SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    God help them in Lake Charles.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

God help them in Lake Charles. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
Good luck to anyone in southwest Louisiana.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presently just a few miles per hour shy of a Cat 5, and already stronger than Katrina. The weather service warned that 30 miles in, the surge will be unsurviveable. We shall see.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Next few hours will be telling.

It does look ugly. I hope many headed inland.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for S/E Texas and S/W Louisiana. Glad it missed my kid in NOLA.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Grew up in SoFla from David, Andrew, etc. watching this blow up is uncomfortable...prayers for the folks in LA and TX

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mississippi has reversed direction

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I'm in the Baton Rouge area and we have been praying for out people the the southwest

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin and his family in SW Arkansas. Will be praying for them, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://hint.fm/wind/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My home town.

The eye passed directly over Lake Charles, so they got hit with hurricane force winds from all directions. My closest friend lives there. I just got a text back from him that he drove his mother-in-law to Shreveport (the most northern part of the state) and his wife is "locked in the hospital" where she works (St. Patrick's). He said he has everything boarded, bagged and tied down in his house and told me to hope for the best, which is an unusual thing for him to say, and this indicates the anxiety he must be feeling, not knowing the current condition of his home.

Lake Charles is 35 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Last night, they were forecasting a storm surge of 10 to 20 feet as far as 30 miles inland, so you can see the precarious circumstances the people in that city found themselves. As best as I can tell, LC did not experience such a storm surge. If they'd had a 20 foot storm surge, there wouldn't have been a home in the entire area left unaffected. Southwest Louisiana is perfectly flat terrain, not a natural hill to be found anywhere.

Chosen at random from youtube. Looks like it could have been much worse, although it's certainly bad enough:

I know a thing or two about such storms, although when I was growing up in LC, we had no idea we were in a decades-long meteorological dormant period.

Here's yours truly near the lake beach in 1982, getting my gear ready to video storm effects. IIRC, this was a tropical storm.

Working for KPLC, the local NBC affiliate.

Posts: 107626 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've been here a while and don't think I've ever seen a pic of Para before. You look a bit like my cousin.

God bless those in the path of this storm.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My home town.

The eye passed directly over Lake Charles, so they got hit with hurricane force winds from all directions. My closest friend live there. I just got a text back from him that he drove his moth-in-law to Shreveport (the most northern part of the state) and his wife is "locked in the hospital" where she works (St. Patrick's). He said he has everything board, bagged and tied down in his house and told me to hope for the best, which is an unusual thing for him to say, and this indicates the anxiety he must be feeling, not knowing the current condition of his home.

Lake Charles is 35 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Last night, they were forecasting a storm surge of 10 to 20 feet as far as 30 miles inland, so you can see the precarious circumstances the people in that city found themselves. As best as I can tell, LC did not experience such a storm surge. If they'd had a 20 foot storm surge, there wouldn't have been a home in the entire area left unaffected. Southwest Louisiana is perfectly flat terrain, not a natural hill to be found anywhere.

Chosen at random from youtube. Looks like it could have been much worse, although it's certainly bad enough:

I know a thing or two about such storms, although when I was growing up in LC, we had no idea we were in a decades-long meteorological dormant period.

Here's yours tuly near the lake beach in 1982, getting my gear ready to video storm effects. IIRC, this was a tropical storm.

Working for KPLC, the local NBC affiliate.

I never would have guessed that, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like the old Calcasieu-Marine building downtown, although they call it something else now, I think. I remember when they built it. I was working for the Lake Charles American Press as a photographer at the time. The American Press used to have their offices and presses downtown and you could hear the sound of them driving the pilings into the ground for this structure, for miles. This is just off the lake.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
A bunch of buildings in downtown Houston looked like that after one of the recent hurricanes (Can't remember which - they all kind of blend together). Even on a normal windy day, the wind getting forced around/between the tall buildings can speed it up a lot (and, of course, being up above the trees and little buildings means fewer obstacles to slow it down).

I can't imagine a 20 foot storm surge. My family has had a house in Surfside Beach, TX, since the 40s which has taken a bunch of direct hits from big storms over the years. There was one in the 60s (Carla, I think? I wasn't born yet) that pretty much flattened the town, only a few houses (including ours) were left. I don't think the surge could have been anywhere near 20 feet or there wouldn't have been anything left, and Surfside is right on the beach.

A surge that size dozens of miles inland would be utterly catastrophic.

Instead of the more typical dimensioned lumber piers for elevated beach houses, ours was built on creosote telephone poles and the roof was hugely overbuilt and tied down with steel cables running to big buried cable anchors in the yard.

In the storm in the 60s that flattened the town, the surge tore the floorboards off the joists on the main (second) floor and knocked some of the walls out.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is Carlyss, a few miles to the west of Lake Charles. Being in a storm like this makes you realize just how insignificant you are, when God sweeps his hand across you.

The Calcasieu-Marine again. This is right on the lake, so there is no windbreak for this building. Looks like it took the full force of the storm.

posted Hide Post
Saturday is the 15th anniversary of Katrina hitting the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The scars are still here, both in the people and the landscape. Prior to Laura we sent relief teams to Baton Rouge to go into Lake Charles once the storm has subsided. We had help from New York state and Church volunteers from all over come to our area and help out. It helped restore my faith in others. I am sure that the people in Lake Charles will get lots of help.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my customers and friends lives in LA and has a few properties there. Even before the hurricane arrived, his camp got flooded on the lake. I hope all is well for him and all of the people that live there. It's a lot of devastation and (from experience) REALLY hard to go through the aftermath that a hurricane that just hit, brings. Even if your house is liveable, not having electric for weeks, food, devastation all around you is really tough on you (emotionally).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Para, I don't think I ever knew you were from Lake Charles. My parents both graduated from Westlake HS and went to McNeese. Growing up I had one set of grandparents still in Westlake and the other in Oak Park, just down the street from Memorial Hospital (where I was born).
My grandmother owned and ran Calcasieu Trophies on Kirkman Street in the 70's amd 80's. I spent most of my summers and lots of weekends in Lake Charles. Lots f days on Lake Calc fishing with my grandfather. It was like a second home town for me.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
My grandmother owned and ran Calcasieu Trophies on Kirkman Street in the 70's amd 80's.
Corner of Kirkman and 13th Street? Stucco exterior? Used to be a coin shop in the 1960s?

This place?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
My grandmother owned and ran Calcasieu Trophies on Kirkman Street in the 70's amd 80's.
Corner of Kirkman and 13th Street? Stucco exterior? Used to be a coin shop in the 1960s?

I think it was closer to the cross streets of Gulf and Craft, about 4 or 5 blocks from 13th. Not sure about the coin shop history. I was a kid in the late 70's and spent a lot of time in her shop "helping", lol. Looks like the folks she sold it to still run it today.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post