SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Spotify Users Switch To Amazon Music?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Spotify Users Switch To Amazon Music? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
These ball-washing bastards at Spotify are jumping on this price increase bandwagon and that's my cue to switch to Amazon Music which I get for free with a Prime membership.

Has anyone switched here? How does it compare?

I'm actually glad they did because we are going through every single bill we pay each month and looking at dropping these services we don't think are worth it anymore or don't use as much as we thought we would.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Free user here [Spotify]
Will have to let my wife know it's going up, as she's a premium user.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I use the Prime Music we get with the annual membership, they made some changes, for the free service they added a lot more music choices - good, then they eliminated the ability to re-play songs, limit the amount of skips you can do.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
It’s been a couple of years, but I tried Amazon,, Pandora, Apple Music, and Tidal. For me, Spotify was the best service.

I did not know there was a price increase coming, but I figure I’ll be paying it because I listen to Spotify a lot.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had Spotify but I like Amazon Music. I have a Prime membership, but I pay for the upgraded version. $79/year last time.

I also recently paid $109 for one year of Apple Music, which includes the Apple Classical app.

The Amazon Music “My Likes and More” is my favorite music playlist. I doubt that I’ll buy Apple Music again.

I listen mostly to classical music.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9474 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Free user here [Spotify]
Will have to let my wife know it's going up, as she's a premium user.

She'll know the next time she opens the app. It's plastered over the whole screen announcing the price change.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Amazon Music is not very good unless perhaps you pay for the Unlimited service (which I don't).

You can no longer select an album and have it play. Doing so now will result at best of playback in random order of the songs on the album and generally also results in random songs of the perceived genre (loosely speaking and as amazon perceives it based on what you selected) playback.

This is particularly undesired when you want to hear a particular song and/or if you want to play classical (where, for example, the play back order is important, let alone the random choices in pieces (different works, different composers, different artists, etc).

I use amazon music far less then I used to (perhaps that was their goal). I'm considering a pay service but undecided between apple and amazon; leaning toward the former.

If you just want something to play random selections of music for a given genre (based on some song or artist choice), it may be good enough.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
After trying Pandora, Spotify, and Amazon ~10 years ago, I went with Amazon, and I've had zero complaints with it ever since.

(Yes, I do pay for Unlimited.)

Posts: 33109 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon Music for free is ok for very casual use. You'll want the pay version as a Spotify equivalent, though

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Spotify to find new music. Many lesser known artists only publish there and Bandcamp (I buy on free fridays when everything goes to the artists)

Qubuz for high Rez files. I also have Apple Music from an Apple one acct

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yup, as others have said the free/prime version of Amazon Music is not that good.
I spend a lot of time in a vehicle most of the week and I love music.

So I have Amazon Music (Paid Version)

Pandora (still rocking the original $2.99 a month plan). This is how I go about finding new/old music I have not heard before and has a great lullaby station for putting the kiddos to sleep.
So the music I find on here gets added to my Amazon lists.

SiriusXM ($5.99 a month) I only have this for the Catholic Channel so I can listen to Seize the Day with Gus Lloyd each morning. If it weren’t for his show I would not bother with the subscription. But since I do have it I listen to Yacht Rock pretty frequently. Though I could easily use Pandora or Amazon for the same.

I find Amazon paid version to be worth every penny.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Pandora (still rocking the original $2.99 a month plan).

I don't see anything like this on their site. Are you grandfathered on this plan?

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So help me understand this:

If I'm an Amazon Prime user, I get a Spotify-like music service via that but it still has ads and I cannot skip songs? So it's basically like the free version of Spotify?

If I pay $12 a month, I get no ads and skipping (and I presume higher quality bitrate?)

My wife and I both use Spotify so it would have to be something like their Family plan.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I prefer the High Res format of Qobuz.
My next choice would be Tidal although I think the others are starting to offer the higher bit rate streams.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

If I'm an Amazon Prime user, I get a Spotify-like music service via that but it still has ads and I cannot skip songs? So it's basically like the free version of Spotify?

If I pay $12 a month, I get no ads and skipping (and I presume higher quality bitrate?)

My wife and I both use Spotify so it would have to be something like their Family plan.

On Prime music, the standard program with your Prime membership, you can skip songs but you are limited on how many you can skip in a session (logged in) there are no ads.

Link

Amazon Music Unlimited has a 90 day trial going on now, they do have individual or family plans, better bit rate, spatial audio, 100 million tunes....

Amazon Music Unlimited Link

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Pandora (still rocking the original $2.99 a month plan).

I don't see anything like this on their site. Are you grandfathered on this plan?

Yes, I probably signed up over 15 years ago for like .99 a month. My Dad bought me a Logitech Squeeze Box (wifi internet music steamer) long before smart phones were a thing. No ads, 20 skips or so (but if I need to skip more I just log out and log back in). They have bumped the price a couple times since then but still worth $2.99

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have Prime, but I don’t use Amazon Music - free or paid. I tried the paid version, but I found I liked TIDAL’s layout better. I’m happy with TIDAL right now, especially with the military discount, but I could see me jumping ship to Amazon or Apple if the price increases too much.

I, too, listen mostly to classical, so I would probably look back at Apple since they have that classical app, which they didn’t have during my free stints with them.

Also, around the house, I stream Sirius/XM through my surround sound, and I’m really happy with it. For classical in the car over satellite, it sounds good, even better while streamed. Also, I will sometimes stream it through my good system so I can listen to Martin Goldsmith’s show on 76 during the weekends.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1217 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

On Prime music, the standard program with your Prime membership, you can skip songs but you are limited on how many you can skip in a session (logged in) there are no ads.

Link

Amazon Music Unlimited has a 90 day trial going on now, they do have individual or family plans, better bit rate, spatial audio, 100 million tunes....

Amazon Music Unlimited Link

When I was on the free version the catalog was somewhat limited, too.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
All of my android phone friends use Spotify but I’ve not tried it beyond the links they send me. We’re on YouTube premium which includes YouTube music and it’s recently increased to something like $25/month. I use it daily and like the ad free service but it’s getting ridiculous.

I’m not going to Amazon but I’m watching this thread for alternatives.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I've used them all and have settled for 90% Tidal. I also have Apple Music as my kid has the student plan and we have a lot of Apple devices in the house. I've tried Qobuz twice but their CS is horrible and non responsive. The big advantage to them over Tidal is the ability to also buy FLAC and other files. Oh I have Sirius too, mainly for easy background music, NFL and NHL, etc. but the compressed sound isn't up to par with other Hi-Rez services. It's only $5/mo.

Posts: 749 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post