SIGforum
Headlight Restoration

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6390077624

July 04, 2017, 01:47 PM
GA Gator
Headlight Restoration
In the 7-8 years I've been on the board I don't think I have posted about a product that really worked for me.

We have a 2006 Honda Odessey, the headlights were very badly oxidized. I tried a mother's product, and another one that didn't work. I had all but given up and thought that the lens were shot. My FIL gave me 'wipe new and this product worked awesome.

The after result. I would have had a before but I didn't expect it to work. The lens aren't perfect and the Mothers product scratched the lenses but they turned out better than I thought they would.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo
July 04, 2017, 01:59 PM
wreckdiver
Good to know, thanks!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton
July 04, 2017, 02:07 PM
Fla. Jim
Is this a one time fix? Or how often would you need to reapply this restorer?
July 04, 2017, 02:18 PM
a1abdj
On a related note, I just had the front of my new work truck covered with a clear paint protecting film. They also did the headlights, and added that in addition to rock chips, the film blocks UV and prevents the lenses from discoloring.

www.zykansafe.com
July 04, 2017, 02:23 PM
Aeteocles
I find that regular maintenance seems to be the best medicine for this problem.

Clean the lenses frequently to remove oxidation buildup, use a fine polish occasionally, and the lenses a little wax from time to time to seal it.
July 04, 2017, 02:48 PM
rtquig
I have used Meguiar's on my sons 2010 Civic and they came out well. It will only hold up for a year, then you have to do it again. Next time I am going to put a clear coat paint when I'm done.

Living the Dream
July 04, 2017, 02:53 PM
bigdeal
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
They also did the headlights, and added that in addition to rock chips, the film blocks UV and prevents the lenses from discoloring.
Please update us over time and let us know how that works out. I've seen a number of films do a great job at protecting against abrasion, but I've yet to see one that did very much for protecting the headlights against UV degradation. I'm curious to see how yours works out.
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I find that regular maintenance seems to be the best medicine for this problem.

Clean the lenses frequently to remove oxidation buildup, use a fine polish occasionally, and the lenses a little wax from time to time to seal it.
Excellent advice, but I'd recommend a good synthetic sealant instead of a wax to provide better protection and longevity. There are so many good ones on the market, you can pick the one you personally like best.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
July 04, 2017, 03:02 PM
zoom6zoom
Good to know I had some that were really bad and used the 2M restoration kit, which worked well, followed by a sealant.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
July 04, 2017, 03:07 PM
darthfuster
For the record, I use toothpaste and water. Makes a perfect buffing compound that cleans headlights. Leaves a refreshing aroma afterwards too. haha

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
July 04, 2017, 07:27 PM
SigJacket
I was thinking of buffing and covering with Lamin-x (https://lamin-x.com), but I may give Wipe New a quick try.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844
July 04, 2017, 09:37 PM
Steve Collins
I just bought new ones for my wife's 2005 Toyota Solara. Will be quite a few years before they will be cloudy again.
July 04, 2017, 09:50 PM
craglawnmanor
I have two vehicles that have oxidized headlights. I've been hesitant to try the Wipe New, as it seemed it was too easy & too good to be true. Maybe I'll give this stuff a try.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
For the record, I use toothpaste and water. Makes a perfect buffing compound that cleans headlights. Leaves a refreshing aroma afterwards too. haha

Minty fresh headlights!!! Wink

July 04, 2017, 10:38 PM
signewt
couple years ago had 2005 Chevy 23' RV; the light lenses were totally messed as described above.

Used some product at least similar to this stuff the OP posts, and had amazing improvement. Worked so well we sold the unit with no effort, I'm sure that stuff helped.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

July 04, 2017, 10:46 PM
Aeteocles
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
I have two vehicles that have oxidized headlights. I've been hesitant to try the Wipe New, as it seemed it was too easy & too good to be true. Maybe I'll give this stuff a try.

The Wipe New system is essentially a really aggressive solvent. You scrub with a little abrasive pad to remove contaminants that don't react to the solvent (water spots, for example), then you wipe the solvent on. The solvent essentially just melts away the top layer of plastic, revealing shiny new plastic underneath.

Seems pretty simple, albeit a little aggressive. I prefer using a rubbing or polishing compound and removing the top layer of plastic a little less aggressively.
July 04, 2017, 10:52 PM
Georgeair
Wax or, better yet, sealant after is the key. It's just plastic, it will get worse all over again.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

July 04, 2017, 11:30 PM
PASig
Unless you clearcoat them after polishing, they will get cloudy again with time.

July 05, 2017, 01:21 AM
sjp
I wet sand with 1000 grit, then wash, dry and clear coat. Lasts 1-2 years or more if not driven much. Costs less than 15 bucks.
July 05, 2017, 05:53 AM
charlie12
I have a truck and car I need to do

July 05, 2017, 09:44 AM
ryan81986
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
On a related note, I just had the front of my new work truck covered with a clear paint protecting film. They also did the headlights, and added that in addition to rock chips, the film blocks UV and prevents the lenses from discoloring.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? I had my windows tinted a couple weeks ago and they were offering a similar product for the hood of the car. The quoted cost was $1800 for the entire hood.

For that price I'd rather just repaint the hood if I have to.

July 05, 2017, 09:48 AM
erj_pilot
My 1997 Toyota Corolla...New headlight lenses were cheap enough from Amazon that I just bought all new lenses. I'm gonna say, accounting for time and effort, it was cheaper in the long-run than "restoring" the OEM lenses, which I had done once before with a 3M kit.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24