SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is US-style bacon eaten elsewhere in the world?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is US-style bacon eaten elsewhere in the world? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve made bacon at home a few times. I am also on a bacon making Facebook page. Members on that page are from all over the world. I can say that homemade bacon is a bit different in texture and crispness than store bought. When I cold smoke it the texture is more like store bought. Hot smoked bacon usually doesn’t get quite as crisp without burning.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12443 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the UK version, but in Australia we had a variety all the time with BBQ sauce.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/e...duct/bacon-roll.html

Posts: 1755 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Australia for ~14 years, bacon about the same. Jamaica for 4 and had bacon. Mainly it is how crisp you want it.I like mine soft. Wife prefers crisp to burnt.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
No bacon in Israel I know for a fact.

Right off of Ben Yahuda street in Jerusalem there is a small butcher shop across from the Dublin pub. Bacon hangs in the window daily.

I have spent a lot of time there and throughout the country for my job and I can tell you with absolute certainty it can be found.

There is a small pizzeria (Israeli owner) in Hod Hasharon that makes a great meat lovers pizza covered with fresh bacon. It was comfort food for me on long trips. I even ate at McDonald’s in Jerusalem on longer trips for the comfort food factor, however there was no bacon on their menu.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not everyone who lives in Israel is a Jew or Muslim. Most ore one or the other, of course, but there are others who don't eschew pork.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make my own, you can buy halfway decent bacon here but it‘s not quite the same.

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Here in UK we have every kind of bacon that YOU do, AND smoked. Funny enough, we call it 'smokey bacon' - now there's a thing, eh?

We also have venison bacon, and beef bacon in certain places where they also sell chocolate covered celery sticks, spray-on gravy and bottled fried eggs.

Posts: 11333 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Here in UK we have every kind of bacon that YOU do, AND smoked. Funny enough, we call it 'smokey bacon' - now there's a thing, eh?..{snipped}...

I miss the English bacon with the rind on. In my opinion that is the best, especially cooked on a BBQ grill. you get the loin, the streaky bit and a bit of cracklin all in one piece. I think that would convert a lot of us who would dismiss "foreign" bacon.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
We also have venison bacon, and beef bacon in certain places where they also sell chocolate covered celery sticks, spray-on gravy and bottled fried eggs.

Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8985 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
We also have...bottled fried eggs.

What is a bottle fried egg?

I recall that the breakfasts I had in England were delicious, including whatever variety of bacon was served.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had it several times in Iceland last summer.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5165 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that it isn't easy to find crispy bacon outside the US except hotels that really understand American tastes. It's usually soggy and fatty and undercooked. And if it's a buffet it's often placed on top of sliced bread.

And don't get me started about getting eggs fully cooked. Omelettes are supposed to be flipped and cooked on the other side before the fill/fold. Invariably, they aren't flipped and still undercooked inside.

Last week I was in Brazil and they did have thick crispy bacon in kind of curled half-size strips.

UK breakfast is not my favorite - baked beans, blood pudding, and rasher bacon. What is this, an 18th century prison?

But if you want a fried egg anytime of the day, just order a caesar salad. WTF?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
We also have...bottled fried eggs.

What is a bottle fried egg?

I recall that the breakfasts I had in England were delicious, including whatever variety of bacon was served.

Plainly, it is a fried egg in a bottle, in different grades, like easy, over-easy, over-hard, and so on. Not all grades in the same bottle, obviously. Wink

Posts: 11333 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:UK breakfast is not my favorite - basked beans, blood pudding, and rasher bacon.

I'll b e honest and admit that I've no idea what you are talking about here. Never heard of a basked bean. Baked beans, maybe?

The so-called 'full-English breakfast' usually eaten at truck stops and in certain B&Bs. might consist of -

1. A couple of fried eggs to taste - often local.

2. One or two PORK sausages - often local.

3. A couple of rashers of the local bacon.

4. Mushrooms.

5. Fried tomatoes.

6. Coupla slices of toast of choice.

7. Baked beans [here in UK they come in spicy tomato sauce].

8. AND, depending on where you are, what is called here as BLACK puddn'. White puddn' is rarer, but they are both what you call blood sausage - here in UK they are not, trhey are called puddn.

However, very few people of my acquaintance eat like this - the so-called 'heart attack on a plate'.

Certainly not in Scotland, where they eat a lot of the vernacular food like porridge, oat cakes, shite like that.

In Ireland they often add to what they call an 'Ulster fry' anything that will find in a fry pan without falling out over the edges, great lumps of soda bread or 'farls', and most visiting Americans I've spoken to who have been there couldn't finish what was in front of them.

Me, I have an omelette most days from our local egg works - 240,000 open-cast chickens...and as we live out in the rurals, we can get most everything from our local farmers, and do so.

No fish though. We are inland somewhat.

posted Hide Post
quote:
However, very few people of my acquaintance eat like this - the so-called 'heart attack on a plate'.

Was going to say, I think more Full English's or, Fry's are consumed by intrigued tourists than locals.

It is tasty especially after a heavy night of drinking but, it's quite a bit and you better work it off during the day.

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post