SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have new LED lights in my home!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have new LED lights in my home! Login/Join 
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
We are in the midst of a significant renovation. We have been users of LED's for several years now.

Our electrician replaced all pot lights with switchable LEDs. Each light is switchable from 2700 to 5000k.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
LEDs have surpassed incandescents for years now. I've had all LED bulbs in my home for ~2-3 years and only one has gone bad, unlike incandescent which pop every few months. Whether "shade tree" or professional, LED lights are far superior for mechanics. Old-fashioned "trouble" or "drop" lights, if a metal shade is used, get hot and burn you. Plastic ones are little better as they melt. A special "rough service" (some kind of coating on the lens, otherwise any little shock will blow them) bulb is needed. And they are downright dangerous around gasoline. If the glass breaks, the filament will continue to burn for a split second, which will explode gas vapors. A few years ago a local repair shop nearly burned down because of it. LEDs generate almost no heat and there is no exposed filament.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post