SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Diagnosing 4Runner Warning Lights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Diagnosing 4Runner Warning Lights Login/Join 
posted
On my 2007 Toyota 4Runner, the 4 warning lights related to the VSC/ABS/Traction Control features come on and stay on when the car is started. If I move the car about 10 feet and then turn it off and back on, the lights will go out. Sometimes I have to do this a second time.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
If so, how bad was it to fix?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Wild guess, but costs nothing. See if your brake fluid is borderline low. Similar happened on my Corvette once.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Maybe just needs a re-calibration. Here's a video of how to do this.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2007 Toyota 4Runner, the 4 warning lights related to the VSC/ABS/Traction Control

Go to Toyot4runner.org. There are numerous threads about this. That site is great for diagnosing 4runner issues.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a wheel speed sensor?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Those particular idiot lights can come on for a variety of reasons. Low brake fluid, as mentioned, can do it. There’s a sensor attached to the brake pedal that can also cause it...really could be several things. Might be very minor.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Mine have been on for years on my 2003 4Runner with 267k 4.7L V8

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue on a 4Runner. ABS, vcs, trac and engine light came on. Had to replace yaw rate sensor.
From my understanding it is a common issue with early 2000s 4Runner and Sequoias.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Downstream O2 sensor if I recall correctly.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Downstream O2 sensor if I recall correctly.

Has nothing to do with this issue. The downstream O2 sensor is simply to monitor catalytic efficiency, and will set an emissions code and a check engine light.

Posts: 5198 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Check to see if there are any codes, this will give you a direction to go. You will need a scanner that can retrieve ABS codes.

Posts: 5198 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
any updates?

Here are 2 links that might be worth looking at from t4r.org
Link 1

Link 2

Seems that you may have some faulty wheel speed sensors like Balze suggested.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy pulled the codes and it showed a wheel speed sensor error.

We put it up on the rack to take a look and the wire on the front left wheel speed sensor had popped out of the clips and was laying on the hub. He said that induction could be inducing some false signals. We put it back in the clip and cleared the codes.

It's been about 3 weeks and, knock on wood, the problem has not come back.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post