SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mark Zuckerberg loses $16B in one day as Facebook stock plunges 20 percent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Zuckerberg loses $16B in one day as Facebook stock plunges 20 percent Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My 7th grade niece does not have a FB account. And gave me a funny look when I asked if she had one.

As the youth go, so goes the nation ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Insiders are dumping and the major shareholders want Zuckerberg out. Kids don’t even use FB and grownups are curtailing their own use. I don’t see this as a buying opportunity...yet.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
But so what? What did he do to you haters?

I believe most of the disdain around here comes from the liberal bias of Facebook, more than Zuckerberg himself. But as the face and founder of the company, and since he plays a significant role in it's guidance, well, there's plenty of tar for all. Aside from any political angle, Facebook has other negatives and it's debatable just how positive a role they play in this world. I've never felt comfortable enough to bother joining.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
FB makes money in only two ways and I'm not sure they've ever turned a profit it.

They make money selling ads which annoys the fuck out of people and that's why ad blockers exist or they make money selling your data to other people.

It's most selling data which is why Zuckerberg sent to great lengths in his congressional testimony to call it everything but that. Selling private data isn't something people like and he's the wormy poster child of that practice.

The bubble is bursting.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Give me a call when he's searching under the couch cushions for ramen money.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The stock is still good. We bought a decent amount when it was new, and at less than $40. It was under $20 at some point, wish we got even more at that time. It has been at 165-180 and sometimes higher for a long time, been on a fairly strong climb since the springtime. They say it may have set the record for most lost by a company in a single day. Would be nice to lose that kind of money and not really notice, hard to imagine really.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Zuckerberg lives a notoriously ordinary life outside of work, and resides in an average house in Palo Alto, CA. In fact, even his fans wish he would live a bit larger in keeping with his net worth.

I don't think so.

Zuckerberg's house in Palo Alto is a 5000 sq ft house purchased for 7 million dollars 7 years ago. 5000 sq ft is a large house even by Texas standards, but a huge one in Palo Alto. He also bought out four of the surrounding properties (one of them for 14 mil), knocked the structures down, and built much smaller structures, all for increased privacy and unobstructed views. He also has a 10 million dollar house in San Fran, pissing off his neighbors with the 2 million dollar renovation construction. And we're not counting his 100 million dollar Kauai oceanfront property of 750 acres, where he will build his vacation home.

Hardly "ordinary" and "average".

And great if the asshole loses a chunk.

The Hawaiians are pissed in general, but especially those on Kauai. Zuckernuts put up this brick wall and pissed them all off. Ordinary life my ass. I hope he loses all his money and his stupid app/website gets flushed down the toilet. Never understood why 2A supporters use that piece of trash. Zuckernuts and his whole company hate you and he donates to the Democratic Party. So if you want to lose your 2A rights and support the libs, by all means log onto your Fakebook account. The company is worth what it is because they sell all your data, everything, to the highest bidder. So if you don’t care about privacy, or others privacy, post away on there.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
In other news....Amazon hits new all-time highs in tonight's evening session on record profits. Jeff Bezos gains nearly $5billion to cross the $150 billion net worth mark - more than double the net worth of Mark Zuckerberg.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zuckerberg lives a notoriously ordinary life outside of work, and resides in an average house in Palo Alto, CA. In fact, even his fans wish he would live a bit larger in keeping with his net worth.

Yeah, totally ordinary.

Who needs a gun to defend themselves when you have a $10 million personal security force?

Zuckerberg Security Costs $10 million:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/2...family-security.html

Posts: 523 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All politics aside, here's my beef with Facebook:

They aren't marketing a product that you can buy off the shelf at a grocery store, car dealership, best buy, etc. There is no intrinsic value to a Facebook account. It's simply a way for families and friends to keep up with each other, or for bored people at work to find memes.

As was stated earlier, teens aren't using the platform because they don't feel like being on the same platform as their parents and grandparents.

This is just but a fad that won't go away entirely, but will fade. Anyone remember Myspace??? At least there I could have a music track playing on my page.

So how a stock like that has value is beyond me - the stock value seems massively overvalued, and I'd settle for it being worth about a roll of toilet paper. Not even the good stuff like Charmin, the single-ply that barely gets the job done.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does he have body guards that are armed?

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
FB makes money in only two ways and I'm not sure they've ever turned a profit it.

WTF? Not sure if they've ever turned a profit? Pull your head out of your ass and think about what you just said. They have sold a TON of data for a profit...

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
They make money selling ads which annoys the fuck out of people and that's why ad blockers exist or they make money selling your data to other people.

You sure about that cowboy? Their data is valuable as hell, they've made a profit.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Z’s security is better than some heads of state. The bunker on his property is impressive...

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
quote:

Yeah, totally ordinary.

Who needs a gun to defend themselves when you have a $10 million personal security force?

Zuckerberg Security Costs $10 million:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/2...family-security.html

Well it is all relative. Of course there will be differences due to his wealth category. So relatively ordinary, keyword relative.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
And he’s doing the same thing for his residence in Hawaii, apparently trying to strong arm owners of adjacent properties to sell.

Zuckerberg is scum and I’ve always had the opinion of him, that, he’s way out of his league with Facebook. It’s one thing to be a visionary and developer, it’s another matter entirely managing a product as large as Facebook.

He’s out of his depth and if he doesn’t step aside, it will be FB’s demise.

quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
quote:

An average 7 million dollar house in a neighborhood where he bought up several other houses totaling over 30 million that he then tore down. Yeah, sounds ordinary....?

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
But I'm noticing a sharp drop of friends who actively post. Younger people hardly give a shit about facebook.

I think it's mostly due to the whole privacy thing and how toxic it has become with people constantly posting political shit. I had to cut off people for that reason, democrat or republican.

Yeah, I have an account and maybe roll through it once or twice a month to like some of my friends photos. But I haven't posted a word in at least a year. I used a program to delete every post, comment, or like that I've ever made up to this year. And I run it every couple of months to purge it again.

My son and his GF have no FB account (young adults) and spend ZERO time on social media. Like none at all. They work summer jobs, go to the beach, play some video games, and get ready for the next semester of college.

What is this software you speak of..?

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
But I'm noticing a sharp drop of friends who actively post. Younger people hardly give a shit about facebook.

I think it's mostly due to the whole privacy thing and how toxic it has become with people constantly posting political shit. I had to cut off people for that reason, democrat or republican.

Yeah, I have an account and maybe roll through it once or twice a month to like some of my friends photos. But I haven't posted a word in at least a year. I used a program to delete every post, comment, or like that I've ever made up to this year. And I run it every couple of months to purge it again.

My son and his GF have no FB account (young adults) and spend ZERO time on social media. Like none at all. They work summer jobs, go to the beach, play some video games, and get ready for the next semester of college.

What is this software you speak of..?

You delete it from your view, and others in the general public, but it's still in there. You can take that to the bank.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But so what? What did he do to you haters?

I'm not a hater - hate requires a lot of effort, and I don't think it's worth it.

But, have you read Mark Dice's book The True Story of Fake News? I have been aware of the bias in the media my whole life thanks to my father, and the first half of Dice's book was nothing new to me. But, then he gets into what's going on today with Facebook, et al. I learned quite a bit. Any conservative would have extremely negative opinions about Facebook after reading about their track record and their agenda. Zuckerberg is the face of Facebook, so naturally, he's going to bee seen negatively by default.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10708 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post