SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember Last Month When Eastern Michigan University Erupted In Protest Over Racist Graffiti? Surprise! It Was A Hoax.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember Last Month When Eastern Michigan University Erupted In Protest Over Racist Graffiti? Surprise! It Was A Hoax. Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Shocking! Roll Eyes

http://www.dailywire.com/news/...campaign=benshapiro#

Remember When Eastern Michigan University Erupted In Protest Over Racist Graffiti? It Was A Hoax.

In September, Eastern Michigan University erupted in protests after racist graffiti — red, white, and blue spray-painted "KKK" and "leave n*****s" — was discovered on school property on three different occasions.

According to university police, the racist incidents appear to have been a hoax, allegedly perpetrated by a 29-year-old black man named Eddie Curlin.

On Monday, Curlin, a former EMU student, was arraigned in Washtenaw County District Court on three counts of malicious destruction of property, four counts of identity theft, and one count of using computers to commit a crime, according to MLive.com.

The first apparently-staged incident was committed at the end of September in the Julia Anne King Hall courtyard. In red, white, and blue colors, "KKK" and "leave n*****s" was spray-painted on a wall.

In October, "leave n*****s" was again found on school property, this time in Ford Hall. The last incident was reportedly found in an EMU men's restroom.

Protests instantly erupted over the incidents, gaining national attention and building a post-Trump racism-in-America narrative.

"We pay for our education just like everyone else, so to see something like that in the morning on our way to class, it’s caused outrage and pain," one student named Janee told BuzzFeed at the time of the incident.

The incidents sparked quick condemnation by EMU administration, too.

"The deeper and systemic issues that are behind these incidents continue to be a focus for our student leaders, our faculty, our administration and all who care about this institution and the welfare of our students," said President James Smith via email in response to the graffiti. "These incidents run counter to the values and mission of the University and our actions over the past several weeks and going forth have and will continue to reflect that."

As reported by The Daily Caller, "EMU even created a website to track updates regarding the vandalism. Those updates included holding a day-long teach-on on racism, diversity, and inclusion; creating the President’s Commission on Diversity and Inclusion; another day-long teach-in called 'Know Justice, Know Peace'; promoting a campus-wide unity rally; providing psychological and counseling services to students affected by the vandalism and more."

The university's police chief claims Curlin's crimes were "not driven by politics" but "self-serving" acts.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is much of a surprise for those who use their brains.

Not driven by politics? I call bullshit on that one.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Well that never happens...

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been managing people for, well, many, many years. Quite literally, I have had ONE incident where an employee used such terminology and/or endorsed KKK, etc. He was terminated so quickly it was shocking. His immediate boss kicked him off his shift.

I just don't believe there are many people left in this country that will even say, let alone tag, racist crap.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The blog Moonbattery maintains a list of hate crime hoaxes. It is notable for its length. I imagine it dwarfs the list of actual hate crimes.

Link to Hate Crime Hoax List

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So will this be printed on the front page of NYT, WaPo, CNN, MSNBHee-Haw, ABC, CBS, NBC, and every other lib rag media outlet in the country? Didn't think so...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The damage is done regardless of the truth. Those predetermined to be outraged and offended will likely not be exposed to the truth or if they are, will not release the bias these events have created in them. It will still be Trump's fault, YTs fault, Republicans' fault etc. They are all NAZIs/KKK/White Nationalists/Capitalist Pigs. They may not have done this, but you know they want to. For some people, a little information goes a long way......especially if that info is a lie and supports their bias.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
The blog Moonbattery maintains a list of hate crime hoaxes. It is notable for its length. I imagine it dwarfs the list of actual hate crimes.

Link to Hate Crime Hoax List

That's a nice list. I often thought it would great to maintain something like that!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Hoax doesn't feel like the right word to me. Domestic Terrorism is probably a bit too strong of a description, but hoax is too light.

It's somewhere in between.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Divide and conquer is a tactic. The lack of true history teaching to the young makes them stupid to these tactics. Easier to lead them ...

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
In this day & age, the rule-of-thumb is, it's a hoax until proven otherwise.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Hoax doesn't feel like the right word to me. Domestic Terrorism is probably a bit too strong of a description, but hoax is too light.

It's somewhere in between.

You make sense. It was more than a mean joke, it is almost certain his intent was to stir up stink.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Funny, this was reported on local news last night, but they totally failed to mention that the suspect was black. Only that the person responsible for the racist messages was charged but already in custody.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38203 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Funny, this was reported on local news last night, but they totally failed to mention that the suspect was black. Only that the person responsible for the racist messages was charged but already in custody.

I noticed on the local metro Detroit news only Channel 2 showed the guys face, but refused to state his race. Channel 4 didn't show his face, or any mention of race, really skipped over it (devin scillion), and nothing on channel 7.

Damned evil empire twisting the truth, spinning lies, and spreading propaganda is now our own. The Russians must be in tears from laughing so hard.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

I noticed on the local metro Detroit news only Channel 2 showed the guys face, but refused to state his race. Channel 4 didn't show his face, or any mention of race, really skipped over it (devin scillion), and nothing on channel 7.

Damned evil empire twisting the truth, spinning lies, and spreading propaganda is now our own. The Russians must be in tears from laughing so hard.

Goebbels lives. If you tell a lie big enough and often enough, the people will believe it. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The damage is done regardless of the truth. Those predetermined to be outraged and offended will likely not be exposed to the truth or if they are, will not release the bias these events have created in them. It will still be Trump's fault, YTs fault, Republicans' fault etc. They are all NAZIs/KKK/White Nationalists/Capitalist Pigs. They may not have done this, but you know they want to. For some people, a little information goes a long way......especially if that info is a lie and supports their bias.

Yeah, it's like dan rather's Texas National Guard story in 2000 - "The evidence we showed was total garbage, but we still stand by the claims.". . Facts and evidence don't matter to the leftists; it's the 'narrative.' Anything that fits, or can be manipulated to fit, the narrative is accepted as gospel truth. When the 'evidence' is proven to be fabricated or otherwise bogus, they never go back and revise their positions.

This stuff is SO common, that the VERY FIRST thought I have when these stories crop up is that it was perpetrated by the very minority that was supposedly 'targeted.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
They more often than not do not mention race of the defendant in the metro area whether it be on the radio, tv or print media.

We cannot put people in a bad light you know. Wink

But again if you know what area the crime occurred in you can just about guess.

The one that gets me, they will give a description of gender, age, weight, type of clothing and that's all. Should be easy to find the perp with that information.........NOT!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Well color me shocked!! Roll Eyes

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I wonder the demographics of the attendees required to participate in the forum titled "Why Vandalism and Crime on the Campus is Wrong" will be?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...michigan-university/

“The suspect, identified as Eddie Curlin, is a former student at Eastern who attended from 2014 to early 2016,” the school’s statement read. “He is currently in custody of the Michigan Department of Corrections serving a one-to-five year sentence on an unrelated charge of receiving and concealing stolen property.”

Naturally, the university launched a series of programs assuming that the perpetrator of the incidents was a white racist. The events included a day-long “teach-in” on racism and diversity, as well as vigils to show support for minority students and other events.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post