SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mike Tyson making boxing comeback to fight Roy Jones Jr.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Tyson making boxing comeback to fight Roy Jones Jr. Login/Join 
posted
I am not sure what to expect here. Both were outstanding in their prime. Roy did well as a junior middleweight, but went downhill after moving up in weightclass. He fought locally a number of times and I remember his gold Rolls Royce that changed color when exposed to the sun. Boxers seem to not know when to quit. Here is the story and the link:

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson will return to the ring to face Roy Jones Jr. on Sept. 12.

The eight-round exhibition match will take place at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California, Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday.

This will be the first match for Tyson since June 2005 when he lost to Kevin McBride. Tyson is 54 years old, and Jones is 51.

Tyson had recently released training videos on social media, hinting at a comeback.

Andy Foster, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, confirmed to Yahoo Sports that he expects YouTube star Jake Paul to fight ex-NBA player Nate Robinson on the undercard.

After news of the fight broke, Tyson posted an Instagram video announcing the formation of the Legends Only League, which will include athletes from a number of sports.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/news/mike-ty...jones-jr-on-sept-12/

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The eight-round exhibition match will take place at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California

That's ironic considering neither guy is likely to come out of this fight with either his dignity or health intact.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case you did not know Roy has lots of plans:
Putin is reported to have told Jones that citizenship was possible if he intended to live in Russia much of the time. Jones answered that he hoped sport could help "build a bridge" between the US and Russia.

Jones also said that he hoped to speedily learn the Russian language, develop his rap career, and also to "earn two or three billion dollars," opening boxing schools in Russia.

You just cannot make this stuff up. Roy holds dual citizenship. Just twenty years ago he was living in a rural area near Pensacola and selling roosters for cockfighting.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
My younger son was telling me about this earlier this evening. He also mentioned the Legends League. I told him I'd be interested if a few more former boxers like George Foreman also took part. You know, real legends (meaning guys in their 60's and 70's). Red Face

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Mike is debt with the IRS. He’s been making payments, living in a normal type house we’d live in with his lady. I’m pretty sure after his one man show tour (excellent) he was actually still in debt. This is to get him out of debt. That’s really all it is.

Roy has a gig commentating at the fights so don’t know about his motivation as he has a good job with Showtime I believe (maybe it’s HBO).

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow, this should be interesting. Should be fun to watch the highlight reel.

Is Freddie Roach training Tyson again? That would be legendary. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hopefully his opponent wears ear protection

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Hopefully his opponent wears ear protection

As long as he doesn't keep head butting him, it shouldn't be too much of an issue Razz

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it really count if Tyson bites off his opponents ears, using dentures? Seems like cheating.

What if their wheelchairs get locked? How will the referee separate them?

How will they protect everyone else in the nursing home?

I say more power to him. I imagine that brain damage occurring at 50 is more likely and worse, with a much longer recover time, than when younger.

I'm also quite certain that I wouldn't fare well getting socked by Tyson or his opponent at any age; at his wost, whenever that might be, he's probably still a hell of a lot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
After seeing a few recent vids if Tyson training, I suspect the fight won’t last 8 rounds. For 54, his hand speed, bob-and-weave, and power was pretty impressive. He may have lost the full benefit of youth, but he’s still a beast.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
After seeing a few recent vids if Tyson training, I suspect the fight won’t last 8 rounds. For 54, his hand speed, bob-and-weave, and power was pretty impressive. He may have lost the full benefit of youth, but he’s still a beast.

I thought the same. He's a frightening beast. No way I'd step in the ring with him.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

I thought the same. He's a frightening beast. No way I'd step in the ring with him.

Yep. It's a moot conversation, but I'm pretty sure in 20 years Tyson would still be able to kick my ass in my prime. I've never been a boxing fan, but his highlight reel is fun to watch. He just flat overwhelmed most of the people that stepped into the ring with him, and they went down not knowing what really happened to them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
"Everyone has a plan until they get hit." By far, the smartest thing Tyson ever said.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Mike is debt with the IRS. He’s been making payments, living in a normal type house we’d live in with his lady. I’m pretty sure after his one man show tour (excellent) he was actually still in debt. This is to get him out of debt. That’s really all it is.

Roy has a gig commentating at the fights so don’t know about his motivation as he has a good job with Showtime I believe (maybe it’s HBO).

That’s just not true. He definitely blew through hundreds of millions but he’s now a pretty successful businessman who has a comfortable life.

This fight is to capitalize on his name and launch his newest business venture, that’s all it is.

It’s not a comeback it’s an exhibition.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on boxing, but grew up watching Tyson in his prime. As we all know...he was absolute devastating. Still remember when he lost to Buster Douglas. Put it *almost* as unbelievable as Dan Gable's loss to Larry Owings.

Roy may well have been one of the most naturally gifted/talented all-around boxers ever.

But at their ages...unless this is an exhibition match and they 'hold back' and mostly put on a demo show...probably not a good idea for either of them. This isn't a 'Rocky' movie.

$.02 worth.

ETA - In the immortal words of LL Cool J - 'Don't call it come back - I been here for years!'

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

He's a frightening beast. No way I'd step in the ring with him.
Meh. He is a has-been. I could probably kick his ass. Wait, why does everybody have wings and a harp?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30672 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I watched every fight, almost every one of them live and studied boxing for many years. Cus was old school so this would have never ever happened. In the main sport I watch they have sports psychologists these days, and they are greatly beneficial. I'm not saying that. I think that if Cus had the foresight to get the young Mike, I think Cus took him in at 13-14 years old IIRC, a regular psychologist, and got him into group or one on one, to deal with his childhood, then Mike would have been the undisputed GOAT heavyweight AND the best pound for pound boxer of all time. He'd pull those gloves in as hard as he could so his knuckle would be at the razor's edge of legal. He also trained like Bruce Lee, to not punch your opponent, but to punch through them with the target being the back of their head, not the front. Mike's opponents, many of them, said his punches felt like bricks and no other fight they fought was even remotely close. And his hand speed was ridiculous. I think he's the greatest boxer I have ever seen. He's just fucked up mentally from childhood and living in a brothel or around prostitutes.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I think he's the greatest boxer I have ever seen.

He's just fucked up mentally from childhood and living in a brothel or around prostitutes.

Completely agree, I was a HUGE fight fan back in the 80's and 90's.
I watched everything and saw him come up early.
In his prime he may have been the most devastating fighter ever, and could be the GOAT but he went down fast after Cus due to the lack of mental discipline.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I had Buster Douglas pass me in his 911 roadster in Columbus circa 1990. He filled that car up. Man he is a big man.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Obligatory Knock Out highlights:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOHvMqAgcmc

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post