SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    McLaughlin Group to return in 2018
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McLaughlin Group to return in 2018 Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
hope it is the original line up, with Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham...

Kidding. The original TV John McLaughlin died last August.

But they are resurrecting the show...
http://thehill.com/homenews/me...up-to-return-in-2018

In 1985, three years after the show's launch, President Reagan jokingly roasted "The McLaughlin Group" at a Ritz-Carlton reception, saying, "In America's diet of political commentary, its intellectual nutritional values fall somewhere between potato chips and Twinkies."

"John McLaughlin, Mr. T of TV journalism," Reagan ribbed as McLaughlin laughed along. "I once described John by saying the United States needs a tax increase like John McLaughlin needs assertiveness training. John took a simple Sunday morning discussion format out of the issues of our day and, using the insight, skill and great humility that have become his trademarks, managed to turn it into a political version of 'Animal House.' "

"Thank you for making that half hour every weekend something very special to look forward to," the president concluded, chuckling. "I wouldn't miss it. I can't afford to."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WRONG!!

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to watch every week before Sunday dinner at my grandparents house. Won't be the same without the McLaughlin laying down the law.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I watched the show just about every week for 30 years. I cannot tolerate Eleanor Clift .

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Truth be told I prefer(ed) the musical John McLaughlin. Cool

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All they will do is bash Trump. That’s the sole reason it’s being resurrected.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I liked watching that show.

I also enjoyed Dana Carvey's parody of it on SNL.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
I liked watching that show.

I also enjoyed Dana Carvey's parody of it on SNL.

Yep

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koFlWXgX52E

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
McLaughlin Group to return in 2018

From the dead... ? Eek
Jack Germond too?!?

Why I'm "Mortified"!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Also great from SNL was Phil Hartmann leading The Sinatra Group, with guests Sinead O'Connor (Jan Hooks), Billy Idol (Sting), and Steve and Edie Gourmet (Mike Myers and Victoria Jackson).

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post