SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fast curing, heat resistant body filler?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast curing, heat resistant body filler? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone in the powder coating business here? I'm searching for a fast curing, high temperature filler that can be used on steel and aluminum. It needs to withstand a minimum of 30 minutes at 380°-400°. Also, it needs to be conductive for powder coating, and not alter the color of the powder.

I saw a product from Alvin, but the cure time is 24 hours. I have a maximum of 20 minute cycle times, so that product is not for us.

It also needs to be "idiot" proof. A one part application would be best so we don't have to mess around with mixing hardener and ratios.

Am I chasing a non-existent product? Please advise.

Thank you.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I ask a question the Sigforum can't answer? Preposterous!

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Found this article that seems on topic:

https://www.bicmagazine.com/de...e%20powder%20coating.

Alvin Products Lab Metal or High Temp Lab Metal

https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-R...id=1695902967&sr=8-6

I see these products have too long of curing time and require heat curing. I suspect the demands you require will not be met by a single part product that can cure in 20 minutes.

Posts: 7481 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
They used to use lead solder for body work filler decades ago. Lead melts at about 800℉, lead/tin solder a little less depending on the formulation, but I'm not sure how well it adheres to Al, or if it can be effectively powder coated. Might be worth looking into, anyway.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read that article before and looked into the Alvin products. The cure time is the kicker for it at 24 hours. I need 20 minutes maximum as that is our cycle time.

Lead would not work due to the health hazard involved.