Posts: 4589 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The post is gone. Did anyone save a screen shot?

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's quite telling. They deleted it, I'm sure, because of the weight of all the negative comments. This means they didn't anticipate the reaction, because if they posted it, knowing the backlash it would create, they would have left it up.

The fact that they didn't anticipate the reaction speaks volumes. It seems ol' Larry and his munchkins couldn't find a clue in a clue field with a handful of clues during clue-mating season. Sad, yet oddly amusing. Smile

Hey, Lar! Say 'hi' to Wayne for us, will ya? Razz

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, Midway was the go-to place at least for me. They had reasonable prices, a nice catalog to read on the throne, free shipping and with the wonderful world of the Internet, I bought a lot of shooting and reloading stuff.

Then Midway announced they were ending the free shipping, but lower their prices in order to even things out. Ha! Prices still remained where they were or, I thought, even higher, at least on things I needed, and a number (a large number, I thought) of his customers left.

It's only in the last couple of years that I started occasionally ordering from them again.

So, once again, it's Bye, Larry, Bye, Midway, Buy elsewhere!

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...couldn't find a clue in a clue field with a handful of clues during clue-mating season.

STOLEN!!! LMAO!!!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
The post is gone. Did anyone save a screen shot?
Of course I did. Smile

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
The Midway statement was an "own goal," a shot in their own foot. LP appears to affected by the same thing that got the NRA under WLP: too big, out of touch with the community, possessing a strong sense of entitlement and hubris. So maybe LP will wake up and learn what the grass roots think about the NRA - and Midway.

The silver lining is that a lot of pro-gun organizations sprung up or got stronger as the NRA drifted into corruption.

In Virginia, we have organizations like the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL), which is focused on the 2A and is able to impact state-wide and local politics. The NRA was ubiquitous, and had immense good will from its history, even getting on to Midway's web page under the "round up" feature -- but customers should wait and see if it can reform and recover before sending them money. We have to work harder to find organizations that are honest and can use our donations effectively, but it is worth looking.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
A somewhat disappointing event but I have had great service and experiences with Midway and I don’t see me changing because of it.

I’ve also been disappointed in Wayne and the NRA but hope that things will be changing for the better now. They are still a large and powerful organization that politicians heed.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use Midway USA on a regular basis but its been a few years since ordering anything . I won't be in a hurry to use them again. If you support WLP you aren't a friend of the NRA. That jack wagon ruined the organization for me.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Haven’t ordered anything from them in years but never will now.

What I find fascinating is from people like my friend’s wife, who got shitcanned from her very good job for a twat on Twatter, to this clown. Just stay off social media, at the least the commentating. Leave it to someone else. Just sell your wares. Nope.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
*STARES IN LARRY POTTERFIELD*

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
<<sni>> It seems ol' Larry and his munchkins couldn't find a clue in a clue field with a handful of clues during clue-mating season. <<snip>>

Thanks, Para! I almost choked on my coffee when I read that just now!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4589 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post