SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about military watches?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about military watches? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yup. I bought my first Rolex at the Exchange in Quang Tri for $167. It was a replacement for my Omega Constellation that got stolen in Sydney.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Yup. I bought my first Rolex at the Exchange in Quang Tri for $167. It was a replacement for my Omega Constellation that got stolen in Sydney.

Do you still have the Rolex and what model was it?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
The US military doesn't issue watches. If you want a watcb while in the military, it's up to you to go to any store that sells them, and buy one. I've heard that pilots in WWII were issued Hamilton watches. In Vietnam, Rolex Submariners were popular.

My father was a B17 pilot in WWII. He was not issued a watch. He said there was a clock on the dashboard of the cockpit. I have come to understand that the navigators were probably issued wrist watches, and that makes sense.

It is possible that fighter pilots may have had wrist watches.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I had one of these but honestly don't remember where or when I got it other than I was on active duty or what happened to it other than I don't have it any more. It was a small, lightweight, rugged plastic case of some kind, with a quartz movement. Did what it was supposed to. Smile

I do own a Marathon SAR NSN 6645-21-558-0133 original October 2001 contract. I acquired mine when first available. If memory serves only 200 pieces were available for purchase as the bulk of the contract was issued to Canadian search and rescue troops. Actually bought two (pictured here with the supplied rubber strap on one and an aftermarket Zulu strap on the other) but subsequently traded one off. That is a move I now regret. Frown I bought the well designed Marathon metal bracelet for mine when it subsequently became available.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have a GG-W-113 dated 1970

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Do you still have the Rolex and what model was it?

No, hocked it in Ogden Kansas in 1975 enroute to Germany. We were a young family then and I needed the money to take care of my wife and two kids. I was on deferred travel, had to leave them stateside while I found a place to live. I planned on replacing it when I got there.

Oyster Perpetual Datejust. Wish I still had it. Never replaced it Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least through the 1980s, there were several watches listed on on Army MTO&E at company level. Most units that had them kept them locked up in supply rooms and only handled during 10 percent inventories. Maybe they were hand-receipted to cheap First Sergeants or Company/Battery Commanders.

I imagine they were a remnant of the days when personal watches were less common and a soldier on CQ or guard duty may need to be issued one.

The watches I remember seeing were plastic-cased ones like Bald1 pictured or stainless steel-cased Hamiltons (IIRC) of similar design.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ac130nav
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
The US military doesn't issue watches. If you want a watcb while in the military, it's up to you to go to any store that sells them, and buy one.

Completely disagree! When I entered aviation cadet training, in 1961,the USAF issued all new cadets a wristwatch.

Member GOA
NRA Endowment Life Member
Father of three
Grandfather to four
Great Grandfather to two

Posts: 150 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I have a Marathon GSAR Automatic(with US Govt Markings), with a metal bracelet with US insignia. Purchased from this reputable in-line vendor. You get 5% off with first order. I will post a picture later today.

https://www.longislandwatch.co...Watch_p/ww194006.htm

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I have this Navigator's Watch,

I acquired it at a militaria show back in the '90s for $25. The crystal has a crack in it that doesn't detract from the appearance, but it's not waterproof. In addition to that it could really use a new band and, right now, the battery needs replacing. I have used it for daily wear since I purchased it, replacing the battery as needed. It could really use a new seal for the the battery access cover, come to think of it.

Posts: 12184 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you interested in legitimate vintage watches, or modern watches that are homages to vintage watches?

I ask because there’s been a trend recently with watch manufacturers to dip into the back catalog for “heritage” models. You get the benefit of modern tech (construction, movements, warranty, etc.) while still evoking the originals.

Hamilton, Bulova, even Timex make nods to their old school ones.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
Are you interested in legitimate vintage watches, or modern watches that are homages to vintage watches?

I ask because there’s been a trend recently with watch manufacturers to dip into the back catalog for “heritage” models. You get the benefit of modern tech (construction, movements, warranty, etc.) while still evoking the originals.

Hamilton, Bulova, even Timex make nods to their old school ones.

I’d looked at some of the new Hamilton watches within the last year and I’ve considered it. I like some of their Khaki mechanical models.

But the historical part of me wants one that’s of the period.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Benrus and Bulova and, IIRC, a Hamilton that I bought from someone.

I spotted the Benrus and Bulova when I was in Supply picking up a 45. I saw the watches and asked. The Supply Sergeant gave me one or both (I can't recall) and I later gave one (the Bulova) back to him that didn't work well. Maybe it was then I got the Benrus-just don't remember. Neither was new.

Benrus worked fine and I wore it till I went on R&R to Tokyo. Of course Seikos were the cat's meow and I bought two.

Sent them to my brother to keep for me and he traded them off to some girl for something. I got nothing for them.

I can't recall what happened to the Benrus, but I think I gave it to someone.

I wore the Hamilton till I was coming home and picked up another Seiko somewhere.

Bob

Posts: 1577 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Sent them to my brother to keep for me and he traded them off to some girl for something. I got nothing for them.
A new niece or nephew, maybe?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, not that.

My brother was kinda dumb (he's actually very smart and makes a lot more money now than I ever did) but back then he'd never heard of Seiko (1968) and since I sent them to him, he figured they were cheap junk, so he made a trade.

Bob

Posts: 1577 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post