SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backpackers... step inside.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpackers... step inside. Login/Join 
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
If the Osprey fits you, don't look back. Just buy it. I is one of the best rated packs (historically). I've had mine for several years (Atmos 65AG) and also have a slew of other Osprey gear. I've used their no questions asked lifetime guarantee 2x. In both cases they went way beyond to make sure gear was fixed and returned in time to be used on trips.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'5" and have done 3 day trips with my Kelty Redwing 44, but I'm a pretty light packer. I could probably stretch it out to 5-6 days if I needed to. I like the pack...it's lightweight and functional, and has held up well. My brother recently bought the Redwing 50 which offers a little more space at the cost of a little more weight.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have an Osprey Escapist 30 day pack, have had it about 5 years and love it. The pack is lightweight—Osprey doesn’t over-engineer its packs with heavy fabrics and zippers; as long as it’s not used for expeditions, etc., and with their reputation, it should stand up fine.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Im a gear snob and minimalist camper, so a 3 day trip for me could be under 30 lb given appropriate climate.

So, i would intially recommend Kifaru, but you may balk at their prices.

So with that ill recommend Kelty, Osprey and Mystery Ranch. Ive owned them all and they have all stood up to the abuse. I dont baby my stuff because I genuinely want to see if it will fail. Plus Osprey offers a 40% military discount.

If youre dead set on American made and support small business then go buy a Kifaru and own it the rest of your life.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think most of Osprey's stuff is made in Vietnam. But, they have an excellent warranty and their stuff is good

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To add to Ottosig, not only is Kifaru US made and very well made, you send them your dimensions and the pack is tailored to your fit. It is worth the $$.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post