SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I.T. Geeks: WD vs. Synology vs. QNAP NAS?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I.T. Geeks: WD vs. Synology vs. QNAP NAS? Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I believe Snidera is referring to the device that is actually SERVING plex. For example - my Synology NAS doesn't have the power to act as a Plex server. Some of the newer ones definitely do.

I have used my Nvidia Shield as a Plex server for quite a while. It has a dinky processor (no idea what it is) but it had no issue pulling huge 4K UHD MKV files from the Synology Nas (with WD Red 5400 rpm drives), or the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 which reads/writes half as fast as the Synology. Keep in mind, I only use Plex to stream files to one device, my home theater. I don't have any other "clients" pulling files at the same time or transcoding.

If you are going to stream with many clients - I would not consider the Synology for serving Plex (but it would be fine for housing the data). If you are going to stream to one TV or home theater - then as long as Synology says it will work you should be fine.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I believe Snidera is referring to the device that is actually SERVING plex.

I'm not using Plex. I'm using Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun DVR Service.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 bay QNAP with four 6Gb WD Red drives. Used to run Plex on it but it wasn't powerful enough to do transcoding.

Currently I can't get the damn thing to stay online. Haven't had any luck troubleshooting it yet.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I believe Snidera is referring to the device that is actually SERVING plex.

I'm not using Plex. I'm using Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun DVR Service.

I replied to your bitch thread about a similar topic. I thought you were going to try the Plex DVR/firestick route.
SSD suggestion was for cache/media metadata so plex can send them to you quick - spinners are fine for data. You don't want to wait for an idle spinner to get going while browsing for a movie, like waiting on a DVD menu to load - so 1999.
If all your going to do is dump DVR recordings, a NAS is fine. I wouldn't drop the money on a proprietary NAS solution. Using a Linux flavor might be more of a pain up front, but if you drop a disk, you're still looking at more pain & longer time for slow-ass hardware to rebuild. Any intel from the core era will eat a QNAP/Synology/WD's lunch in the rebuild time, as well as give you more options for future.

UnRaid is a linux/software RAID OS (slackware base), but it's also a docker & VM host. I'm typing on a windows VM running on top of UnRaid. I have a plex docker rather than running it in windows (windows can take a dump & it doesn't affect wife watching a movie, VERY important for a happy home).

I have a HDhomerun as well, but I use Plex as my DVR/liveTV client (via FireTV/firestick). It works well.

my goal was to cut satellite, I already had plex for ripped movies & downloaded TV shows (arrrr...) I use SlingTV, prime & plex - we really don't miss the 100s of channels we didn't watch.
Wife needs univision, I like FSMW for cardinals, other than that we watch Food, HGTV & maybe flip through the others. I added the HDhomerun because we already had the antenna, but I didn't have coax near one TV. I can sometimes pull the univison station from Indy, if it was more solid I'd kick slingTV as well.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I replied to your bitch thread about a similar topic.

Ah, ok.

Same project. Different topic. That was me bitching about unnecessary incompatibilities.

quote:
I thought you were going to try the Plex DVR/firestick route.

Only if my plan fell apart. Which it hasn't.

quote:
SSD suggestion was for cache/media metadata ...

Got it.

quote:
If all your going to do is dump DVR recordings, a NAS is fine. I wouldn't drop the money on a proprietary NAS solution. Using a Linux flavor might be more of a pain up front, ...

The "pain" is inconsequential. I've built more *nix flavour servers over the years than I'd care to count Wink. It's more that my priorities are different than yours.

quote:
UnRaid is a linux/software RAID OS (slackware base), ...

*nod* Now that you jogged my memory, it kinda sorta sounds familiar. Never had a need for it, so never paid it much heed.

quote:
I have a HDhomerun as well, but I use Plex as my DVR/liveTV client (via FireTV/firestick). It works well.

I'm certain it does, but I'm going for maximum simplicity, lowest energy footprint and greatest reasonable economy, fully aware those goals are often incompatible with maximum performance.

Thanks for your comments.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post