SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheriff: Man attacks 2 people with machete on Appalachian Trail; 1 dead
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheriff: Man attacks 2 people with machete on Appalachian Trail; 1 dead Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
My wife always makes a comment to me "why do you need that gun with you when we are out in the woods?".... this is why-
Ah, because the cops are even FURTHER away then when we are at home / in town...?

Next stupid question! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The perpetrator will not go to trial. His not guilty by reason of insanity plea was accepted and he will be committed to a psychiatric hospital. We used to live a couple miles from the Trail.

https://wcyb.com/news/local/pr...rRZTCyWhnnyq8viVCNMI

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I never leave my home w/o a pistol, neither should you.
This deserves a repeat. Always have a gun in your waistband in the world we live in today.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
The Appalachian Trail in particular seems to draw a subculture of marginal personalities...

Closer proximity to urban areas than similar trails? More users?
Any ideas?

You can stay "mobile" for a long time on the AT if you're essentially a drifter or predator. Long trail, a few hundred "official" trail shelters along the way and lots more campgrounds very close by the trail in state & local parks, added to lots of hostels and low-cost hotels catering to through-hikers on or nearby the trail. It's not difficult to never stay anywhere for more than a night or two, which makes it VERY easy to stay off the radar. If you're a fit-enough psychopath/sociopath to keep hiking, you can work the trail pretty much forever.

If LE wants to investigate a disappearance, the first thing they need to know is that there's BEEN a disappearance. The dynamic for this has changed a little bit with near-free and near-seamless cell coverage everywhere, but think back 10-20 years and it wasn't at all unusual that somebody hiking a long trail like the Appalachian or in a forest/park backcountry wouldn't be in touch with family for weeks, if at all, beyond an occasional postcard from a trail crossing through town. Under those circumstances, it was always WAY difficult to establish where the disappearance occurred as a starting point, much less the circumstances. NPS and trail advocates tout the "safety record," largely by glossing over disappearances that can't be strictly tied to a particular area of the trail (or to the trail at all) in the old days.

For prey, the AT has historically attracted lots of people of both sexes and all ability levels who were looking to prove that THEY could do it independently (and the system of trail shelters, caches, etc, helped bolster that myth) when they might not have been particularly well-equipped to do so. Weakened, confused, alone victims are good victims.

Doing cop work in an environment where most of your criminals AND most of your victims are completely transient (in the "in transit" sense, e.g. not rooted to the locality) can seriously stack the deck against you. Criminals know this. There isn't a single crime I've worked in more urban LE that I didn't also see in natural resources LE roles. Beyond the violent crimes, thefts of every variety were rampant also. I've investigated thefts where families literally lost everything beyond what was actually in their shorts & shirts, food & water stolen from backcountry campers, "straight out of a bad Western" campsite thefts, etc.

I would not let anyone I cared about attempt the trail without serious discussions about safety, group size & composition, contingency plans, and "equipment."

Dennis, are you willing to explain a good set up for doing the trail?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question for Dennis M. I was a very close friend of NPS Ranger Kris Eggle, who was a Law Enforcement ranger, who was killed on the job, by Mexican drug cartel members in a National Park which lies on the US-Mexican border in Arizona. Since you are a NPS Law Enforcement Ranger, did you know Kris Eggle?
Kris was a very good friend and college teammate of mine at the Univ of Michigan. Thank you, Dennis.
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have section hiked around 80% of the AT.

Although most thru hikers are decent folk, there is no shortage of dirtbags, thieves and malcontents on these trails as well.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Spent a lot of time on 'trails' as part of my job (back country guard, trail crew, fires etc.). First and foremost, know that trails are the avenues for "urban" folks of every persuasion both 'good' and 'bad'. Bear spray is not just for bears, hiking staffs should be 'durable' (think quarter stave per Friar Tuck). A cane can be more than just a 'cane'. Safety and self-preservation is the name of the game regardless of location!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A number of incidents have happened along the AT. Several murders, assaults, and stalkings over the years. And several serious criminals have been apprehended on or near that were traveling it. Another dirty little secret the NPS doesn't publicize.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post