SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Adobe Acrobat -- is there a good substitute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adobe Acrobat -- is there a good substitute? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use Scanner Pro on my iPhone. Also available for Android.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
So when I moved last month, that printer didn't even come with me. I need to get a new one now, one that includes a scanner and preferably also a send/receive fax capability. I'm not even sure if fax is possible without a landline phone, which I haven't had for years.

There are web-based fax services that give you a fax number and let you send uploaded PDFs or image files as faxes and let you view or download PDFs or image files of received faxes.

I’ve used eFax for a long time.

You have to pay for the service, of course, but it’s pretty inexpensive.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
You should be able to tell the scanner (I assumed all in one machine) to either print or send as a pdf, jpeg, etc where you want it to go. I do it all the time with my Brother all in one.

Exactly. And that's the way it worked for a couple of years... for some reason her HP device won't support that simple process anymore.

And speaking of simplicity: I do appreciate all the suggestions for smartphone apps. I'd give it a shot, but Mom's out to regain the simplicity of the process. Adding a phone and an app to the process of acquiring an image in PDF is just about opposite of simple.

1967Goat: Thank you for the Scan and Capture reference. I'll check that out.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

(Aimed at HP, Rey, not at you): That's a bunch of crap. Why the heck should a person have to create an account and log in online in order to simply scan a document? That's unnecessary complication, and just plain stupid. Way to take a simple (existing!) process and make it unnecessarily complex. Ya jerks. Mad Things can't be self-contained now... nooooo! Gotta connect to the innerwebz in order for anything to work. That's crap.

I agree. I also stupidly signed up for the ink subscription service but that's because I read that I'll lose some functionality of the printer. I'm waiting to get a replenishment ink. Then cancel the service. As it is, I have to keep count of how many pages I print every month.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While I mentioned that KOFAX is a great substitute for Acrobat on creating various PDF's.
You do not need it for scanning.
HP, Epson, Brother has scanning software for their devices and even so Microsoft has built-in software so even that is not always needed.
If there is a scanning issue look to the cause and having Acrobat or KOFAX (Nuance) is not the cure.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
HP, Epson, Brother has scanning software for their devices and even so Microsoft has built-in software so even that is not always needed.

And with that, we're back to square one: The HP product used to work smoothly. It just simply worked. Period. Now it doesn't. And Microsoft's Scan and Fax bit offers options to save as GIF, JPG, PNG, and TIF, but does not offer PDF. Grr.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:Good Luck.

Thank you.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post