SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For all Land Cruiser fans...worlds fastest SUV
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all Land Cruiser fans...worlds fastest SUV Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

Maybe try reading up a bit on the current generation of Land Cruiser before stating that it's just a badged up grocery getter for the image conscious.

I said it was nice. They're probably running all over the place outside of Moab

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My local Toyota dealership has a Land Cruiser in stock. I LOVE everything about it except for this....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I love the Land Cruiser. The Lexus LX570 is hideous in comparison. For the similar price and capabilities, I would rather have the Lexus badge--but can't stand the look.

I think the only other production SUV that can beat the Land Cruiser for capability would be the Mercedes G Wagon that comes with 3 locking differentials. Toyota's products can be equipped with their CRAWL control, which looks pretty epic, but I'm not sure how it stacks up against 3 locking diffs.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Again let me direct you to The Grand Tour, where the guys drove a Bentley Bentayga, a Jaguar F-Pace, and a Range Rover from Wank to Kissing to Petting to F*cking, then decided not to go to Wedding but ended up at Nürnburg instead of the Nürburgring. So they did a hill climb in an old quarry, and the Range Rover climbed a very steep grade that the other SUV's couldn't do.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

And Toyota does still produce factory new 70 series Land Cruisers overseas as well, they just don't sell them here since they can't meet all of the crash and EPA standards.

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html

Brett, Toyota may not sell them, but could you order one without too much hassle? Can you get exemptions to import? Those old LCs could be serious workhorses and diesel to boot.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

And Toyota does still produce factory new 70 series Land Cruisers overseas as well, they just don't sell them here since they can't meet all of the crash and EPA standards.

Brett, Toyota may not sell them, but could you order one without too much hassle? Can you get exemptions to import? Those old LCs could be serious workhorses and diesel to boot.

The short answer is no, you can't get new production cars designated for other parts of the world for use in the US.

There are some exceptions, mostly aimed at older cars, but retrofitting them to meet US Standards can be very expensive.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

Yes those old LC70s are awesome and are bulletproof. If you had a few hundred acres out west to use it as a "farm vehicle", and never registered it for on-road use, then you can get one and use it on your private property only. But otherwise there is no way to get one of those overseas LC70s for on-road use here in the US. You would have to purchase from an overseas dealer and have them ship it here. I don't know of any way to have your local dealer order one in for you.

The overseas LC200s also have the 4.5L 32 valve V8 TT diesel with 480 lb-ft of torque that we can't get here in the US. Also a no-go importing one of those for on-road use in the US.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post