SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trying to find a dog for my daughters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to find a dog for my daughters Login/Join 
Back in Black
posted
I have two girls, ages 8 and 9 and have been trying for a while to find a dog for them and the family. We are looking for a small breed, not too particular. In their words, something small and cute. We are fine with spending a bit if necessary and would prefer something a little older vs a puppy. We have tried (and continue to check) all the local shelters and they are always cleared out. We have tried breeders and they are all sold out and have huge wait lists. Craigslist and other ads all seem to be scams. I understand demand must be high right now, but this is worse than the ammo shortages of the past. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For smaller breeds, I think Boston Terriers are one of the best.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Check local independent rescues aside from your local pound. There are usually a number of them local to you. Also try Petfinder.com to further extend your reach and options. My only suggestion would be to adopt, don't buy from a breeder. Way too many terrific dogs are euthanized every year than should or need to be. Good luck.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We have three dogs that we purchased from high-end breeders (not puppy mills). Two are Miniature Schnauzers and the third is a Goldendoodle. We really liked the Miniature Schnauzers until we got the Goldendoodle.

The GD is such a sweet and friendly dog and a better fit with our family. The two other dogs are small yappy things.

Highly recommend a Goldendoodle. You can get them in different sizes and they don't shed.

Here is ours...

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For smaller breeds, I think Boston Terriers are one of the best.
They're an option, but personally, I'd prefer a mutt or mixed breed. I've had a couple 'throw away' dogs (what I call my mutts) and they have not only been great temperament wise, but they had little to no health issues, somewhat different than my mom's Boston's encountered.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@LBTRS

Beautiful pup!

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Before saying "that's too large," look up the characteristics of a Malamute and how they protect kids. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
We actually have a full size golden Doodle coming from a high end reputable breeder that I have been very impressed with. They are, however, not taking on any new clients at this time.

As to the golden doodle we have a friend with one and my daughter fell in love with her. They are just so friendly and goofy dogs. It’s funny as the main complaint about golden doodles is they don’t make great watch dogs because they pretty much like everybody and everything. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm not a small dog person, but I'd get West Highland White Terrier if small were my only choice.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Check local independent rescues aside from your local pound. There are usually a number of them local to you. Also try Petfinder.com to further extend your reach and options. My only suggestion would be to adopt, don't buy from a breeder. Way too many terrific dogs are euthanized every year than should or need to be. Good luck.

Agree wholeheartedly!

We have worked with several local rescue groups and are focusing on one, right now.

Most, if not all, post and have links to petfinder.com from their website or fb presence.

It's a challenge, right now, agreed.

Petfinder.com is a good place to start. There will be ways to contact the rescue groups from there.

As for small, cute, non-shedding, etc., Yorkies are at the top of my list. Fearless, affectionate, intelligent, they are wonderful dogs.

My email is in my profile. Please feel free to contact, if I can help.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I have had especially good luck with miniature poodles. Very smart, non hair shedder, non noisy very loving and excellent with children 7=. Likely your girls will loving dolling the pup up.

Good luck

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Have you seen Jackson Maine’s Labradoodle in A Star is Born? Small and gorgeous.

Our Goldendoodle is larger but is probably the best dog we have owned.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I just googled North Carolina animal rescues and there is quite a list.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rescues and mutts are the best dogs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Boston Terrier - my wife and I have owned 3 Bostons, great dogs.

Current one is 10 1/2 month old "Bullitt", my wife is training him for Competition Obedience and/or Rally.

Our last Boston - Becky, was a Teacup Agility dog, had her TACH 5 and placed 2nd in her division in Nationals and 4th overall a couple of years ago.

We have had Boxers too (4 of them, I also had one as a child - LOVE BOXERS)we decided to downsize Smile.

Bostons have great temperaments and are VERY trainable. I like that they have a big dog attitude and are not yappy.

We own a grooming salon and my wife is also an Obedience instructor, we have handled A LOT of different breeds and mix-breed dogs.

We haven't found a small breed dog (or mix) that we prefer over a Boston.

Good luck on your choice!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small Dog = Decker Terrier

Larger = Goldendoodle but from a reputable breeder, not a puppy mill.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to a shelter or rescue & get the one that picks you. You'll know.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I fought to get a large dog as I’ve never been a fan of small dogs but this one has won me over. The most mellow, sweet, non barking dog I’ve ever had.

It’s a Morkie. Which to me is essentially a mutt because it’s a Maltese and Yorkie mix.

No shedding and no allergies. You do have to cut their hair though. She normally sleeps through half of it.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t give a higher recommendation for a breed than the Havanese. Small, friendly, non-shedding, people dogs. Fast becoming a favorite breed in the US. All US dogs came from 12 dogs that escaped Castro’s Cuba. Look for pictures and breed reviews. Everyone that we know that has gotten one has sworn they’ll never own a different small breed. We have three.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Our best dog ever was a border collie black lab mix.
Very smart but also a sweet calm personality.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post