SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airthings air quality monitors -- anyone here use one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airthings air quality monitors -- anyone here use one? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Over the last few days I've seen these Airthings 2930 indoor air quality monitors mentioned, particularly in reference to radon measurements.

Anyone here use one? Use something similar?

It seems like a mighty neat thing to have, but at $229, it's much more than an impulse purchase....

AirThings 2930

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My question is are the things it monitors important to monitor. Does it give reliable readings on things that could help me or is it just a fun gadget?

I already have a temperature and humidty with an inexpensive monitor that also gives me outdoor temp/humidty.

I have a CO2 monitor. Granted it just goes off if there is a problem. I could see it being neat to know the exact CO2 levels but are they really going to be anything but almost nothing to get out of the house at which point my current monitor would start making all kinds of noise.

Total VOCs could be cool but do they really become dangerous in a house.

Radon. You can test for it and many homes around here have something to remove radon from the basement. Would be cool to see levels but how accurate is this unit.

FWIW I don't know. Just wondering if it gives you any helpful/useful readings or is just a neat gadget.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's a very good question, frankly.
At first, it looked like a fun gadget. Then I saw the price tag.

Thanks to current weather (chilly) and noise (neighbor's hounds), my windows are closed most of the time. Radon has popped up in my reading recently, and I began to wonder about concentrations increasing due to the "seal-up."

A quick look at the AirThings gadget seems to show it's reliable and accurate; I'll take the reviews with a grain of salt.

This is just another of my "wonder if that's worth having" exercises, I suppose.

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
For radon, is it certified by either the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB) or the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists–National Radon Proficiency Program (AARST-NRPP)? State programs that require the use of state-certified devices use these two proficiency programs.

If not, I would not make decisions based on results.

If you really want to know home radon levels, test kits can be ordered here: https://sosradon.org/purchase-kits. $15 for short-term, $25 for long-term test. I’d do one of each, put them in basement if you have one, as that will be where your highest levels would typically occur.

If you have granite counters, put one on top of the granite - some granites are higher than others in naturally occurring uranium. Radon is on the decay chain of the ~3 billion year uranium half life.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
If you really want to know home radon levels, test kits can be ordered here: https://sosradon.org/purchase-kits. $15 for short-term, $25 for long-term test. I’d do one of each, put them in basement if you have one, as that will be where your highest levels would typically occur.

A far better deal.
Thank you.

God bless America.