SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    question about lead contamination
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question about lead contamination Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Does warm water "open" pores?

Not according to dermatologists, but warm water improves the cleaning action.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
While you're washing your hands, don't forget your mustache and beard. Lead dust will gladly settle on your hairy face.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good precautions mentioned about hygiene. I recall most lead is ingested from hand to mouth. So hand washing is good practice.
As for indoor facilites, good maintenance of the ventilation system is critical. A minimum velocity, I don't recall the recommended minimum, at each point is obviously important, to keep fumes moving down range. SO as suggested, good practice to wash hands after every shooting session. Assume undesired stuff is all over everything. Also, don't eat paint chips.

Posts: 256 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience on ranges a decent sink to wash right away is exceptionally rare. And good soap for lead removal is even less common. What I use is lead removal wipes (mine are by hygenall, but there are many brands) since I can do that immediately leaving the range and not transfer the lead to the steering wheel only to pick it up later.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
After you wash your hands, rinse out your nostrils. And then blow your nose.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm one of those old geezers with his head in the sand, the only lead contamination I'm worried about is the 100 - 200 grains coming out the end of someone's barrel.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post