SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mike Tyson making boxing comeback to fight Roy Jones Jr.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Tyson making boxing comeback to fight Roy Jones Jr. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[quote]I think that if Cus had the foresight to get the young Mike, I think Cus took him in at 13-14 years old IIRC, a regular psychologist, and got him into group or one on one, to deal with his childhood.
^^^
Perhaps. When you get kids at 13 or 14 it is nearly impossible to change their personality. You have a chance if you have 24 hour control like in a Boarding school. Even then, with his background much change is unlikely. Even though Boys Town was a great program in its day, they really do not have many success stories with kids like Mike. This is not to diminish his skill in the ring.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Mike is debt with the IRS.

Na... he probably paid that off with all that shark week stuff... Did you see the one where he said "Someone is gonna get bit"? First time I saw it I thought oh no you didn't! It's at the very end.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/EvpMMZ3NbBU

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I think he's the greatest boxer I have ever seen.

He's just fucked up mentally from childhood and living in a brothel or around prostitutes.

Completely agree, I was a HUGE fight fan back in the 80's and 90's.
I watched everything and saw him come up early.
In his prime he may have been the most devastating fighter ever, and could be the GOAT but he went down fast after Cus due to the lack of mental discipline.

Not to sound cornball, but the electricity in those arenas, in Mike's prime was something I have never seen since. Round 1 bell goes off and it's hell on Earth. Remember what they'd say back then? The celebrities and wealthy would be getting drinks, come back to their front or second row seats and be irate, the fight was over, you missed it. It went halfway into the first round and it was over, KO. Those were the days. What has it been in these past 20 years? Floyd dancing around the ring like a bitch hiding, playing the points. Mike was the polar opposite of that. Oh well Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It's supposed to be on Pay Per View. I just wonder how many are going to pay to see it.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Jones has had a glass chin since losing to Tarver in 2004. Ronda Rousey would have a puncher's chance against Jones. This fight is a joke.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's an 'exhibition'. No punches will be thrown with bad intentions. Mike thrived in a weak heavyweight division and was neutered by Buster Douglas.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I see people making fun of Tyson's age but I saw a quick training video of him and he is still fast and powerful. If he's maintained his stamina it'll be a good show.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exhibition maybe. However, when you have trained your entire life to punch someone's lights out, it is pretty difficult to just play patty cake. When these guys spar with others they may wear headgear but they are not playing.

If it were Andy Kaufmann vs. Tyson it would be a different matter.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post