SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For all Land Cruiser fans...worlds fastest SUV
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all Land Cruiser fans...worlds fastest SUV Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
http://www.motorauthority.com/...iser-hits-230-02-mph

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Watch the recent episode of The Grand Tour, where Hammond in a Porsche 918 beats a Veyron in a drag race, but gets crushed by a guy in a Nissan Patrol with 1900 HP.

A drag race between those two "SUV's" would be entertaining.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In the pic at the link Edwards is wearing the firesuit he wore when last driving for Joe Gibbs Racing in NASCAR.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
that's pretty cool, but between the billet intake manifold and aftermarket turbos, couldn't you do this to nearly any SUV with enough money.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. From the screen shot on the 230mph run, they were running 200kpa (relative) = 29 psi of boost, at 8200RPM, on a built 5.7L. That's some serious horsepower. Cool

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
cmr076, yeah I suppose you could but it wouldn't be as cool because it wouldn't be a Land Cruiser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I had no idea Toyota was still badging a vehicle as Land Cruiser; I was expecting a 70s model.

Because you can, I guess

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Still badging? Educate yourself foo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
that's pretty cool, but between the billet intake manifold and aftermarket turbos, couldn't you do this to nearly any SUV with enough money.

I imagine just about any brick could fly, with up to 55psi of boost and cash.

Posts: 3860 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Yeah. No wonder I didn't notice them. It's a fukkin' grocery getter for the Front Range "I live in Colorado, and I'm a mountain 'person'." Looks just like everything else

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Yeah. No wonder I didn't notice them. It's a fukkin' grocery getter for the Front Range "I live in Colorado, and I'm a mountain 'person'," vehicle. Looks just like everything else

The 200 series Land Cruiser is the most off road capable and over engineered/reliable SUV that you can buy today. When you look at the suspension and drivetrain it's nothing like the average grocery getter luxury SUV that you see driving around in the suburbs, which are nothing more than a fancy Tahoe or a unibody crossover with extra ground clearance.

It's the US market that demands the Lexus-like interior and gadgets. The overseas LC200's are basic SUV's that have all of the off-road capabilities and the 20-year engineered lifespan but without the extra fluff. And Toyota does still produce factory new 70 series Land Cruisers overseas as well, they just don't sell them here since they can't meet all of the crash and EPA standards.

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brett. I'll keep that in mind if I'm shopping for a vehicle in Nairobi.

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
cmr076, yeah I suppose you could but it wouldn't be as cool because it wouldn't be a Land Cruiser.

That's very true. There's a "shop" called Ekanoo Racing from Bahrain, they have more money than they know what to do with, and make some INSANE cars, including a 1000whp Nissan Patrol. Google them, you'll love the stuff they do

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
That's awesome. From the screen shot on the 230mph run, they were running 200kpa (relative) = 29 psi of boost, at 8200RPM, on a built 5.7L. That's some serious horsepower. Cool

That makes a lot more sense. I saw them quoting 2000 HP, then I saw the video. No way they were running 2000 HP and still going that slow.

I would love to see that thing cranked all the way up.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Quote on the radio this morning said "The driver was a mom, who forgot her kid at soccer practice" Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Big Grin Laughs, spends time on the front range grocery getter. Ever cross the Rubicon? Land Cruisers are as tough as they come.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't have to go to Nairobi. You can get a LC200 at your down the street Toyota dealer. It's not just a badge on a grocery getter as you stated. It has all the legendary capabilities of the Land Cruiser heritage, it just now has the luxury interior demanded by the average US buyer.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You don't have to go to Nairobi. You can get a LC200 at your down the street Toyota dealer. It's not just a badge on a grocery getter as you stated. It has all the legendary capabilities of the Land Cruiser heritage, it just now has the luxury interior demanded by the average US buyer.
Hmm, I looked at Toyota USA, and the only Land Cruiser on the website is the one in the video. Looks like a luxury exterior as well. The down the street Toyota dealer doesn't even have the suburban type LC. I'm sure it's nice

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The LC 200 is the one in the video of the original post.

And the one that is the current pinnacle of the Land Cruiser legacy in terms of development and off-road capability.

And the one that you can buy locally at any US Toyota dealership.

And the one that is sold overseas with the same off road capabilities as the US version, but in a more utilitarian format that is more aligned with what most people think when the name "Land Cruiser" is mentioned.

Maybe try reading up a bit on the current generation of Land Cruiser before stating that it's just a badged up grocery getter for the image conscious.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

That makes a lot more sense. I saw them quoting 2000 HP, then I saw the video. No way they were running 2000 HP and still going that slow.

I would love to see that thing cranked all the way up.

Edwards said that the car started drifting at 225. That said, they would have to do some radicle body and aerodynamic work to the car to go much faster. Mega $$ needed for fabrication.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post