SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheriff: Man attacks 2 people with machete on Appalachian Trail; 1 dead
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheriff: Man attacks 2 people with machete on Appalachian Trail; 1 dead Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
My wife always makes a comment to me "why do you need that gun with you when we are out in the woods?".... this is why-

https://www.wsmv.com/news/us_w...3b-be7fd5bdc075.html

Posts: 3551 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We had a nut around here a few years ago that kidnaped and killed a girl on a day hike on the AT and I've seen a few sketchy folks there myself.
I would bet there's a number of lesser crimes that you never hear about there so being prepared isn't a bad idea at all.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do volunteer work with the National Park Service. Criminals and others enjoy the outdoors as well. Altercations are not uncommon, although murders are infrequent. The Park Rangers do a variety of things. Law enforcement is one of them.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don’t suppose there’s a possibility that he was using drugs out in nature again (after having a recent brush with the law because of that).

It would be interesting to know what the drugs were. Probably not a hallucinogenic mushroom.

Wink

Posts: 26950 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Those trails attract all types, some that are intentionally avoiding the law for one reason or another.

Apart from the trails, even the national forests are being utilized by criminals for drug grows/labs/operations.

This article describes some of these activities in Colorado from a couple years ago. I bet it's worse now...

https://gazette.com/crime/acre...5e-6620099c7476.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Would have been good if they had actually put him in jail after the first time, or at least the second.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I was being stalked/ pursued while hiking on a very remote trail. I let the gentlemen know I was carrying a 44 magnum. They ran away.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Former park ranger, current trainer of park rangers.

The Appalachian Trail in particular seems to draw a subculture of marginal personalities... some hiking the trail, some predating on hikers on the trail. Dirty little secret that few seem to want to publicize, but there are a LOT of disappearances on the trail... beyond the many known/reported assaults, rapes, thefts.

I do not hike unarmed. Ever. Ever, ever, ever.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
The Appalachian Trail in particular seems to draw a subculture of marginal personalities...

Closer proximity to urban areas than similar trails? More users?
Any ideas?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47419 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
The Appalachian Trail in particular seems to draw a subculture of marginal personalities...

Closer proximity to urban areas than similar trails? More users?
Any ideas?

You can stay "mobile" for a long time on the AT if you're essentially a drifter or predator. Long trail, a few hundred "official" trail shelters along the way and lots more campgrounds very close by the trail in state & local parks, added to lots of hostels and low-cost hotels catering to through-hikers on or nearby the trail. It's not difficult to never stay anywhere for more than a night or two, which makes it VERY easy to stay off the radar. If you're a fit-enough psychopath/sociopath to keep hiking, you can work the trail pretty much forever.

If LE wants to investigate a disappearance, the first thing they need to know is that there's BEEN a disappearance. The dynamic for this has changed a little bit with near-free and near-seamless cell coverage everywhere, but think back 10-20 years and it wasn't at all unusual that somebody hiking a long trail like the Appalachian or in a forest/park backcountry wouldn't be in touch with family for weeks, if at all, beyond an occasional postcard from a trail crossing through town. Under those circumstances, it was always WAY difficult to establish where the disappearance occurred as a starting point, much less the circumstances. NPS and trail advocates tout the "safety record," largely by glossing over disappearances that can't be strictly tied to a particular area of the trail (or to the trail at all) in the old days.

For prey, the AT has historically attracted lots of people of both sexes and all ability levels who were looking to prove that THEY could do it independently (and the system of trail shelters, caches, etc, helped bolster that myth) when they might not have been particularly well-equipped to do so. Weakened, confused, alone victims are good victims.

Doing cop work in an environment where most of your criminals AND most of your victims are completely transient (in the "in transit" sense, e.g. not rooted to the locality) can seriously stack the deck against you. Criminals know this. There isn't a single crime I've worked in more urban LE that I didn't also see in natural resources LE roles. Beyond the violent crimes, thefts of every variety were rampant also. I've investigated thefts where families literally lost everything beyond what was actually in their shorts & shirts, food & water stolen from backcountry campers, "straight out of a bad Western" campsite thefts, etc.

I would not let anyone I cared about attempt the trail without serious discussions about safety, group size & composition, contingency plans, and "equipment."

posted Hide Post
Have the names of the victims been released? The sites I've checked did not specify.

Posts: 589 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question for DennisM:
I read a while back that assaults on Ranger LEOs are drastically higher now than in the past.
True?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Question for DennisM:
I read a while back that assaults on Ranger LEOs are drastically higher now than in the past.
True?

The raw numbers always looked low because of the proportionally small number of rangers as a segment of the LE community. Scaled, the rate has never been much "off" the larger population. It HAS gone up lately, either in fact or because of more honest reporting. Rangers were over-represented among LEOs killed in the past few years, but again the "spike" is more obvious because of the small universe of rangers.

In the Fed world, the "leaders of the pack" in assaults have traditionally been correctional officers (BOP and BIA), Border Patrol, and Natural Resources agencies, the rankings usually juggled around from year to year.

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I usually carry my 10mm when on trails — his machete would have quickly met its match had I been around.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I usually carry my 10mm when on trails — his machete would have quickly met its match had I been around.

Problem with carrying legally on the A.T. is that it runs through 14 states, some with ridiculous laws and no reciprocity, and through Fed lands with nuanced carry regulations (example: NPS now allows concealed carry if you have a permit valid in that state, USFS has generally not cared one way or another.) I suspect the number who'd be inclined to consider it to begin with would be small, and of that group the number who could pull it off legally would be even smaller (cough LEOSA cough.)

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
You always, always, always carry on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. Most people you meet on the Trail are fine. But there are quite a few hippie, homeless, mentally ill who live on it who exercise their [sometimes violent] weirdness to anyone they pass. This isn't the first murder on the Trail in Virginia.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Gun boards, this one included, are full of threads about "What gun should I carry for animal defense?" When I contribute to one, I answer along the lines of, "Whatever will stop a man, that's what you need to worry about the most" or "The most dangerous creatures in the forest walk on two legs."

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
We are on the AT to walk the dogs often (10-minutes away)................see lots of people - most pleasant.....some not.

I always carry on there............and everywhere.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Wholeheartedly Agree
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
You always, always, always carry on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. Most people you meet on the Trail are fine. But there are quite a few hippie, homeless, mentally ill who live on it who exercise their [sometimes violent] weirdness to anyone they pass. This isn't the first murder on the Trail in Virginia.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to live less than a mile from the AT in western NC, and crime was there even then.

I never leave my home w/o a pistol, neither should you.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post