SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backpackers... step inside.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpackers... step inside. Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
I just got invited on a 2-3 day backpacking trip next month in N. Michigan. As an Eagle Scout and somewhat familiar with the general area I of course said YES!

Most of my gear is surprisingly serviceable. Even my little backpacking tent, that hasn't been up since about 1985, went right up and is in solid shape. Lines & stakes will be replaced as well as a good waterproofing.

My pack, different story. It was a former Eagles and although I'm sure top of the line external frame pack for 1974... its dated. Time for a new pack.

This trip is just a few days, but I tend to use things once I have them so I'll get something decent. Not looking for the $100 pack, or the $1000 pack. I've been sized as a large (6'4) at REI.

I'd like something with a decent amount of room, good ability to attach things to the outside of the pack and have some handy external pockets. An internal hydration bladder would be beneficial.

The Osprey Atmost AG65 caught my attention. Any opinions? Any others I should look at?

I prefer to buy retail, and won't buy from Amazon. I want to see it, try it on, and assure the one I get has been inspected before I leave with it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Look elsewhere other than the chicom stuff at rei.
Take a look at an EXO mountain pack. I have tried many different set up's. The EXO is the best of them all. It is USA made. A great company.

I have the 3500. It is perfect. Can be used as a daily carry unit in many applications. Mine is the green. I cannot speak highly enough of it. It is just quality. That is the best explanation I can give of it. You will never need another unit. That I can guarantee you.

You can call and talk with them. They will get you right pack.

You would not be disappointed. At least check them out.

Guys will recommend Kifaru. I think they are over-rated. I have owned and sold a couple of their units. EXO is way better imho.

EXO are like the Toyota Tundra of packs. No they do not have all the bell's whistles of some of the others. But they are well set up and rock solid. Just like a Tundra pickup. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Osprey generally makes good packs but I’m not sure if they are usa made any longer. To be fair though, I don’t know what packs are usa made these days other than high end hunting packs (kifaru, stone glacier, exo, seek outside, Barney’s).

If you get a chance, maybe take a look at mystery ranch backpacks. Also, I prefer to have extra room and just cinch the pack down when needed. Having a big bag and not needing it is much better than. Reading space and not having it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Look elsewhere other than the chicom stuff at rei.
Take a look at an EXO mountain pack. I have tried many different set up's. The EXO is the best of them all. It is USA made. A great company.

I have the 3500. It is perfect. Can be used as a daily carry unit in many applications. Mine is the green. I cannot speak highly enough of it. It is just quality. That is the best explanation I can give of it. You will never need another unit. That I can guarantee you.

You can call talk with them. They will get you right pack.

You would not be disappointed. At least check them out.

Exo mtn gear packs are great but just like all the other high end usa made packs, they start off at around 600 bucks.

I’d also add that if the guy isn’t planning on hunting than he dosent really need a pack like an exo that is designed and rated for 150lb loads.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rightwire:
Check your private e-mail, please!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Deuter pack. The pack has adjustable shoulder straps (can adjust up or down) and it fits like a dream (I'm about your size too).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Been a long time but the guy that supplies the packs for the BSA for the Boundary waters programs is Granite Gear. Email I have on file is: mike@granitegear.com Two harbors MN.

Not sure what they have for regular backpack but their canoe stuff is excellent and all geared to canoe backpacking.

Call him. I'm sure he can steer you right.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'3 and can vouch for the Atmos you looked at. I'm an ASM for a local troop and that pack is very serviceable. I've been camping in mine for about 3 years now.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would try some on at REI and buy from them unless you want something from one of the small backpacking companies.

I used to like lots of outside pockets but they add weight and for the most part, are not needed.

I like and use the large mesh outside pocket you find on the back of many packs today. Those are great for quickly stuffing a jacket or extra layer as temperatures change. Also great for shoving a wet jacket. I will keep my water filter in there and snacks for easy access.

That and mesh side pocket for water bottles of other things.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Former ASM & WoodBadger here, and I can HIGHLY recommend Osprey! I've got an Aether 85 that's served me VERY Well for several years, and I would never wear another brand for Backpacking. They also have a no nonsense lifetime warranty they call the 'Almighty Guarantee - Any Reason, Any Product, Any Era'.... Osprey will repair any damage or defect to any product, for any reason, free of charge!

I chose my Osprey based on the fit alone, as I wasn't even shopping for a pack when I got it! My brother needed a new pack for some upcoming segments he planned to backpack on the AT and was trying on Gregory Packs at Campmor in NJ. The sales dude looked at me and said I've got THE pack you, and you're gonna really like it! Well, he was right, as it fit me like a glove and I was sold. As soon as I put it on I knew it was the pack for me! Though I tried on several packs after that, I left the store with the Osprey, and I marvel at how well it fits me every time I put it on!

Definitely buy your backpack from a local retailer that will fit a pack for YOU! I assume REI will load the pack with some gear/weight so you can a 'true' sense of the fit & feel. If a 35# loaded pack isn't comfortable in the store, it definitely won't be comfortable after you're several miles from the trailhead. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
EXO mountain pack

I am an Osprey fanboy and totally recommend buying from REI so you can try the pack on.

I am not that tall but long waisted and getting a normal pack to fit well has been a challenge.

Kelty can be ok, I have one of their 50L redwing packs that has lasted year. Padding is now getting a bite thin with weights over 45lb but it is still serviceable.

I have been looking for a new ruck for a different reason, need one in coyote or OCP scorpion. I have always liked the old issue large ruck and have one from BHI in ACP....but it's in ACP Roll Eyes

Found one made by Grey Ghost that looks great at Midway USA at a good price.

Eberlestock looks very good and is adjustable as well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I haven't backpacked in years. However, the best pack you could buy back when I did it was Dana Designs, which is now Mystery Ranch. I'd look very hard at their stuff.

Mountainsmith always made a good pack, as did the in-house LLBean.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Of all the backpacks I’ve owned I’ve probably only really used 3. They all had the same thing in common- light and simple.

Presently my pack of choice 90% of the time is an Osprey 70 Aether Pro.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/p...o-70-AETHRPRO70.html

It’s light, comfortable, tough, and has plenty of straps and basically no gimmicks. It doesn’t have any of the niceties/conveniences a lot of other packs have, but personally I’ve found either I don’t really use them, or they don’t matter, or they aren’t worth the weight.

I’ve used this pack on everything from 7 day camping/climbing trips in the cascades to single overnights locally with my kids. Everything comes off so you can make it super small and expands out to hold everything I’ve ever needed for up to a week. I’ve loaded it (reluctantly) to 65lbs and it’s been comfortable to carry on my 150lbs 5’9 frame.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Dana designs morphed into Mystery Ranch years ago. If you want something made in chyna do go to rei.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I still have 3 Dana packs from the 90s. Terraplane and Astralplane were my go-to packs for long trips. I have used a large Osprey the last few years. Very good pack. Go to REI and take an hour for a very good fitting. Its worth the effort.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have the Atmos 65AG. It has pros and cons. It very well ventilated and has lots a great features. What it doesnt do well is handle heavy loads. Anything approaching 40lbs and the AG system at least for me gets uncomfortable because of how it pushed the load away from your back. Gregory packs have a much better hip belt and lumbar support system for heavy loads. So if you can keep the weight down the AG pack is great. Go to REI and try them out in the store. They employess can size you up and load a pack up with weight and you can literally walk around the store for a good while to try it out.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lot of people have mentioned Dana Designs, for the record, DD was sold to K2 back in the mid-90's. K2 owned a number of brands to include Marmot, which Dana Designs was merged into and has since dissolved as of 2005ish. Dana Gleason resumed contract design work until starting Mystery Ranch in 2000, today they still pump out fine, overbuilt but great backpacks both in Bozeman and the Philippines (Clark AFB Free Trade Zone).

Osprey is the biggest technical backpack brand on the market today. Very comfortable, using their own proprietary fabric, they've been able to maintain a 30% market share of the technical market for at least 10-years now. Most of their packs are made in Vietnam as they were one of the first outdoor brands to escape from China and the infringement issues that we're all too familiar with now. Today, most technical pack brands are made in Vietnam and not China thanks to Osprey. Their Atmos, then Aether pack series are fantastic and any backpacker should seriously consider trying them out.

Other brands to consider, all manufacture internal frames and will need assistance in fitting:
Dueter - Price sensitive brand out of Germany
Gregory - Started by Wayne Gregory in San Diego, was neck-n-neck with Osprey for best tech packs on market up until recently
Kelty - Long time outdoor equipment brand, now more of a price-sensitive brand, known amongst motorcyclists and BOB seekers for their Redwing franchise
Arc'Teryx - Using high-end materials from their climbing harness line, Arc'Teryx backpacks are known for their innovative materials/design and price-tag.
Granite Gear - Small brand out of Minnesota, started out as a boutique brand, dipped their toes into the military world and have maintained a small niche following.
The North Face, Mountain Hardware, Mammut - Big, broad all-everything outdoor brands have backpack models on the market but, are not all that innovative. You MAY find a model that fits and works for your needs.

There's a lot more brands out there on the market, particularly on the specialty side, however those are going to be the most well known and available. Just make sure you get the pack fitted.

Also, since you haven't done this in awhile, invest your money into a solid pair of footwear and a solid sleeping bag, both will help smooth-over and get you out of any bad experiences. Too many people spend big money on all the wrong things.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Give me to the end of the day to find it, but I have a 65-sized pack that I used once (trip to UK and France). With my physical imitations post-C .diff , I'm not backpacking any more.

I'd be happy to let you have it, if it would be useful.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Looks like Gregory just released a new model- the Katmai- and its basically a copy of the Osprey AG system.
https://www.gregorypacks.com/p...-backpacking#start=1

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I like Osprey, though I've had some quality issues with some of their products. For backpacking internal frame packs (large), the Osprey design doesn't fit me, or my family well. I went through 3 with my wife before switching to Gregory. Ended up doing the gregory for my daughter also. I settled on a larger gregory baltoro back in 2011, and I just keep using it. It's held up well hauling moose quarters, bear boxes, and climbing gear.

I recommend checking out Gregory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post