SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting married early October, where to go for honeymoon
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting married early October, where to go for honeymoon Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
On this note, my company is planning a meeting later this year and weve been looking into Florida gulf coast.

Weve narrowed it down to three in FL and one in Puerto Rico:

-Opal Sands Clearwater Beach: decent room rate, looks really nice, 25 min from Tampa airport
https://www.opalsands.com/

-The Resort at Longboat Key Club: high room rate but this is really luxurious and they have golf and tennis on site and a marina nearby. Nearby airport is Sarasota (20 min) and Tampa (1 hr).
https://www.longboatkeyclub.com/

-Hilton Marco Island: 1 hr drive from Naples RSW airport, two hours from Miami room rate not bad but (for us, wont affect you) the catering costs and the service charges are excessive
https://www.hiltonmarcoisland.com/

-Caribe Hilton San Juan: cheapest option and flights to PR are not that high. 20 min from airport, 10 min from downtown San Juan, great place, Ive been here twice. Recently (2019) renovated since Hurricane Maria, nice little beach on a semi-private cove, food is really good.
https://www3.hilton.com/en/hot...n-SJNHIHH/index.html

quote:
Originally posted by PPinesRon:
Check out any of the islands on Florida's West Coast, from Cedar Key to Marco Island. Or, stay at one for a couple of days and drive to another.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.littlepalmisland.com/

Maui is awesome as well - lots to do and see but not very crowded.

Might be a nice time for the SW as well (Grand Canyon, Utah parks).

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
On this note, my company is planning a meeting later this year and weve been looking into ... The Resort at Longboat Key Club

I’m in the area and our company has done an annual retreat at the Longboat Key Club for 25 years now. Happy to provide any insight if that would be helpful.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My in-laws have been going to Cancun a good bit recently... Zoetry and Secrets. They were just there a month ago and said it was pretty easy. The resorts most likely have a testing facility there and when you arrive they find out when you're returning and go ahead and schedule your test and then you get your results quickly.

That said, Staniel Cay Bahamas is on my short list. We went to Harbour Island 2 years ago and really loved it. Nothing all-inclusive on HI, though, so Staniel looks incredible.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Gatlinburg (sp?) is a beautiful area, especially in the fall. Williamsburg is nice especially if you’re history buffs, plenty of restaurants, breweries and a distillery or two. More low key trip to a coastal area is the New Bern area of NC. Also check out Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA (also for the historical and laid back aspects).

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave

Price-wise it might be out of contention...this will be a scientific conference for about 125 people for which we will charge attendance, and we cant price it above a certain threshold and expect a lot of people to opt-in. We can lose a bit of money on the deal but not 6 figures...

Also we were considering Melia Paradisus Play del Carmen but are thinking people might not be comfortable going to MX this year.

We'll prob go to PDC MX in 2023

quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
On this note, my company is planning a meeting later this year and weve been looking into ... The Resort at Longboat Key Club

I’m in the area and our company has done an annual retreat at the Longboat Key Club for 25 years now. Happy to provide any insight if that would be helpful.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the both of you. My 2cts would be to stay in the continental US. because of travel restrictions that may still be active getting some where or returning without some unplanned extended stay . Research travel insurance policies. Also laws in other countries could be extreme for US citizens which they could care less and maybe even target the US citizens. Whatever you choose take care and enjoy. .............................. drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’d say Hawaii to include Pearl Harbor. Sanibel island is nice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

And if you go to Hawaii and want to go to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial, be sure and take the government tour and now one of the private company tours.

Why? Because only the government tour allows you go go on the Memorial itself, the others only get to drive a boat around it once or twice.

I've been on the Memorial around 20 times or so and it's always one of the high points of my trip.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We are from PA too and got married in October 2012 and went to Ireland and LOVED IT.

I guess that's out now though. Frown

I'd definitely stick to a free state and steer well clear of the COVID Commie states.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Kauai. Best Hawaiian island.

I thought "Maui no ka oi"? Wink Actually, I think all the Hawaiian islands are the best, each for different reasons. Kauai is a great choice for the sheer natural beauty (Jurassic Park was filmed there). I would also consider Lanai for a honeymoon. Very low key, perfect for an intimate getaway. Not a lot of lush scenery, but you can toggle between a world-class mountain resort (they have a sporting clays course) and a stylish beach resort. Bill Gates had his wedding and honeymoon there, renting out the entire island and locking out the media.

Maui is only good for whales and seeing the sunrise over Haleakala. I'll agree that Lanai now seems like a good option, but when I was there picking pineapples as a kid, it sucked.

Kauai is a very small town, yet beautiful vibe that I love.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

And if you go to Hawaii and want to go to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial, be sure and take the government tour and now one of the private company tours.

Why? Because only the government tour allows you go go on the Memorial itself, the others only get to drive a boat around it once or twice.

I've been on the Memorial around 20 times or so and it's always one of the high points of my trip.
Amen. And take tissues/hankies.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been, but my eye is on the American Virgin Islands. Airfare is cheap and I hear traveling there during COVID is easy because it is a US Territory.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Charleston has really nice weather that time of year, but it’s pretty much only good for dining and going out.

Vienna/Innsbruck would be great, but not sure what the COVID stuff will be like.

You know the lady

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
All great suggestions, thank you all Smile

I showed her Jade Mountain and she was all about it until she saw the cost. She seems to show the most interest in going to an all-inclusive or to a minimally restricted location. I think Mexico is out, she doesn't seem comfortable with maybe going there.

She was liking the Sandals resorts in the Bahamas and St Lucia. And the Keys are still on the table.

There is still a bunch of other suggestions here I need to research and show her.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Gatlinburg (sp?) is a beautiful area, especially in the fall. Williamsburg is nice especially if you’re history buffs, plenty of restaurants, breweries and a distillery or two. More low key trip to a coastal area is the New Bern area of NC. Also check out Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA (also for the historical and laid back aspects).
We go to Williamsburg every few years. She loves it down there and I enjoy it too Smile

I brought up maybe somewhere on the coast in NC, SC or GA.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
We are from PA too and got married in October 2012 and went to Ireland and LOVED IT.

I guess that's out now though. Frown

I'd definitely stick to a free state and steer well clear of the COVID Commie states.
We were pretty much settled on a Scotland/UK trip until it looked like there was going to be heavy restrictions for all or 2021.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Tahiti, you'll never afford to do it after you're married.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Melia Paradisus Playa del Carmen is all inclusive and very luxurious. Wife and I went there Feb 2020 before the Rona panic. Super nice. If you go do the concierge level (They used to call it Royal Service, not sure what they changed it to) as it has private pool, private restaurant, private beach access and 24/7 butler service included.

quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
All great suggestions, thank you all Smile

I showed her Jade Mountain and she was all about it until she saw the cost. She seems to show the most interest in going to an all-inclusive or to a minimally restricted location. I think Mexico is out, she doesn't seem comfortable with maybe going there.

She was liking the Sandals resorts in the Bahamas and St Lucia. And the Keys are still on the table.

There is still a bunch of other suggestions here I need to research and show her.

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Tahiti, you'll never afford to do it after you're married.

After 25 years, we're looking at a Bora Bora overwater. It's pricey as hell. My wife will never let me fly over big water in coach again.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
I’ve never been, but my eye is on the American Virgin Islands. Airfare is cheap and I hear traveling there during COVID is easy because it is a US Territory.

The US Virgin Islands are the armpit of the Carribbean. BVI's are much nicer and French Islands much much nicer.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post