SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What item once you get a taste of the luxury version, means you can't go back to the economy version?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What item once you get a taste of the luxury version, means you can't go back to the economy version? Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I agree with just about everything else. I will add:

Guitars
Tube Amplifiers
Wine

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Luchesse boots

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't afford luxury stuff yet in life. I have some good kitchen knives and can make some luxurious food. So for now just food and knives.

Even if I end up having money in life, high end isn't my thing. I prefer high quality over luxury. Give me a product that does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it for a long time, that's all I need. The difference in quality from high quality to luxury is not worth the difference in cost, in most situations.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've Champagne tastes on a pop-fizzle rice-water (what many Americans think of as "beer") budget, so there are so many things. Off the top of my head...

I'd have to say single-malt Scotch tops the list. Cheap, blended Scotch tastes to me like rubbing alcohol, now.

True story: A buddy and his wife bought a fifth of Glenfiddich to have on-hand for when a stopped over. "Oh, you shouldn't have done that. This is expensive." I told them Dewar's (which I hadn't tasted in many years) would be fine. Boy, was I ever wrong about that!

Second place is probably tools. Can't abide by cheap, "homeowner-grade" tools of any kind--from screwdrivers, through power tools, to lawn equipment.

Closely behind, in third, is a tie between beer and coffee. Common varieties of those are less unpalatable than poor Scotch, and more tolerable than cheaply-made tools, but by only a thin margin.

Fourth place I guess goes to automobiles. My CR-V was only ever "just ok" with respect to ride experience. After driving my wife's TrailBlazer for several days I couldn't stand the CR-V any more. The Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is pimped-out pretty nicely, was yet another, and fairly significant step up from that. I imagine going back to the CR-V at this point would feel like down-grading to a buckboard Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Cheese.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Women
Wine
Bourbon
Guns (1911s)
Fresh vegetables vs canned
Cars
Suits
Shoes

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm proud to have successfully instilled an appreciation for and a pursuit of producing quality in my kids. This thread has me evaluating goods worthy of posting here, and it seems most of my purchases are good to excellent quality for decent prices verses ultimate quality at high expense. A benchmark for successful goods choice is finding new features or attributes about a product that you weren't aware of when you bought them.

Quality clothing: Arcteryx, Sitka, wool underwear and Smartwool

As noted and famously quoted: "Accurate firearms are the only interesting firearms" FN Mausers, Older S&Ws, pre 64 1894's, and older Rem 700's work well.

Honda cars and motorcycles have provided good service since I bought a CB350 in 1972. My son is driving a 2001 Accord that my wife bought new. It has 305K miles on it and a more reliable and inexpensive to operate car I can't imagine.

Henckels kitchen knives have worked well for me for over 30 years. I sometimes use cheaper ones and I could suffice with them if forced. If I won the lottery I'd have much more expensive kitchen knives than I do, but don't "need" them.

I have lots of tools and they are mostly American made, but there are good Taiwan made tools. I've got a set of Snap On combo wrenches that I've never used since my use habit excludes them and I get by just fine without them.

I like good food, but I also have learned to make good dishes out of inexpensive ingredients. Like my dad, I'd make a great lumber camp cook. That doesn't mean the food doesn't taste good, it means I can cook large quantities fairly inexpensively. Cheap, or farmed, or not fresh seafood doesn't work.

Most of my sporting goods and I have lots, are good quality but not the most expensive. I go pretty nuts for ice skates and roller blades, but I could spend much more. Some people spend thousands on their speed skates. Bauer Supremes and CCM Tacks made in Canada work well for me.

Bates motorcycle leathers. I have two jackets and a pair of pants. I could spend more on Thurlow or Vanson.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Border Collies. I loved all the Malamutes and Siberians we had over the past 30 years. But our current BC is ,in a word...AMAZING.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I can't afford luxury stuff yet in life. I have some good kitchen knives and can make some luxurious food. So for now just food and knives.

Even if I end up having money in life, high end isn't my thing. I prefer high quality over luxury. Give me a product that does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it for a long time, that's all I need. The difference in quality from high quality to luxury is not worth the difference in cost, in most situations.

Well said, Jesse.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Mattress
Sheets
Steaks
Cruises/Resorts
Whiskey
Wimmins, traded in my clunker for sweet, luxurious ride.

Posts: 5324 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Pussy was the first thing that came to mind...and once you start thinking about pussy, it's hard to think about anything else!

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Living in a 1st world country. I was very close to being a rich person, and became “poor” upon (legally, of course) immigrating to Canada. I would not go back to my country of birth for ANY money.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Balsamic vinegar

Craft beer

Triggers

Good hiking shoes, socks

Edited to add: Cider per my gf. She can’t drink anyhing other than Rekordelig now.

Posts: 124 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Pussy was the first thing that came to mind...and once you start thinking about pussy, it's hard to think about anything else!

True - I’m partial to Norwegian Forest cats...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Cigars

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Real Italian food.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Stethoscope. I see people carrying shitty playsckool ones at work and I know they can’t hear shit.

Littmanns for me! Though I have to admit the longevity of their tubing has been lacking in tbe past few years... The master cardiology I’ve had for 18 years still is better than anything else I’ve tried.

Ok...I am soooo far from a doctor but people really think about these things?

And people worry about my vices... Wink

So if I miss a sublet murmur with a shitty stethoscope and you die from a cardiac condition you would still call it a vice? The fact is that better stethoscopes pick up anomalies and help distinguish sounds better than crappier ones. It’s like bringing a pair of pliers from the dollar store to the job site over quality American made tools.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

Do you prefer rubber, silicone, or perhaps just a hand. Seems you're certainly not interested in a person. Roll Eyes

I love high quality tools, in particular yard tools. Honda lawnmowers, and commercial grade Stihl / Husqvarna chain saws. I love stuff that just works and works without much fussing around when a tree is on the ground.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Stethoscope. I see people carrying shitty playsckool ones at work and I know they can’t hear shit.

Littmanns for me! Though I have to admit the longevity of their tubing has been lacking in tbe past few years... The master cardiology I’ve had for 18 years still is better than anything else I’ve tried.

So if I miss a sublet murmur with a shitty stethoscope and you die from a cardiac condition you would still call it a vice? The fact is that better stethoscopes pick up anomalies and help distinguish sounds better than crappier ones. It’s like bringing a pair of pliers from the dollar store to the job site over quality American made tools.

Yeah. To the uninitiated, it seems strange. Mrs.BurtonRW only uses a Cardiology III. Cardiologists occasionally borrow it from her.

For me, it’s first class air travel and suits.

-Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BurtonRW,

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Still using my Master Cardiology for the past 10 years! Lord knows my residents never carry a stethoscope worth a nickel.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post