SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Horse rigs seen around town
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse rigs seen around town Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

It started 6-7 years ago, IIRC. We've always had local and snowbird team ropers, but by word of mouth, climate, or perhaps the Team Roper assn. web site, the whole thing exploded. Now Wickenburg is the "Team Roper" capitol. The National competitions are held here, too. And other events are represented for variety, including shooting from horseback and barrel racing.

There are currently 6 venues in town, with more just outside. One venue has two eventing rings. One can "team rope" any day of the week. In October, we get inundated by team ropers (and other eventers). Some bring two trucks, one with a fifth wheel and the other with a gooseneck horse trailer. Some buy or rent/lease a house here that they use only half the year, and some are full-time locals. Everything from single horse bumper pulls to exotics, most brands represented. Some even use a stock trailer to go to the events. It's a short ride, and their already saddled horses are just tied to a rail, no stalls.

Here's a couple of pics of the fancier rigs.

Close-up of the lettering on the first storage compartment:

Come May, I'm sort of glad to see them gone. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes buying Sigs look downright economical!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Most of my old friends in and around Wickenburg don’t like it; it’s like Sturgis all winter long. Something similar happens to every town in the West that I like. Wickenburg is especially hard for me. I met and married my wife there. Our two kids were both born there. I used to love Prescott too Frown

Can’t see the pictures, Henry

Posts: 13288 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Can’t see the pictures, Henry

My error. If you refresh the page, it should work now, redirecting to https://, as is now required by the forum software.

For the technically minded, I had my own .htaccess file in the /sigforum directory, that nullified the https rewrite code in the root. Added the rewrite code to my /sigforum/.htaccess.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve refreshed the page (two different ways) but still don’t see any photos. I’d like to see them.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8988 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’ve refreshed the page (two different ways) but still don’t see any photos. I’d like to see them.

Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

When in doubt, mumble

posted Hide Post
I can’t bring them up either.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I can see the pics just fine. Expensive rigs.

And yes, Snowbirds and such do get tiresome.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Anyone else open this thread expecting to see pics of people traveling around town via horseback, having parked their cars/trucks due to the skyrocketing price of fuel...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Anyone else open this thread expecting to see pics of people traveling around town via horseback, having parked their cars/trucks due to the skyrocketing price of fuel...

I used to have a picture of a woman on horseback in the McDonald's drive thru, but cannot locate it now.

When in doubt, mumble

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing them fine w/ firefox. I couldn't earlier when I was browsing on my kindle fire.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Suddenly, the pictures are there. Trevor Brazile hanging out in Wickenburg I see. He set a record that is unlikely to ever be broken with 26 PRCA Championships. He retired from competition…two years ago, I believe. He competed in Tie-Down Roping, Team Roping, and Steer Roping and won buckles in those events, plus 8 All-Around titles. If you paid to enter an open team roping event at some arena in Wickenburg, then see that rig pull in…

Posts: 13288 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm using Brave and only see 2 pictures, both of trucks. Are there more?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

No, but I don’t want to do that. That’s not usually necessary to see photos in posts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8988 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm using Brave and only see 2 pictures, both of trucks. Are there more?

Just two.

When in doubt, mumble

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of my old friends in and around Wickenburg don’t like it; it’s like Sturgis all winter long.

It does get crowded, but I find the ropers to be a friendly bunch. There are just so many of them. But that is not the worst thing happening to Wickenburg. Your old place of employment, Tom, is almost fully built out now, 2300 acres with 4 houses per acre, for the most part, and full of California whiners. And they are here year round. A couple hundred of them were refused membership in our shooting club, because we are at capacity, so they petitioned the town council to force the club to accept them (didn't work, though).

Not only that, the developer of "Wickenburg Ranch" (formerly Wickenburg Inn), also owns Perk's Ranch, directly across the highway, about 800 acres on the verge of development. The zoning has been approved. The zoning map is a bit large for posting here, so here's a link to it. Now that is a train wreck in the making. Frown

When in doubt, mumble

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, but I don’t want to do that. That’s not usually necessary to see photos in posts.

Well then, look at your address bar. If the URL says http://, stick an "s" in there after the "p".

When in doubt, mumble

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Those are huge! Around here, our "horse rigs" are smaller, but a lot slower. They also wear a ditch down the middle of the lane, and poop everywhere. Usually really nice, hard working people, though.

Posts: 8607 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I can see the pics in Brave, but not Safari and it does say https. That trailer look too tall for the roof over the pumps. With current pickup prices, that first truck might become a consideration for me.

Posts: 10986 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Most of my old friends in and around Wickenburg don’t like it; it’s like Sturgis all winter long.

It does get crowded, but I find the ropers to be a friendly bunch. There are just so many of them. But that is not the worst thing happening to Wickenburg. Your old place of employment, Tom, is almost fully built out now, 2300 acres with 4 houses per acre, for the most part, and full of California whiners. And they are here year round. A couple hundred of them were refused membership in our shooting club, because we are at capacity, so they petitioned the town council to force the club to accept them (didn't work, though).

Not only that, the developer of "Wickenburg Ranch" (formerly Wickenburg Inn), also owns Perk's Ranch, directly across the highway, about 800 acres on the verge of development. The zoning has been approved. The zoning map is a bit large for posting here, so here's a link to it. Now that is a train wreck in the making. Frown

I knew Cam Perks pretty well. He and my boss, Alex Boyd, used to run cattle on that land across the highway at the forks. I rode it daily during calving season and fed hay at the corrals. I also used to quail hunt on that property. Cam Perks flew a P-38 in WWII out of Burma. I see your point and agree wholeheartedly, it’s not the ropers is it