SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airplane people: What plane is this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airplane people: What plane is this? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Appears to be a trainer of some sort.

Sorry for picture quality, it's a screen capture from a video I'm watching.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Skyraider?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Looks like a T-28 Trojan

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
T-28 Trojan, as mentioned.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I looked at that but the distortion in the video threw me off. Looking at the details, thats just what it is.

Thanks.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That brings back memories of a childhood in deep south Texas. My dad was a maintenance chief with the ATC. T-28's, T-34's, T-37's.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
So is the T-28 a Trainer ? And what exactly are the primary differences between Trainers and "regular" airplanes ? Is it related to stability/forgiveness vs performance, or is there more to it ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
So is the T-28 a Trainer ? And what exactly are the primary differences between Trainers and "regular" airplanes ? Is it related to stability/forgiveness vs performance, or is there more to it ?

The primary role of a trainer is to be used to train pilots. Fighters are used to fight, bombers to bomb, etc. The T-28 was an advanced trainer. I'd bet that some third world countries have armed them up and used them as fighters, but that is not what they were designed for initially, nor what they were primarily used for in the US. (They may have had other uses here, but training was the primary).

Trainers would have two sets of controls and would be setup so that an instructor could instruct the student, keep an eye on what was going on, and if necessary take control.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Also if an airplane was designed specifically to be a trainer, it would have some of the stability/forgiveness properties that wrightd was asking about.

The perfect example is the T-37 Tweet. That thing was almost indestructible. It had the highest G-onset rate of any airplane in the Air Force, yet every ham-fisted student could yank that stick around for all he was worth and only hurt himself. Want to get into a spin? Those poor Tweets were thrown into spins almost every day of their lives, and again had panicked students slamming rudder pedals and yanking controls to every physical stop available.

And yes, even the US converted the mighty Tweet into a combat aircraft - the A-37. Many Central and South American countries also bought the A-37 as a cheap bomb-dropper.

I think I remember that the US put T-38 motors in the A-37s. Without the afterburners, of course. The stock T-37 motors were centrifugal compressors, which not only made that high-pitched squeal but also made them damn near bulletproof. To this day I am convinced that I could walk up to a running Tweet with a 2x4 and just start feeding it into the engine and with no issues at all have a bunch of burnt sawdust come out of the back. Smile

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I'd bet that some third world countries have armed them up and used them as fighters, but that is not what they were designed for initially, nor what they were primarily used for in the US.

The French did just that. Take a look at the T-28 Fennec. After the French were done with them, they sold them off to other air forces.

Posts: 924 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd bet that some third world countries have armed them up and used them as fighters . . .
So you are calling the United States a third world country?

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.m...erican-t-28a-trojan/

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.m...ssna-a-37-dragonfly/

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
I'd bet that some third world countries have armed them up and used them as fighters . . .
So you are calling the United States a third world country?

Well, the LibTurds are doing their best, but I don't think we're there yet. Smile

quote:

Thanks, I didn't know about the Deltas!

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
T- = Trainer

P- = Pursuit

F- = Fighter

B- = Bombers.

Simples.

tac

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments, thanks!

First thing I thought when I saw that bird is "I bet that thing is tougher than a baked owl. And with that big ol' radial on the front, I bet it goes like a streak too!"

Based entirely on appearances and a staggering lack of knowledge of airplanes.

posted Hide Post
Brian Shul, a former SR-71 pilot who wrote "Sled Driver, was shot down in an attack model over Viet Nam.

https://www.amazon.com/Sled-Dr...orld%27s+fastest+jet

Wiki calls it an AT-28, T-28D might be more accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Shul

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
What bird has replaced the mission of the SR-71 ? Satellites ? And do we need a plane that can travel that fast ? If we do, what plane is it ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
And this is what it looks like when you run your freshly restored beauty out of fuel on its maiden voyage. Interestingly, it shares many of the same systems with the beech bonanza, such as wings and landing gear.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
No, it doesn't. You are thinking of the T-34 Mentor. The T-28 is considerbly larger.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
rscalzo is correct. The T-34 up to the 'B' model even shared the same Continental engine series as the Bonanza. The 'C' model used a turbine engine and drank kerosene instead of gasoline.

As far as I know, all T-28 models used a radial engine. The T-34 piston engines were opposed, not radial.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No, it doesn't. You are thinking of the T-34 Mentor. The T-28 is considerbly larger.

You are correct, my mistake.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post