SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well...we KNEW gas station sushi was not a good idea...now the jury is in on gas station nachos...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well...we KNEW gas station sushi was not a good idea...now the jury is in on gas station nachos... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Also adds another layer to the "truck cheese" debate...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/...on-nacho-cheese.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Five people have been hospitalized after eating nacho cheese from a Sacramento gas station, California officials said.

Officials have connected five botulism illness cases to Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station in the Walnut Grove suburb, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Officials believe the culprit is nacho cheese, but the investigation is ongoing.

Sacramento health officials are also looking into four cases that may be related.

Botulism, a rare food poisoning, can lead to paralysis, breathing difficulty and sometimes death.

One of the people sickened last month has filed a lawsuit against the gas station.

Lavinia Kelly has been in the hospital for three weeks and is unable to speak. Kelly also can't keep her eyelids open, her partner, Ricky Torres said.

Officials have stripped the gas station of its permit to sell food and drinks. Employees have not responded to requests for comment.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe one person has died as a result.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
As a general rule, for things that come from 7/11 or gas stations if it isn't vacuum sealed, I don't want it.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've had outstanding Gas Station Sushi here in Colorado, a legit local Sushi chef, super fresh, made to order, all that. I was skeptical, too, but it was as good as any. Weird, I know.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
A couple personal observations from cross country trips I've made:

1) beware ANY 'egg salad sandwich' in ANY gas station ANY where; There's a reason you've been advised to 'just drive on out of there'.......

2) specifically ponder the oxymoron of "All Night Truck Stop" and "Cut Rate All you can Eat Chinese Buffet" in one end of the building;

3) if you ever discover an actual use of gas station 'green soaked peanuts' please advise;

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I ate breakfast burritos from a bowling alley once, once.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

You should have cut out the middle man and just thrown the burrito in the toilet. Smile

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

You should have cut out the middle man and just thrown the burrito in the toilet. Smile

Now that's funny

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was I high school the best hamburger in town was at the bowling alley. And the only late night place to eat was the bus stop/gas station, ate many a burger there in the wee hours after a night of doing what I shouldn't have been doing.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by logrusmaster:
As a general rule, for things that come from 7/11 or gas stations if it isn't vacuum sealed, I don't want it.

Interestingly, the bacterium that produces botulinum toxin is an anaerobic bacterium. It will only grow in a no oxygen atmosphere. If it is present in food that is vacuum sealed it will proliferate and you get botulism when you eat it.

I'm wondering if the bacteria can survive and grow in the nacho cheese because it's so thick that there would be no oxygen except on the surface.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by logrusmaster:

Interestingly, the bacterium that produces botulinum toxin is an anaerobic bacterium. It will only grow in a no oxygen atmosphere. If it is present in food that is vacuum sealed it will proliferate and you get botulism when you eat it.

I'm wondering if the bacteria can survive and grow in the nacho cheese because it's so thick that there would be no oxygen except on the surface.

Maybe the bacteria was on the filthy nozzle the cheeselike glop was extruded through, onto the delicious chips of golden corn.

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Maybe the bacteria was on the filthy nozzle the cheeselike glop was extruded through, onto the delicious chips of golden corn.

Great. Now I'm not sure whether I want to eat something or throw up.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Dammit, our gas station was slap outta egg salad sammitches this morning, I had to settle for ham and pasteurized cheese food product on white with Mayo.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Dammit, our gas station was slap outta egg salad sammitches this morning, I had to settle for ham and pasteurized cheese food product on white with Mayo.

...."good luck".....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Errybody need a good cleanin out erry so often

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I don't buy gasoline at restaurants...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
There's this place Whoa Nelly Deli We made a point to stop there. Pics My avitar pic was taken near there....at Yosemite.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the rules among long distance motorcycle riders:

NEVER eat a Convenience store Burrito and expect to continue the ride.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post