SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elite marathon runners, man, they are FAST!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elite marathon runners, man, they are FAST! Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I have not followed these marathon news for years, since I don't do long distance running anymore. I was just looking at running stuff the other day on YouTube and was shocked that the men's time was approaching 2 hours. The last time I kept up, it was around 2hrs 7min. And now, it's 2:1:39, set in September last year, by Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya. It's only a matter of time before the sub-2hour barrier is broken. And, it looks like Kipchoge is the guy who will do it. Amazing!

https://olympics.nbcsports.com...ub-two-hours-london/
quote:
Kipchoge made an attempt at the Monza motor racing circuit in Italy in May 2017, falling 26 seconds short across 26.2 miles (42.2 kilometers) around an oval track in a time not sanctioned by the IAAF, because of variables such as pacers entering mid-race and drinks being given to runners via mopeds.

In contrast to the men's records being broken several times, the women's record has stood unbroken for 16 years, since April 2003, when Paula Radcliffe of Great Britain set it at 2:15:25, and that is also incredible. Probably more so than the men's times, because it has stood for so long.

Just amazing athletes.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Combine good genetics with modern training methods and it's amazing what our species can accomplish.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do a bit of running as a hobby and we like to follow this kind of racing somewhat. It is remarkable that some of these athletes can run twenty odd miles at such a pace and then turn the last 2-3 miles into a foot race. At present, the Kenyans seem to have the fastest racers (as a group). It is said that they do not do strength training at all, but train on mountain courses. What ever they are doing seems to be working. The 2 hour barrier, once considered unassailable, will likely be broken in the near future.

We trudge on (slowly).

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've ran six marathons in the past(my PR was 3:14, old now),but I've toed the starting line and looked at the runners elite and you can't tell any difference in any way they look. They're just normal looking. I don't know if the news stations does the helicopter fly over views while the elite are running, but notice how fast these dudes cover a block. A total different perspective how amazing these guys are. I still can't figure it out. Anatomically, everything is perfectly right.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
... 2:1:39, set in September last year, by Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya. ...

His splits are mind boggling, 4:38/mile. In my HS prime, at 118, I ran a 4:50 on the track a few times and a 4:20 split in a 3 mile CC race...once, i cannot even grasp what it would take to run that fast for 26 miles!!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
To put this in prespective related to one of my bike rides...

Avg speed - 12.9 mph
Avg pace - 4min 38sec

Max speed - 18.6 mph
Max pace - 3min 16sec

At my average pace, granted pushing a 15moh wind half the way, pedaling in high gear.... He would out run me.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I am in my 60s but still fast enough that I have qualified for, and run the Boston Marathon for the last two years. At Boston this year I qualified for next year.

If I went to the track and ran as fast as I could for any distance, I still couldn't run as fast as these guys do for 26.2 miles.

And it looks like they are just jogging along.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, their speed for that distance (the women as well) boggles my mind. Of course, I was never fast anyway.

Sports have evolved so that we know what body types are best for all of them. Basketball is obvious, tall! The Kenyan runners have small bones (low drag) and legs dis-proportionately long for their height. That said, a 5'10" American can run within a handful of minutes of that record so body type/genetics is still a small role in the overall scheme of things.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google the National Geographic special on Nike's effort to get a group of elite runners to break 2 hours back in 2017. Well worth the time. It's a very scientific effort to optimize athletes and the environment. It took place on an Italian race track with perfect weather conditions, pacers, and multiple coaches along the route. In the end, the lead runner did a 2:00:23. That's one second off pace (per mile) for breaking two hours. The finish time doesn't count toward world records because it was in a controlled environment.

I'm not elite runner and have run a few marathons in my life - the ability to push yourself for so long is incredible. I have three sub-3 marathon finishes on favorable courses. My high school mile was just under 5 minutes. These guys are averaging 4:30ish for 2 hours! Crazy fast.

P229

Posts: 3834 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Crazy fast. Back when I was 17 my best mile time was 4:48 and frankly was proud of that. 5:30 for 3 miles - back when you ran miles and not km Wink.

I was fast but not the best - today the above average good runner does that easily for a marathon! Amazing, still remember my first race and was astonished that started at a sprint.

I don’t run anymore and I’m 50 lbs heavier so never again. These folks have crazy discipline and mindset on top of training and genetics. Really impressive

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
And on a related note:

Never having paid attention to sculling (rowing?), I attended my nephew's junior doubles on the Schuylkill recently. And was amazed that, even with a bicycle, I could not navigate from the starting line to the finish line before that rowed the same 1,500 meters in 5:27. The following day, the Holy Spirit double took the finals @ 4:57.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes absolutely incredible

almost to the level of thinking they may possess a mutated gene or something...

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post