SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trying to find a dog for my daughters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to find a dog for my daughters Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I'm a Pug man.

They are the largest of the Toy breeds.

Yes, they shed like crazy. Did I say they shed.

Nothing like some Pug Love... Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pembroke welsh corgi - big dog personality in a small dog body. Very loyal, good watch dogs. Smart.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ll add a vote towards a Border Collier or Australian Shepherd type. Yes, rescue or ‘rehoming’ is a viable option.

We have a F. GSD, she’s kinda a shedding handful for those uninitiated.

Some depends on where/ how you live, type of property. Most any dog does well as an early warning for security.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo Boston terriers as well. Or a Boston terrier mix. They’re great dogs. We have a Boston terrier/English bulldog mix and she’s awesome. Tons of personality and a total sweetheart when she wants to be.

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLhiker:

Pembroke welsh corgi - big dog personality in a small dog body. Very loyal, good watch dogs. Smart.
My rescue girl Corgi was the best dog I have ever had. Smart, eager to please, loved her family.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Cocker Spaniels so that would be the breed I'd recommend considering as an option. Not the best guard dog, but a really good family pet.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'd recommend a 'home based rescue' group. The dogs are fostered in a home setting, usually with other foster dogs and family owned dogs.

They learn the new rescue's personality, quirks and give a honest evaluation of the dog's requirements. Some will 'no children' 'no cats' no other big dogs, no other small dogs, no children under 6 or 10 etc.

We have adopted three dogs from this rescue group, all have been outstanding. We go for mature to senior age class. It may take a bit looking to find a similar group in your area, but the rewards will be worth it.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For smaller breeds, I think Boston Terriers are one of the best.

I agree. Here's mine:

She's an amazing little creature, rarely barks (an immeasurably huge bonus), and is a 25lb hoot.

Loves hiking, car/truck rides, swimming, she's been to several bars/pubs and just chills, loves people.

A bit excited around new people, but that's probably the only thing keeping her from being a perfect companion dog. She's tough as nails, a dense and fit 25lbs, and has been a very healthy dog.

She was also a grand from a breeder, approaching 10yrs ago.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My friend's wife has two King Charles Spaniels, and they're a bit girly for me but outrageously cute and sweet little floofs of dogs. I imagine little girls would love them. Very gentle little creatures.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Go back to the breeders; look for an older dog (maybe two years ) that’s already finished it’s championship they didn’t want to breed, or a puppy that didn’t turn out...

Italian greyhounds are my breed, and I often see breeders looking for a home for their older pups- but IGS are typically more elegant than cute. These are pups you either love or don’t- some believe they look like a drowned rat on stilts Wink but they are long lived and retain puppyish behavior well into their prime.

It’s really hard to find a mean one- they are sweet tempered and bred for companionship - yet still a sighthound. They are NOT guardians, simply playmates that require companionship, love, and a place on your furniture (and bed). And a leash so they don’t dart after that bunny and get hit by car. They aren’t called pocket rockets for nothing. I’ve clocked mine at about 30 mph, just stretching out. Leg breaks are a thing with some lines.

There are wonderful little mutts at the pound and shelter, but get there early. Consider having the girls volunteer to walk or clean at the shelter so they can have an “in” and also understand the needs of a pet.. my best dogs were mutts. I don’t know that I would consider a purebred dog from the shelter because that would lead me to think they were from a back yard breeder who is not being careful about health issues- pay now or pay later- and hybrid vigor is definitely a thing. If you can get a dog an older dog from a well known breeder - you know that they’ve done their homework and tested for everything related to that breed and cleared it.

Good luck in your search!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Small breeds I like jack russels. They are highly intelligent and can be trained to do most anything. As long as they get exercise (high energy) and attention they are awesome k9's. When I'm too old for Mals and GSD's I'll move to the Jack Russell. Very impressed with the breed when we train around them.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
We got two goldedoodle (F1B) brothers from a known reliable breeder. Both parents were just under fifty pounds; father a poodle & mother a goldendoodle. They're coming up on eleven months old in two weeks & both are north of seventy pounds. They're goofy & loving, but very active. They're great dogs, but we were surprised how they outgrew their parents so quickly.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you are going to get much help from here with your breed questions. Everyone thinks their dog(s) are the best!

Another vote for checking out local rescue groups. Sadly, around here they always have plenty of dogs in need of a home. We have two terrier mixes, each about 25 pounds, that we got from rescues, both great dogs. Loving, playful energetic but not crazy other times couch potatos, smart, healthy, long lived and semi obedient. Not too big, not too small. But that's probably more us not being diligent about training than the dogs. We just over time all food our equilibrium. We got Penny at when she was about a year old and was already housebroken. We got Jaxson about a year later when he was about four weeks old. The rescue group brought him to the house to make sure we and the home were suitable adopters, first thing he did waa crap on a very expensive rug. Housebreaking was a long an messy process but eventually we both figured it out. Only downside is that they both shed but its not that big a deal for us. My wife has become active in assisting and financing rescue groups around here and we see dogs like ours all the time.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. There are some awesome dogs on this forum! I think the main issue is that supply is low due to high demand and we have three people (two girls and my wife) that need to be satisfied with the choice. It is a serious commitment and we want to get it right. I'll keep scouting the shelters and rescue groups and hopefully something will turn up.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Have adopted two young boys (English Springer Spaniels) from ESRA....two Field bred ESS and have had three overall.

They are wonderful and have stolen my wife’s heart for sure.

https://www.springerrescue.org/

They both came from ESRA with better medical records than most humans.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
While I thoroughly agree with a rescue or pound dog, it is not impossible to find a pure bred going that route. Both my last two dogs, were both AKC purebreds. I had a Rottweiler, prior to my current hound, a Boston Terrier.

I’d vote for a Boston as well. Very intelligent, athletic, and sturdy to withstand rough housing with young kids. I use to take my dog to soccer practice when I coached. She loved it as much as the kids. They were originally bred as “city dogs” when Americans first started moving out of the rural areas, and into housing with limited space.

Minimal shedding, and your food and vet bills won’t be as expensive as a larger breed. She is alert enough to “sound the alarm” if she feels something isn’t right. They are a very loyal and loving breed. Anytime someone is sick in my house, she will stay by their side until they feel better, sometimes days on end.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. There are some awesome dogs on this forum! I think the main issue is that supply is low due to high demand and we have three people (two girls and my wife) that need to be satisfied with the choice. It is a serious commitment and we want to get it right. I'll keep scouting the shelters and rescue groups and hopefully something will turn up.

It's a challenge, but hold tight.

We had our second foster dog for at least six months and was beginning to think she might never find her forever home. Our two Yorkies disliked her, because she was quite the alpha personality. We ended up keeping them apart at night, so one of us slept with her and I was lucky to be able to snuggle with my beloved Yorkies Wink

Well, this was not a long term solution. Decided it was best to just pray for her to find her forever family. I just let go and let God. It sure worked. At the very next adoption event a wonderful family walked right up and fell in love with her. It was amazing. It was a blessing. She lived the rest of her life with a real family who loved her truly.

It was from that time that I understood God puts them where they are supposed to be.

It will all work out Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My kids have a cava-poo-shaun. Look them up. They look like teddy bears. They are super smart and DONT SHED. Ours learned to ring a bell when he needed to go outside and pee after just a few tries.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For smaller breeds, I think Boston Terriers are one of the best.

Great call. I've heard that Frenchies also make excellent pals for little kids, and they don't like to freak out barking very often.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post