New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earthquake Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I had literally gotten into bed just now and a pretty hard shaker hit. No idea how bad yet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
You ok?

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, but for a moment I thought the building about to come down. Was ready to evacuate. The last time I personally felt a jolt that strong was the '89 Loma Prieta.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
4.5 Centered 3km ESE of Berkley at 0239 local.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
4.5 Centered 3km ESE of Berkley.

Sounds about right. I'm just across the bay in San Mateo.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was a decently fun one.

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I felt it too. Currently in a hotel at 4th and Mission and felt the bed rocking back and forth.

Just confirmed it on the USGS site.

That’s freaky.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5760 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
We have quakes weekly here now. I'm pretty much don't even notice them anymore.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Woke my ass up @2:40....

Not really a big deal, I just went back to sleep.

I've been in hundreds of quakes living in the Bay Area my whole life.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3489 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woke me up. Couldn't tell at first if it was a quake or a big tree fell. Then I stayed awake wondering if the quake might cause a big tree to fall. One liquor bottle fell off the shelf but did not break.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
One liquor bottle fell off the shelf but did not break.

Whew. Well thank God for that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
We have some occasional small ones here in East Tennessee. I wouldn't want to have them often. Last one woke me in bed and I thought I was in a scene from The Exorcism.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
One liquor bottle fell off the shelf but did not break.

Someone needs to invest in a restraining system, maybe some 550 cord or something. One cannot have liquor bottles just bouncing willy nilly about the premises. That privilege is restricted to wives/and or girlfriends.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
We have quakes weekly here now. I'm pretty much don't even notice them anymore.
Yep, unfortunately they have caused a lot of wall cracks in my house, and doors stuck/not closing. Going to have to resort to hiring one of those foundation jack places. Earth quake insurance here is useless unless there is I think a 75%+ loss of home value.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m ~30 miles east of the epicenter as the crow flies. Slept like a baby right through it. Woke up my wife though. Have co workers that live near there and shook them out of bed. Fun thing about working in SF is so many non natives, both foreign born as well as transplants from other states. When they get their earthquake cherry broke they feel like they have their “I’m finally a Californian” moment.

Posts: 4777 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I like to call earthquakes California's fifth season. The other four are dry, rainy, windy and fire. Big Grin

I lived 15 miles from the main San Andreas Fault, at the point where it runs through Cajon Pass, for 20 years. I got shaken up a few times, even with the epicenters many miles away, notably two on the same day in Landers/Yucca Valley and Big Bear Lake in 1992 (7.3 and 6.5 respectively) and east of Barstow in 1999 (7.1).

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I slept right through it. I guess I've "gotten use to them."

Kinda like these guys:

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10708 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was staying in Alameda near the airport, the odd thing was you heard the rumble than a moment later the shaking. I immediately thought an airplane had crashed, ran over to the windows looking for a big glow, debris falling or, smoke. Nope, just an earthquake. Centered 8-miles below the historic Claremont Hotel in Berkeley along the Hayward fault.

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I was staying in Alameda near the airport, the odd thing was you heard the rumble than a moment later the shaking. I immediately thought an airplane had crashed, ran over to the windows looking for a big glow, debris falling or, smoke. Nope, just an earthquake. Centered 8-miles below the historic Claremont Hotel in Berkeley along the Hayward fault.

Yep, I knew what P-waves were, and seconds before the '89 quake hit, I heard this high-pitched squeal, and said to myself, "we're about to get a big earthquake".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."