SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to get a shredder which only cuts long strips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get a shredder which only cuts long strips? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
At the plant, we shred, then burn. Long strips would be better for this that the short ones we currently have.

Any idea if those log strip ones are still made?

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
At the plant, we shred, then burn. Long strips would be better for this that the short ones we currently have.

Any idea if those long strip ones are still made?

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Walmart says they have long strip shredders.

https://www.walmart.com/browse...9749_2155104_3208493

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Don't go cheap! I'm on my forth one and have had it five years now without problems. 7 sheet max. I shred anything with our Businessname, our name, and info. It get a workout once a month...maybe 500 sheets. If you need more - spend more. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fel...cid=null&athena=true

LONG CUT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: photohause,

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
Don't go cheap! I'm on my forth one and have had it five years now without problems. 7 sheet max. I shred anything with our Businessname, our name, and info. It get a workout once a month...maybe 500 sheets. If you need more - spend more.

That's a cross cut shredder. Makes little confetti bits of paper by cutting the paper both vertically as well as horizontally.

The OP said they're looking for a strip cut shredder, which makes long thin strips of paper by only cutting vertically.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is … no Chinesium please

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

How about providing the man with a link to a long cut made in the USA shredder.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

How about providing the man with a link to a long cut made in the USA shredder.

Because I’m no shredder expert … and I don’t shop for other men, generally. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I thought most shredders only cut vertically, that it took a special type to also cut horizontally.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
http://apps.fellowes.com/promo...r%2006%2009%2015.pdf

Multiple models, strip cut, designed and assembled in the USA

Just giving them away at Sam's!

https://www.samsclub.com/p/fel...Em8PlPBoCboQQAvD_BwE

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I thought most shredders only cut vertically, that it took a special type to also cut horizontally.

Cross-cut shredders tend to be the most common style these days.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a micro cut for my house.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You want the kind of shredder the Iranian hostage takers used to recover shredded embassy papers?

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
You want the kind of shredder the Iranian hostage takers used to recover shredded embassy papers?

I'd be surprised if the Iranians we're able to put it back together after being shred then burnt. If the Iranians wanted his work docs that bad I'd think they figure out a way to get them electronically.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I got nothing. I don't understand how longer strips are better for burning than shorter strips.

But I commend you on the burning part. I learned there are software programs that can put together documents just by taking a picture of the shredded pieces.

That's some good security policy you have there. No trusting Iron Mountain to take away your confidential docs and shred them for you like the companies I've been in.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on shredders but I have a reasonably heavy duty home cross cut shredder. I also burn mine and I can confirm cross-cut will burn but the long shreds burn much better. I think the short cuts don't leave enough space for o2. The long strips I used in the past would fire up instantly.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Shredded paper makes fantastic fire starter too. No more crumpling up newspapers. Our shredder is a crosscut which is a bit of a pain in the neck to handle. I can see where long strips would be easier to corral and if you are burning everything, why not?

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post